Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
It was tongue in cheek as it’s hardly the time of driving cars for fun is it.

although I guess it touched a nerve as the FD2 does just sit around I guess ?
The FD2 is used for track days mainly, but I don’t think I did any last year. I try and drive it once a month if I can. I was intending on doing more track days this year but that’s gone down the pan due to COVID-19. As has going for a drive in the lovely weather. So currently it’s sat in the garage with a flat battery. :(

Caporegime
Yeh that what I meant. Such a waste having a nice car at moment. I got one that’s been sat on my drive since June 2019 with stuck on brake disks. Think i got to the stage where I’ve got old and the NVH etc is too loud. Plus the M3 is an S2000 on steroids.

At least you haven’t got a car that’s £550 a year to tax sat around doing nothing.

Man of Honour
OP
I do a weekly shopping run and drop it off at the girlfriends mums house. It’s about a 10 mile round trip. It’d be lovely to do that in an S2000 but at least the M140i gives me a smile on the way back as there’s a shirt dual carriageway to stretch its legs.

Also my girlfriend thinks the S2000 isn’t good looking and looks dated. :(

Associate
I do a weekly shopping run and drop it off at the girlfriends mums house. It’s about a 10 mile round trip. It’d be lovely to do that in an S2000 but at least the M140i gives me a smile on the way back as there’s a shirt dual carriageway to stretch its legs.

Also my girlfriend thinks the S2000 isn’t good looking and looks dated. :(

Time for new g/f.:D

Associate
Just done a few jobs on my DC2 before I am 100% happy with it.

Took the wheels off to clean them properly:

10LYME.jpg

Also decided to restore the headlights as they have gone a bit cloudy. Instead of doing them in place, I decided to take them off and do them off the car. As it's a bumper off job, also gave it a clean behind the bumper. Other than the overspray from the underseal, I am surprised how clean it is behind the bumper:

bulkG8.jpg

Just a comparison between 1 finished and the other still to be done. Not 100% happy as there are still some swirl marks on the lenses that I can't get rid of, but it's OK for now:

Lg7AKU.jpg

Much better and I made the mistake of not marking everything up before taking them off, took me ages to get all the panel gaps right:

8HIf2u.jpg

Next job valve clearance.

Associate
Did the valve clearance. It was a bit of a pain because I couldn't get my deep offset ring spanner in so that I can pre-tighten the lock nut while holding the adjust screw:

rrSWQZ.jpg

Not enough clearance for my crow foot either so I had to back the adjust screw off and let the lock nut bring it back round to the correct clearance. Took a bit longer to get it right. Just can't justify buying the special tool for a job that gets done once in a few years.

Did some measurement before adjustment. Intake is consistently a thou over top spec and exhaust consistently 2 thou over so it did need bringing back in.

Set everything to around 1/4 of a thou over bottom spec. Went for the supermarket run earlier this morning and the only difference is it doesn't sound as "angry wasp" as it did previously on high rev which I suppose is a good thing.

Also took a peek at the timing belt / tensioner / water pump and they definitely been done when it was imported as I asked. Belt tension also set correctly which is good. The only annoying bit is one of the head cover bolts was loose.

Associate
Yes, 98 spec, completely standard other than a very subtle stainless exhaust and a aftermarket stereo. Quite high mileage at 80K though.

I was set to do a fresh import and originally wanted a phoenix yellow DC2 or EK9. A yellow EK9 did come up about a month into the process, I was going to put a silly high bid in (£15K) as it was also an RX. Pulled out after the inspection though as it was well ropey, but someone ended up paying £18K for it anyway.

At that point, I think by the time a decent yellow DC2/EK9 comes up, it will be way over budget so I ended up with a good CW DC2 instead. Not really taken any pictures but had some decent ones from the importer.

U8F5tJ.jpg

T7MVnr.jpg

fV3cqr.jpg

zxT6sQ.jpg

cWxPfo.jpg

Z74I0O.jpg

Associate
Ahh very nice, I remember that car passing through Torque not too long ago! They (Darren) imported my DC5 for me a couple of years ago. I’d contemplated another DC2 at the time but they’re so hard to find now. Oddly enough I say that as a 4.5 B ‘98 Spec passes through auction today :rolleyes:

Looks a great example - Fondly remember mine :cool:

Associate
It is indeed undersealed and also had cavity wax done by the importer. It never comes out when there is any sign of grit / rain though and stay in a carcoon over winter.

Had a look at that 4.5B one that went through as well, I think the main selling point is it only had 37K km on the clock, does look very clean and all standard other than a Mugen exhaust. Would have jumped on that if I am still looking.

Saying that the grading sometimes don't mean much. The really ropey EK9 I nearly bidded on was a 4C. I feel really sorry for whoever paid £18K for it. Still have some pictures from the inspection:

fTNQFv.jpg

hVycfg.jpg

9sdq20.jpg

BOPl6v.jpg

Mine was a 3.5 but turned out to be pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom