You forgot to remind me...

Associate
Would anyone mind sharing their opinion on the following scenarios. Sorry for the length, comments appreciated.

A manager arranged a meeting with a colleague, John, at work (its a new job for me) . The appointment time came and went without the meeting taking place and the manager said to me "John has forgotten to remind me that we had a meeting, I'll have to have words with him".

Now this struck me as odd, as it seemed the manager was trying to blame someone else for his own failure. The way I see it, it was the manager who set the appointment and it was his responsibility to keep to it (John isn't a PA or anything like that).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm seeing a lot of things going wrong, and it seems to me to stem from a lack of leadership.

Another example is when I presented some research to a manager and pointed out there were several things that required attention. She didn't look at the report due to time, she says, but blamed me for not telling her what aspects I thought required attention.

Another colleague was told to redesign some equipment to make it work better which meant taking it off line for quite some time, but management still accepted work from customers which required the use of the equipment. Said colleague is being blamed for not getting the redesign done, but how can she when it's being used?

I'm beginning to feel that I don't fit in at this new company - everything seems to work backwards to me and I'm thinking it's a blame culture.

Do the above scenarios seem strange to anyone else? I've never come across this kind of behaviour before. Thanks for any comments.

Associate
Sounds normal, but more detail would be required to form a proper opinion.

Majority of management are poor due to self interest, complacency, money driven, laziness, etc etc. If a scapegoat exists, expect it to be taken.

I don't know your role, job, prospects, etc, so can't even say if looking elsewhere is viable, sensible, etc

Soldato
For the most part whilst a lot of people are working from home management have got **** all to do. Ours are spending their time having 2 hour daily teams CV19 meetings and sending belated birthday wishes to the staff. When they aren't tied up with those important tasks they are preventing the rest of us working by organising virtual meetings to tell us how important we are are and how we must keep productivity up.

Soldato
Interesting 1st post!

Sounds like typical bad management to me.

Agreed. Standard “why didn’t X do my job for me?” whinge from a manager.

The person that calls a meting is responsible for reminding the attendees, publishing an agenda and reserving the meeting venue and required IT resources.

That’s the way it’s supposed to work anyway.

Caporegime
For the most part whilst a lot of people are working from home management have got **** all to do. Ours are spending their time having 2 hour daily teams CV19 meetings and sending belated birthday wishes to the staff. When they aren't tied up with those important tasks they are preventing the rest of us working by organising virtual meetings to tell us how important we are are and how we must keep productivity up.

I'm at work every day. Putting longer hours in than standard. Guess I've got **** all to do though.

Caporegime
You surely can spare some time to brush up on your reading skills?

Should utilise the time to work on your sentence construction.

Your sentence, broken down, states a lot of people are working from home and as a result management have got nothing to do a lot of the time. I'm guessing from your comment what you actually mean is a lot of managers have nothing to do. Not all, but a lot.

That's not what you wrote.

Soldato

Your sentence, broken down, states a lot of people are working from home and as a result management have got nothing to do a lot of the time. I'm guessing from your comment what you actually mean is a lot of managers have nothing to do. Not all, but a lot.

Definition of 'for the most part'
for the most part
phrase
For the most part means mostly or usually.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/for-the-most-part

It means mostly OR usually, so broken down my sentence means exactly what I meant it to. Mostly, managers have nothing to do.

Caporegime
It means mostly OR usually, so broken down my sentence means exactly what I meant it to. Mostly, managers have nothing to do.

Yeah...no. You've still got it wrong. You put 'for the most part' in front of the people working from home, not the managers bit.

And, your clarification is contradicting your earlier reply to me. What you seem to mean again, but can't seem to write, is that most managers have nothing to do. Not managers (which implies all managers everywhere) have mostly nothing to do (they have a lot of free time but some busy time), which is what you've just written.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees these examples as poor management. Another trait I've spotted is the vast majority of managers at this place seem to default to disagreement. You could say grass is green and they'd say it's blue, but would change their minds the moment you agree with them. It's infuriating and I'm struggling to cope with the irrationality of it all.

What makes me angry is that in the interview for the job, I was asked the usual questions on such things as conflicting priorities, heavy workload etc and my answers very much said that I thought of these as symptoms of poor management and should be exceptional rather than the norm. I'm guessing they didn't recognise themselves from my answers.

I'm definitely looking for a new job (I know prospects aren't great at the moment) but I need to get out of this company. I'm constantly on edge, looking over my shoulder and bringing work home with me mentally which has never happened to me before (and it's nothing to do with coronavirus either).

Thanks again for comments, and sorry for the ramble! Just good to know tgat it's not me, it's them.

Associate
OP
I've been in employment for around 20 years now. I was a manager at a medium sized private firm that went under 2 years ago following the passing away of the owner. Started off as an apprentice and worked my way up. After a short stint of unemployment I took up my current role as a supervisor.

Soldato

It’s got to be said, his sentence was fine. You’ve misinterpreted his generalised statement, took it personally and replied as if it was directed at you specifically.

That’s not his fault, it’s yours.

Caporegime
It’s got to be said, his sentence was fine. You’ve misinterpreted his generalised statement, took it personally and replied as if it was directed at you specifically.

That’s not his fault, it’s yours.

You be literally just stated his was a generalised statement. So not particular to his company. He's arguing he's talking about his company. So which is it? General or specific?

Soldato
Thing is.... literally every company i have worked for ends up like this. The managers NEVER make mistakes... its always another reason the thing went wrong totally outside their control! which begs the question what exactly DO they control :p

Keep your head down, watch for issues and dodge or distance yourself when the bomb drops and keep your mouth closed if you wish to stay in the job..... :p

Soldato
Sorry op I was going to offer some advice but my assistant forgot to remind me. Will be having a word with him later that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom