BMW and M Power Owners

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Does your car have a DPF? If it doesnt then you do not need to get the items replaced, you can have them removed as per Dangerous Dave. This is a few hours labour....

NVP

NVP

Soldato
So I called around and the best I've got is 450 plus a couple hours labour at 250 to do the flaps and egr but I have to provide the blanking plate. Then I'd have to get the oil service, battery and mot. Plus the cost of getting it towed there. I think I'd rather these guys just sort it all for the 2.1k and then I'll take it from there.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
£450 plus the labour and you have to provide the parts as well...? What is the £450 for? :)

Either way, best to fix it. The car isnt a write off just yet

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Erm.. for the map? Or coding or something?

Yep, glad I posted here actually. Let's hope I can salvage some £ :)

Thanks guys

Soldato
£2.1k from an indy is expensive tbh.

If you wanted to be a diesel warrior. Gutting dpf/egr/flaps including labour id imagine you would save a grand. Doesn’t take long to remove an inlet tbh. On the m57 it’s easy lol.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Don't want anything to do with diesel anymore. I only removed the dpf because the garage suggested it would resolve my drive train issue.

Yeh this place is slightly more expensive than the independent guys on industrial estates but I don't actually know anyone around this way that I would be able to put trust in to.

Soldato
Don't want anything to do with diesel anymore. I only removed the dpf because the garage suggested it would resolve my drive train issue.

Yeh this place is slightly more expensive than the independent guys on industrial estates but I don't actually know anyone around this way that I would be able to put trust in to.

where are you located? If your dpf is indeed gutted. Then swirl flap blank/egr and egr cooler delete and the car should be fine. The parts don’t cost much tbh. You’d only be paying for labour of fitting. Bimmertune sells the parts required you can find them on eBay. Good quality parts too.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Honestly appreciated however the job's already underway, so let's just hope I can get a good price. Reckon I'll get more than Dr Houses? ;)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Got her back today all fixed and MOT'd - no warnings on dash anymore so bonus.

Somehow, the internal mirror housing has come loose so I just need to glue that back and then it's going to be picture time.

Finally checked the mileage, it is only 128k surprisingly. Makes sense as I have had 3-4 months off work each year the past 2 years.

So with that in mind, how much would you pay for an:

2011 535D M-Sport Estate
128k mileage
Sophistos Grey

Options List:
S223A Electronic Damper Control EDC
S229A Dynamic Drive
S2NBA BMW LA Wheel M Double Spoke 351
S2VAA Chassis Suspens Setup Adaptive Drive
S2VHA Integral Active Steering (4 wheel steering)
S322A Comfort Access
S323A SoftClose Automatic Doors
S3AGA Reversing Camera
S402A Electric Panoramic Roof
S417A Roller Sun Vizor Rear Door
S418A Luggage Compartment Package
S456A Comfort Seat With Memory
S494A Seat Heating Driver And Passenger
S496A Seat Heating Rear
S4NBA Autom Climate Control With 4zone Ctrl
S522A Xenon Light
S524A Adaptive Headlights
S5ACA Highbeam Assistant
S5DLA Surround View
S5DPA Park Assistent
S677A HiFi System Professional DSP
S8TFA Active Pedestrian Protection
S8THA Road Sign Detection

What price should I put it up for? 8.5k? 7.5k? 10.5k?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What is the point currently? Nobody can legally come round and have a look at it anyway and who knows what the market will look like when its over.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
What's the harm in not?

What would you advise to put it up for?

Also my wifes car (f30 320i) is asking for 1L of oil, I've got some 5w30 Mobil 1, is that good enough quality or should I get some Castrol?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What's the harm in not?

it is a pointless waste of money for the Autotrader advert! You can't sell it currently, put it on the market when you can. Anything else is a waste of time and money and people will be able to spot its been up for a while and use it as a negotiation tactic.

I genuinely have no idea. Who knows? Prior to CV I'd have said £10k or so sounds fair given the spec etc but now? It's anyones guess what anything is worth. There is no market for cars.

Soldato
What's the harm in not?

Looking at the current listings on AT, put it up for £9k and be prepared to let it go for something closer to £8k. Most buyers won't care if it's a 535d or a 530d as they both come with the same N57 engine. But the high spec may offset the rather high mileage on your car.

But as Fox said, chances are you won't be able to shift it for a few months and then you're risking a flood of pre-reg cars and another wave of cars around your car's age shorting the market.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
it is a pointless waste of money for the Autotrader advert! You can't sell it currently, put it on the market when you can. Anything else is a waste of time and money and people will be able to spot its been up for a while and use it as a negotiation tactic.
£60 for 6 weeks on AT, free on Gumtree - worth it just for the chance someone fancies it, legalities aside.

I genuinely have no idea. Who knows? Prior to CV I'd have said £10k or so sounds fair given the spec etc but now? It's anyones guess what anything is worth. There is no market for cars.
Thanks, that was my original figure but doubt crept in and I swayed more towards the "7k if lucky" region.

Looking at the current listings on AT, put it up for £9k and be prepared to let it go for something closer to £8k. Most buyers won't care if it's a 535d or a 530d as they both come with the same N57 engine. But the high spec may offset the rather high mileage on your car.
Yeh, I might just leave it up at a round 10 for a little then reevaluate once that's up. Worth a shot, hey?

Soldato
£10k seems fair for a touring if the body work is really really good for the age. But you’ll probably get low ball offers of £6k cash today. That’s the sort of attention these cars attract now.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Bodywork is immaculate bar the usual stone chips and 1 small ~1cm ding on the rear wheel arch where the wind whacked the wifeys pug door with force.

Yeh, fully expecting offers from people like my younger self :D

Thanks again for all the advice.

Soldato

I don't understand why this is a warning to potential buyers of the hybrid.

The below is a more balanced article that shows the most obvious pros and cons of getting the 330e. As pointless as it seems to a lot of people, I think it may have some appeal to drivers who do a lot of short journeys in a city with occasional venturing out of town.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/3-series/2020/four-reasons-shouldnt-get-bmw-330e/

Not sure about the new model, but in an F30, the hybrid has clear efficiency advantage in normal driving, with HJ's Real MPG claiming 51.7 MPG average for 330e vs 34.6 MPG average in 330i.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/bmw/3-series-2012

Back
Top Bottom