9900KS overclock pointless?

Associate
so was having a tinker with the pc last night after gaming and wanted to push the overclock a bit more... after bit of fiddling and brief testing managed 5.2Ghz @1.265v

that was enough for the night, so this morning I thought id see if I could improve my time spy score.

completed a run today and score exactly the same as my last run. even though the cpu is now 'faster'. everything else remained the same.

have I hit a point of no improvement or am I missing something?

below is a screen shot of the two runs, left being 5.1 and right being 5.2

any tips/help would be grateful.

JFenBUN.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
TimeSpy is also responsive to RAM tuning. If you have bdie, get to work. Make sure you don't have power limits kicking in. I have an apex also btw.

This is mine: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/42641336

pretty sure power limits are either set to max or disabled.
As for the Ram, I’ve no idea how to make is faster. Last time I up’d it’s speed by 100mhz it didn’t boot haha. So I’ve just left it in XMP.
I just don’t understand why a faster core clock hasn’t improved my score / lowered the gpu score?

Soldato
You only increased your CPU clock by 2% and your CPU score improved by 1%. All of this is within margin of error in a benchmark.

To answer your question...yes

Associate
OP
Associate
Thanks, I shall give this a detailed read and attempt. Though I’m half tempted to just buy faster memory lol. the secondary timings confuse me more so that the initial timings.

It's actually those secondary timings and tertiary timings that matter along with 1T and Mode 2 on the Apex.

Even the faster kits have very loose secondary and tertiary timings just very poor ram performance.

Keep in mind once you tune your ram, it'll speed up but also heat up your cpu a lot more when doing stress testing! No free lunch.

Associate
OP
It's actually those secondary timings and tertiary timings that matter along with 1T and Mode 2 on the Apex.

Even the faster kits have very loose secondary and tertiary timings just very poor ram performance.

Keep in mind once you tune your ram, it'll speed up but also heat up your cpu a lot more when doing stress testing! No free lunch.

hmm interesting about the poor performance on faster kits, I feel some research is required.
id also not considered the extra heat from ram tuning? I peak at 81\82 ish while stress testing now so hopefully have enough thermal room for any increase.

Back
Top Bottom