Fractal Design Define R6

Associate
Hello there, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have with my new PC case, Define R6 and Noctual D15 fans.

If I connect the fan hub to CPU-fan as instructed in the manual and then connect the two Noctua D15 fans at the PWM connectors of the fan hub, each separately or through the Y-splitter, the PC starts and the fans of the CPU cooler do not.

If I connect the intel default CPU cooler to the fan hub (just the cable, not installed) and then the D15 fans, everything works just fine.
In the end, I had to connect the D15 fans directly to the CPU fan header and leave the fan hub connected to a 4 pin chassis fan header of the motherboard.

I think now the case fans work at 100% all the time, which I don't like.

The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 and I ue the latest UEFI BIOS, u1e.
I saw an option at the bios, at CPU fan control mode with options like: voltage, PWN and Auto. It's in Auto.
I didn't try to see if PWM makes a difference.

Any incite as to what is going on and how I can fix it?

Associate
Hello there, I was wondering if anyone can help me with a problem I have with my new PC case, Define R6 and Noctual D15 fans.

If I connect the fan hub to CPU-fan as instructed in the manual and then connect the two Noctua D15 fans at the PWM connectors of the fan hub, each separately or through the Y-splitter, the PC starts and the fans of the CPU cooler do not.

If I connect the intel default CPU cooler to the fan hub (just the cable, not installed) and then the D15 fans, everything works just fine.
In the end, I had to connect the D15 fans directly to the CPU fan header and leave the fan hub connected to a 4 pin chassis fan header of the motherboard.

I think now the case fans work at 100% all the time, which I don't like.

The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3 and I ue the latest UEFI BIOS, u1e.
I saw an option at the bios, at CPU fan control mode with options like: voltage, PWN and Auto. It's in Auto.
I didn't try to see if PWM makes a difference.

Any incite as to what is going on and how I can fix it?

On the fan hub at the rear of the case make sure that you have one of your 4 pin fans connected at the bottom right of the fan controller, then plug the next fan that you want to control in above it.

Plug the fan controllers 4 pin cable into a chassis fan connection on your motherboard.

Connect your cpu fan onto the cpu fan connection on your motherboard.

Go into your bios look for the cpu fan and set it to pwm & do the same for the chassis fan controller connection.

All the above should now be working and automatically controlled by your bios.

One thing to note if you plug a 3 pin fan connection onto the left hand side of the cases built in fan controller that will also be controlled by the bios as well which is how I set mine up yesterday.

Hope this helps?

Cheers all

Soldato
I found the controller to do very little, in fact all it seemed to allow was for me to connect more chassis fans than my motherboard has connectors for but they just ran at 100% all the time and didn't (couldn't) adjust based on bios or software curves. Shame as I have the 3 case fans and 2 chassis fan connectors on the motherboard.

Personally, I'd run the CPU fan(s) off the CPU connectors on the motherboard to ensure that they run properly in relation to the CPU temp and will adjust by the bios/software automatically.

It looks like your motherboard has the following connectors:

1. 1 x CPU fan header
  2. 2 x system fan headers
  3. 1 x power fan header

So make sure you're connecting to the correct headers...but it does sound like you've had the same experience as me, the controller wouldn't / couldn't adjust voltage and just set chassis fans to max. If PWM is an option in, certainly worth giving it a go.

E: Just looked at my bios and saw it has PWM mode as an option, honestly didn't even know that was a thing, maybe I'll try using the controller again for the chassis fans.

E2: Here's how mine looks:

y4mOOkPVRXsZ4orM59kz8PSSL3vqY3vk2RC3J1D8sK37th9qk-XdJbZsYhbVvZHCeWaN0MdOvK4yfWfPLlDH80TjIWHyp62Ytz0r-bnyz2mVgn8kWO3lj08-T74OvM1E8gk9ycboDRyzouB6l2yqkwEZFpycSmnwYDG9ihHER6nrQiFWqx6T0MBVNswoenrQ1h6jwNPAv3mWka87xeDmlEzfg

Last edited:
Associate
Odd your hub isn't working as it should.

I have 2 140 Noiseblockers (pwm) as an intake at the front, another Noiseblocker (pwn) as an exhaust at the rear & one of the Fractal 3 pin stock fans as an intake in the bottom of the case.

They are all connected to the chassis fan connector on the motherboard via the Fractal hub which is set to pwn in the bios & the fan speed increases and decreases when needed.

I have a corsair H100i mounted as an exhaust in the top of the case which is connected to the cpu fan connector on the motherboard.

Got a 2070 super arriving early this afternoon will post a photo once its connected showing the case.

Cheers all

Soldato
I left bios on auto, so maybe that's why? I didn't actually realise I could force it to use PWM until I saw your post in this thread. I'll have to investigate some time, currently using some other fan headers to avoid the issue I was having anyway. :p

Soldato
As per my post in the cases thread, I got a smoked / tinted glass panel for my R6...it's pretty much exactly what I wanted...although so much more reflective than I'd really thought about. Still though, the actual cost of the panel wasn't too bad but I had to pay weekend delivery which added basically 50% of the cost back onto it. Painful but even so, not an awful price to pay (£40 total, £27 before delivery).

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33031312/

Soldato
Hi all, anyone know if using a front 360 aio e.g corsair can you still use the dvd drive?
Was there a reply for this query as i have the same question? I would like to use a NZXT 360mm Kraken x72 AIO.

Nope, I have a Corsair Hydro H150 Pro 360mm at the front and the dvd drive are inaccessible when the AIO is at that position.

Associate
Curious is you can fit a 240mm AIO rad at the front and still make use of all the HD mounts? There seems to be a decent size gap between the front mount fans and the hard drive mounts, but enough to accomodate a rad?

Associate
Curious is you can fit a 240mm AIO rad at the front and still make use of all the HD mounts? There seems to be a decent size gap between the front mount fans and the hard drive mounts, but enough to accomodate a rad?

I would say yes (guess yes).
I tried to fit my 280 at the top and it simply wouldn't fit with the HD bay still in place.

I would expect a 240 to fit ok.

Back
Top Bottom