• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
On pricing, this year is going to be difficult to predict I think. If you look at the Xbox One which was released at USD499 and GBP425... at the time (release day), the exchange rate meant GBP425 was about US699 (incl tax).

So if (and it's a really big if for all sorts of reasons) they did the same markup on a RRP of USD499 today (USD699) it would be GBP559. You can thank Brexit for that.

But of course, they lock in prices long before release. We can't really tell when that is. Also, exchange rate is only a portion of what they look at (local market forces, and what people can afford to pay is obviously another). But also, thats based on the same US price, not accounting for inflation, or the idea this is the powerful (premium) version of possibly two. Finally not forgetting Kinect inflated the original cost.

I don't think I'd hold my breath for less than GBP560 though, for the Series X.

I'm in Australia though, things look even worse for me. Release price was AUD599... which was about USD555 at the time (release day exchange rates) Now that'd be AUD870 ish. Yikes!! To make it worse, when prices were probably set, the AUD was at an all time high against the USD... so it probably would have been almost parity with the USD.

All of that is before the COVID crisis... so who knows!!

I doubt I'll be able to afford both consoles this year though, that's for sure.

Soldato
I'm in Australia though, things look even worse for me.

Yeap, I've not been in Aus for all that long (just over 4 years now) so still consider myself a newbie, but talking to some of my Aussie / Kiwi workmates, they reckon we'd be paying $1k. If not exactly, it won't be far off.

ps: I remember your forum name, didn't we used to play UT2004 together back in the day?

Caporegime
Stumbled up on an article about the new Xbox the other day and this might be the first console generation in a while that i can get on board with. I bought an Xbox One X last year but sold it pretty swiftly as loading times were just horrendous (even using a usb ssd). I know it sounds petty, but loading games on current gen consoles is just painfully slow in comparison to an ssd equipped PC. Every time i try to go back to console from PC i end up going back to just the PC (i'm not going to sing the absolute praises of PC gaming though, as that his its faults and annoyances too).

The fact this has a NVME SSD is very promising indeed.

Caporegime
Stumbled up on an article about the new Xbox the other day and this might be the first console generation in a while that i can get on board with. I bought an Xbox One X last year but sold it pretty swiftly as loading times were just horrendous (even using a usb ssd). I know it sounds petty, but loading games on current gen consoles is just painfully slow in comparison to an ssd equipped PC. Every time i try to go back to console from PC i end up going back to just the PC (i'm not going to sing the absolute praises of PC gaming though, as that his its faults and annoyances too).

The fact this has a NVME SSD is very promising indeed.
Not petty at all, I find it painful playing on console now because of loading times. Games like AC and RDR2 push me beyond my safe sanity levels.

Soldato
Loading times is one of the reasons I rarely turn my consoles on these days. By the time you actually get in to a game after you download this update and that I might as well not bother!

Last edited:
Soldato
Loading times is one of the reasons I rarely turn my consoles on these days. By the time you actually get in to a game after inners you download this update and that I might as well not bother!

not always the case but sometimes it is for me too, sometimes I just wanna jump in over watch for a quick 15 minute game but then I remember how long it will take just to get into the game and lose all motivation

Soldato
The xbox's sleep mode is very handy. I find a console more of a "dip in" kind of experience so being able to jump in and out quickly is helpful. Doom 2016 & RDR2 are painful though, to say the least. Am I right in thinking even the X has a 5400rpm spinner?

Soldato
PS5 and Xbox Series X next gen gameplay for the new Assasina Creed will be shown in a few hours - that's what the rumours say

Soldato
And I bet it won't look much different to AC Odyssey. I hope to be proven completely wrong though.

odyssey is absolutely fantastic so that would not be a bad thing

butvi want to belive they will make use of next gen power for improved weather systems, improved physics, more diverse AI and NPC, more complex animations, larger worlds, no load times and of course better graphics

Soldato
No, that's the IR blaster feature of the Xbox. For HDMI-CEC, if you switch the Xbox on, it should automatically turn the TV on and change to the correct HDMI input. But it doesn't.

It also allows you to navigate around the menu of the console, app or DVD/blu-ray that you are watching. I do have the media remote for the xbox, but it's another thing to buy when the technology to do this is already there.

Man of Honour
It also allows you to navigate around the menu of the console, app or DVD/blu-ray that you are watching. I do have the media remote for the xbox, but it's another thing to buy when the technology to do this is already there.

My One X automatically turned on when I switched my TV on and let me navigate with the TV remote until I turned the feature off.

Back
Top Bottom