Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
For those of your trading in US shares, how are you doing the GBP to USD exchange? Are you using a UK broker and letting them doing the conversion with what I presume will be a small mark-up or is there a trading account that you can add a despoit in USD after doing the exchange yourself at a more competitve rate?

I use IBKR - you can trade Forex too at spot rates with basically no spread (0.5 to 1 pip) to convert your currency.

Can deposit and withdraw in all major currencies.

Associate
I use IBKR - you can trade Forex too at spot rates with basically no spread (0.5 to 1 pip) to convert your currency.

Can deposit and withdraw in all major currencies.
Thanks for that. You recommended them a couple of pages back as an alternative to HL so I'll certainly take a look at them as I would like the option of trading US stocks without getting stung with too many fees.

Soldato
Thanks for that. You recommended them a couple of pages back as an alternative to HL so I'll certainly take a look at them as I would like the option of trading US stocks without getting stung with too many fees.

It really depends on your account size / how active you are if it's worth it.

IBKR has $10 / month inactivity fees if holdings are under $100k equivalent and data feeds (ie. live prices) require a subscription. But this cancels out quickly in the fees you save (US stocks / ETFs are $0.005 per share with a $1 minimum)

There's also introducing brokers such as Captrader which is basically a white label for IBKR which doesn't have the inactivity fees but higher trading fees :

https://www.captrader.com/en/account/commissions/
https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1590&p=stocks1

Soldato
The next couple of weeks is going to be interesting. My take is that the markets have currently priced in an almost complete return to normality by next year.

Vaccine development, and the numbers coming out of countries that are starting to ease their lockdowns are going to be big news. No one at this stage has a clue whether this is a temporary blip, or will lead to permanent changes to the way we live.

Associate
There are quite a few chartists pointing to a bull trap over the weekend as we stand which i'd tend to agree with. Could see a significant downward move over the next few days if so.

Soldato
FOr a whole market yea but uneconomic oil wells are normal. Canada has tar sands oil or something really a pain to extract but in profit over $100 maybe. Sour oil in Venezuela I wonder if they've made anything much for a while; these are the worlds largest known reserves.
If this problem crashed that regime you have a clear benefit for longer term but apparently the army there is shipping drugs instead of oil now for business. Somebody has to be benefiting from cheap energy, some massive project. They can run desalination machines in near desert countries, just got to transport it there, then grow the agriculture, build markets all of which is long term but May contract is right now. Contango I think that is

Same thing happened in '08 even in UK they paid certain docks to shore up container ships full of oil. They have their reasons to not just hold off production I guess.
Advocates argue shutting down these wells even temporarily could leave them unable to start up again, wasting the remaining oil and gas. But this presupposes the remainder has positive economic value, an increasingly dubious proposition in an oil market barreling toward peak demand. Factoring in the cost of decommissioning these wells only reinforces this math but, ironically, avoiding that cost also reinforces the desire to cling on.

imo lots of prices wont be the same long term; we dont complain about 10yr bond but its not real imo. The market has the job of making them accurate and more reliable so that business can plan. zero cost oil would make us all rich in theory, but its not going to happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Minus $37/barrel for WTI! Interesting that Brent is still in the 20s. Is there just more storage capacity for it?

Brent is more international where there is still some storage capacity - WTI is for delivery in Oklahoma where there's no current capacity.

Retail investors are also apparently screwing up the market by buying up ETFs like USO which now holds 30% of the OI on June WTI futures

Back
Top Bottom