Anyone recommend a mesh which shows per device usage (real time)?

Soldato
Seems like a fairly obvious feature to have, the ability to see what's connected to your mesh, and how much data it's using real time, or over a period.

I was looking to get a TP-Link Deco M4 or P9, but they don't appear to offer this :(

Anyone able to recommend a similar reasonable spec mesh that does offer this sort of feature?

Permabanned
That's solely a wireless access point? So you won't see what your wired network is doing etc?

No you won’t, you only asked to see what is connected to the mesh, not what is wired also.

Meraki would be your best bet there. You can get a cheap 8 port switch from eBay. But there is licensing involved after the trial expires.

That’s the best for what you’re asking.

I’m guessing you don’t have a home dev server or anything? There’s software that will do what you want for free.

Soldato
OP
No you won’t, you only asked to see what is connected to the mesh, not what is wired also.

Meraki would be your best bet there. You can get a cheap 8 port switch from eBay. But there is licensing involved after the trial expires.

That’s the best for what you’re asking.

I’m guessing you don’t have a home dev server or anything? There’s software that will do what you want for free.
Yeh, after anything and everything connected through the mesh. ie: I'd like to know if I'm slow because my son's (wired) XBox is downloading for example...

Meraki seems to be AP orientated too? And very corporate?

I'm sure Google Mesh offer per device stats (https://www.howtogeek.com/297012/how-to-view-your-networks-data-usage-on-google-wi-fi/ ), but they're expensive in comparison to alternatives. I'll look at Amplifi's cheaper options and see if they offer it...

Soldato
We have a Tenda MW3 Mesh network and for the money I think it is great. It allows me to view real time usage via the app, as well as create parental control groups, so I can control the kids internet usage across all of their devices from my phone. We have a reasonably large extended 1930's semi and it covers the whole house with ease and I've only actually plugged two of the units in! I would recommend even at twice the price, I think its a bargain.

Permabanned
Yeh, after anything and everything connected through the mesh. ie: I'd like to know if I'm slow because my son's (wired) XBox is downloading for example...

Meraki seems to be AP orientated too? And very corporate?

I'm sure Google Mesh offer per device stats (https://www.howtogeek.com/297012/how-to-view-your-networks-data-usage-on-google-wi-fi/ ), but they're expensive in comparison to alternatives. I'll look at Amplifi's cheaper options and see if they offer it...

You don’t need any of their APs

Just one switch at the root of your network & you have live and historical stats for every device on network.

I had a quick look and you can get a new or nearly new one for about £100.

Then you can use your existing WiFi, unless it’s from the ISP router.

What do you have now?

If you need the meshed WiFi extension function, then that Google solution might be best for you.

Soldato
OP
We have a Tenda MW3 Mesh network and for the money I think it is great. It allows me to view real time usage via the app, as well as create parental control groups, so I can control the kids internet usage across all of their devices from my phone. We have a reasonably large extended 1930's semi and it covers the whole house with ease and I've only actually plugged two of the units in! I would recommend even at twice the price, I think its a bargain.
Thanks! Does it show historical usage stats at all out of interest?

Soldato
OP
You don’t need any of their APs

Just one switch at the root of your network & you have live and historical stats for every device on network.

I had a quick look and you can get a new or nearly new one for about £100.

Then you can use your existing WiFi, unless it’s from the ISP router.

What do you have now?

If you need the meshed WiFi extension function, then that Google solution might be best for you.
Thanks I understand now...

Alas, yes, I have a sky router at the moment.

Permabanned
^ Appears not, and I believe it will only show current usage for wireless connections. Nothing for wired? Seems odd!

That’s normal... as I mentioned “Mesh” is a wireless solution, designed to extend range to places that are impossible or unreasonably expensive to reach with cable.

Many mesh solutions will, however, allow you to bridge the wireless back to wired. Often these bridged connections will be included in whatever connectivity statistics are available.

As for data, any historical data figures require a surprisingly large amount of data storage for such a device and would increase the price noticeably. Or it would be cloud based and then you’d need a subscription.

Seeing as most people don’t care about this kind of functionality, cost efficiency wins.

If your Sky router covers the whole house already with good enough WiFi signal. You have no need for a mesh solution. Or is there a really weak point in your home?

Soldato
OP
That’s normal... as I mentioned “Mesh” is a wireless solution, designed to extend range to places that are impossible or unreasonably expensive to reach with cable.

Many mesh solutions will, however, allow you to bridge the wireless back to wired. Often these bridged connections will be included in whatever connectivity statistics are available.

As for data, any historical data figures require a surprisingly large amount of data storage for such a device and would increase the price noticeably. Or it would be cloud based and then you’d need a subscription.

Seeing as most people don’t care about this kind of functionality, cost efficiency wins.

If your Sky router covers the whole house already with good enough WiFi signal. You have no need for a mesh solution. Or is there a really weak point in your home?
I have the new router and one of the new boosters, I experience little cut outs from time to time, and have to augment my garage with another wireless AP.

As regards showing stats for wired (& wireless) connections, surely many of these mesh units can also act as a router, and dishing out the network IP address and the like. For them to then only solely be interested in wireless stats, and not wired, seems odd?

If Google Wifi does this too - only showing its stats for wifi traffic, not wired - then :( - https://www.howtogeek.com/297012/how-to-view-your-networks-data-usage-on-google-wi-fi/

Permabanned
If the base station device acts as a router also, then there should be some data available for wired devices yes. Exactly what level that goes to, I can't confirm.

I use enterprise grade stuff at home.

If you want cost-effective & comprehensive data... look at Mikrotik.

It will take a bit more effort to setup than something like the google offering that would be closer to plug and play.

Soldato
OP
Having checked, the TP-Link Deco M4 shows all devices attached (wireless or wired) and their current data usage (along with what node they're attached too).

If the Google Wifi Mesh does likewise, along with the option to show usage over a number of time periods (eg: daily/monthly), that would be very nice!

Permabanned
I would assume that the Google variant does, yes.

You can always buy, check & return under DSR if it doesn't have the functionality you want.

TP-Link are terrible & unreliable. I would be more likely to trust the Google hardware, although I'm unsure if they outsourced their OEM. A quick google (lol) suggests not.

Back
Top Bottom