Old car values.

Man of Honour
/looks at my 1994 Corrado VR6 parked in the garage.

2.9l, 190 bhp, V6 torque, awesome sound, small and light, barely any heavier than a mk2 Golf, slowly apprevciating (well it was until the Wuhan virus hit the world - doubt it is now).

Soldato
After having a little hunt on auto trader just the other day to see if there were any of my first car left for sale I find my self agreeing with this. I came across this listed for sale!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003037951094?

Almsot idential to my first car and its as rubbish now as it was then. If anyone genuinally pays £5000 for that they need their head checking!
That's just ridiculous, that is not representative of reality.

I bought a genuine unmolested Sport on 45,000 miles for £550 and a standard Corsa (for a rally car re-shell) one owner, 70,000 miles, even has flowery interior, for £300.

Soldato
A MK4 Supra made 325hp stock, and optimistically 400hp with an exhaust system and decat.

The B58 in the Mkv Supra is 335hp stock and a decat, opf delete and tune leaves you with 470hp.
Not necessarily arguing against you, however you're doing something of an apples to oranges comparison there.

Yes the tuning on the MK5 is much easier, however that's not actually due to the engine being better it's due to the turbos. The turbos on the MK4 are what limit it to ~400hp from a decat, the engine itself is good for 600hp easy on stock internals it just needs the turbos upgrading or replacing with a big single in order to do that.

It's also not really fair to try and do an apples to apples comparison between a MK4 (or MK3) Supra and, well, a BMW Z4 with a badge on it. They're two different types of car designed for different purposes, of course a roadster is going to weigh less than a grand tourer. A much better comparison would be an R34 Skyline GTR to an R35, or a 300ZX to a 350/370z.

Man of Honour
/looks at my 1994 Corrado VR6 parked in the garage.

2.9l, 190 bhp, V6 torque, awesome sound, small and light, barely any heavier than a mk2 Golf, slowly apprevciating (well it was until the Wuhan virus hit the world - doubt it is now).

Still want another VR6 but most of the Golfs and Corrados are getting on a bit too much now :( plus the Corrados can be crazy expensive if stuff goes wrong.

Soldato
I found a little S1 Rallye yesterday actually, needing a lot of work, has the Gti 1.6 in it. It was hiding away in the middle of nowhere but I know who owns the land.

Was tempted as I doubt they'll go down, still a ton of work though

OcUK Staff
Honda S2000 being going up in value last few years, will they keep going who knows, but market suggest they will due to rarity and such a legendary engine that is all together a very sorted and raw driving experience that modern cars simply cannot offer:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...les--low-owners-andamp-great-history/10539113

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...nda-s2000-16v-------------------2009/10109657

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...story--ap1-facelift--new-formula-red/10538569

Lower miles, updated cars are advertised at big money, that red car was the car that got me re-interested in them as I spotted it at DL when I took the 458 for a service and they want circa 20k for it, they sold it and now its back up for sale elsewhere at 23k so I am guessing either DL sold it, or gave it back to the seller who is now trying to sell it elsewhere.

The low mile big price ones don't sell that often but the bottom priced high milers older ones do that are cheap like 5-8k and the newer average miles cars do seem to move.

Renault Clio 172 Cup / 182 Trophy still seem to fetch good money and now it is becoming dfficult to find them for sale.

Soldato
I think the mega low interest rates we've had for 10+ years now have really spurred this on, my dad is an example of this. He's retired now so whats the point of having money sat in the bank earning you nothing when you could in his case buy a classic lightweight land rover. It'll at worst hold its money and probably appreciate over time and you get to actually enjoy it rather than just looking at a number on your bank statement.

And also most of the bad examples of cars have all rusted away and been scrapped so anything 25+ years old is generally in good condition.

Man of Honour
Not necessarily arguing against you, however you're doing something of an apples to oranges comparison there.

Yes the tuning on the MK5 is much easier, however that's not actually due to the engine being better it's due to the turbos. The turbos on the MK4 are what limit it to ~400hp from a decat, the engine itself is good for 600hp easy on stock internals it just needs the turbos upgrading or replacing with a big single in order to do that.

It's also not really fair to try and do an apples to apples comparison between a MK4 (or MK3) Supra and, well, a BMW Z4 with a badge on it. They're two different types of car designed for different purposes, of course a roadster is going to weigh less than a grand tourer. A much better comparison would be an R34 Skyline GTR to an R35, or a 300ZX to a 350/370z.

I don't think comparing the engines in isolation is particularly apples to oranges. They are both purpose designed high performance inline 6 turbos after all.

Ceramic wheels are the weak point, but that is ultimately another highlight of technological improvements. 25 Years ago that was the best the engineers could do to improve response and spool times. They could have use a steel wheel, but it ultimately didn't fit with what they we're trying to do

I'm certainly not bashing on the 2J though, they did great work with what technology was available

Back
Top Bottom