EBay Impact Wrenches

Associate
I keep looking at these but I invested in a large compressor a few year back and have a big impact gun already. Also have a smaller one which is ideal for general disassembly, that gets used more to be honest.

Also have a Makita impact driver that does for really small stuff but I generally use hand tools so that stays on the van unless it's for something awkward.

I do keep meaning to buy a reliable air ratchet as the one I've got doesn't always work, they're noisey though so it only really gets used in a tight space where I can't get much of a turn on the hand ratchet.

Caporegime
And that helps me be mobile with it how?

How mobile do you want to be? My compressor can go right across my front drive and that has room for 4-5 cars. Unless you're a mobile mechanic where else do you need the use of an impact gun apart from the garage? I have never been on a track day for example and missed my impact gun. The little battery impact drivers are handy to have to save on ratcheting off nuts however and for D.I.Y around the house.

My point being is you are looking to spend £500 on an impact gun. You could spent £300-400 on a decent compressor and £100 on a wrench that will do something silly like 800-1000nm. You then also have a compressor at the end of it that has a plethora of attachments and uses.

Associate
I've used a Makita DTW1002Z which claims to have 1000nm max fastening torque and 1600nm of nut busting force, nothing I tried it on was a problem for it, but it was quite big and bulky. I've been looking at one similar to the one in the op, but i've already got a compressor and a snapon impact gun and loads of other air tools. Was looking at the battery one to keep in the car as i've already got makita kit so have batteries and would probably use it more at work where I can't get the compressor to easily.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I always wanted an impact gun but never looked into them and made the mistake of just assuming they were £500-£1000 for one that works, so I've just continued wrenching on my cars and the amount of cars I pulled apart and put back together one would certainly save me a lot of time.

As I have a Makita drill, that has been superb, had it five years now, I just ordered one of these Ebay specials, feel it will come in very handy on the S2000 and save me a lot of wrenching time, I shall feedback here when I get it and use it how it performs as the S2000 has plenty of rusted and corroded bolts for it to undo as I continue to maintain and upgrade the car, if it actually works and works well then for under £50 no complaints.

Associate
Went and bought one earlier as well, can never have too many tools right?

With having Makita kit anyway it's worth the punt for £32.

Soldato
Looks similar to the wrench in this 'review' by AvE, he seems to think it's really decent for the money (excuse his 'Canadianisms'). I'd have bought one if I didn't still have a NiCad Makita drill:

Is he spinning them against each other? :eek:

Permabanned
Hi there

I always wanted an impact gun but never looked into them and made the mistake of just assuming they were £500-£1000 for one that works, so I've just continued wrenching on my cars and the amount of cars I pulled apart and put back together one would certainly save me a lot of time.

As I have a Makita drill, that has been superb, had it five years now, I just ordered one of these Ebay specials, feel it will come in very handy on the S2000 and save me a lot of wrenching time, I shall feedback here when I get it and use it how it performs as the S2000 has plenty of rusted and corroded bolts for it to undo as I continue to maintain and upgrade the car, if it actually works and works well then for under £50 no complaints.
Lol he drives a Ferrari but skimps on a impact gun :D.

Nether the less I wouldn’t mind some feed back as a 1/2” drive would come in handy.

Soldato
How mobile do you want to be? My compressor can go right across my front drive and that has room for 4-5 cars. Unless you're a mobile mechanic where else do you need the use of an impact gun apart from the garage? I have never been on a track day for example and missed my impact gun. The little battery impact drivers are handy to have to save on ratcheting off nuts however and for D.I.Y around the house.

My point being is you are looking to spend £500 on an impact gun. You could spent £300-400 on a decent compressor and £100 on a wrench that will do something silly like 800-1000nm. You then also have a compressor at the end of it that has a plethora of attachments and uses.

I already have a compressor :) I just didn't want a windy gun.

OcUK Staff
Lol he drives a Ferrari but skimps on a impact gun :D.

Nether the less I wouldn’t mind some feed back as a 1/2” drive would come in handy.

That is why I drive a Ferrari, why spend £500 on product A if product B at £50 can do the job. At under £50 its worth a bash, if it just turn out junk I will just stick with hand wrenching or just go and buy a more decent one as its a tool I should have got years ago.

Permabanned
That is why I drive a Ferrari, why spend £500 on product A if product B at £50 can do the job. At under £50 its worth a bash, if it just turn out junk I will just stick with hand wrenching or just go and buy a more decent one as its a tool I should have got years ago.
No I completely understand that why I will never spend £1000+ on a gpu when a lesser one will do what I need it too.

In hindsight had I of known me not spending £130 on a impact gun would lead me to ending up with a Ferrari I may of had second thoughts :p.

Want to swap my gun for your car lol. Tongue in cheek.

Soldato
You shouldn't be doing up your wheels with a rattle gun and a simple tyre wrench will be able to change tyres. The fact is you very rarely have the need to take a rattle gun away from the garage and a compressor one is far better.

Using the little battery operated ones that use screwdriver bits I get completely as they are a godsend for diy.
I use 1/2" & 3/4" inch impact wrenches everyday at work ;)

VJGNlLJ.jpg

Associate
Take the torque figures they publish with a pinch of salt, the smaller machines are pretty useless on cars, i have the small bosch and the big high torque bosch, the small one struggles with wheel studs where the big one im yet to find anything it won’t undo but its twice the size.

Permabanned
Take the torque figures they publish with a pinch of salt, the smaller machines are pretty useless on cars, i have the small bosch and the big high torque bosch, the small one struggles with wheel studs where the big one im yet to find anything it won’t undo but its twice the size.
They both have their uses the 3/8” is perfect for smaller stuff possibly up to m10, it’s easier to use due to the lighter weight and smaller body size, 1/2” for the bigger bolts etc.

I only have a 3/8 but it’s good enough for me. I just crack wheel bolts off with a breaker bar then wiz them out, to put them back I do the reverse then torque them up to the correct value. Easy. I’ve actually had a garage break my locking wheel nut using an impact gun I suspect then blamed me for over tightening them, they also left me to remove the broken locking wheel but. It won’t happen again as I make sure they are torqued up properly.

Having both is the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom