First VR headset

Associate
Hya there folks.

I'm looking at getting my first VR headset, been debating it for ages but think I'm gunna pull the trigger. I've been looking at the HTC vive cosmos, yes I know it has tracking issues, but I'm mainly going to be using it for games like, il2, dcs world, elite dangerous and such.

So on that note, is the cosmos worth it?

Soldato
The general consensus is to avoid the Cosmos.

If you're going to spend that amount of money the Index or a Vive Pro is a better choice.

Alternatively the Rift S as a cheaper option.

Associate
OP
Aye i did think about that aswell tbh. Aren't we due a stock of rift s in, between now and the first 2 weeks of may?

Soldato
The Cosmos Elite is a viable thing. OC sold out what they had, stock on the Standalone HMD is imminent. Personally if all I did was sims, id take one and a single base station.

Associate
OP
It will be for siming mainly yes, i may have a dabble with some of the other VR games aswell, i had looked at the elite, but then also the increase of £200, the one big attraction the cosmos has for me is the not needing base stations, as my rooms not hugely setup for them.

Soldato
I'd just wait for a Rift S if I were you. Hard to justify paying double that for a Cosmo when the improvements it offers are so minor IMO.

Soldato
Well the other alternative is the HP Reverb, there's downsides but it fits. If you can get a return on a Cosmos then give one a shot. A fellow pinballer friend of mine has one as his first VR, and he's no complaints about it.

Most of the negative seems to be tracking in conditional light surroundings, and the odd choice they made on the controllers and the power usage.

Associate
OP
Yeh thats what i had thought of maybe getting one and see what i think, the only thing that's kinda putting me off waiting for a rift is, the difference in resolution and quality lens wise.

Soldato
Hi I dunno if this helps but Ive just been through a similar process of evaluation as you seem to be going through and I settled on the quest.

It really has got great flexibility compared to tethered headsets and definately compared to any that need external tracking.

Whilst there are no doubt some image quality compromises compared to the likes of the index, I decided that for my first headset that I probably wouldnt notice these really and the extra flexibility and functionality it gives will allow me to get a very broad first VR experience rather than always needing to be tied to the pc.

Theres lots of reviews on youtube and many say that there is no issue with the visuals. Lots of youtube sim racers using the quest and it looks great. I decided it was better to spend the £400 now, which is still a lot of money, get experienced with it and then if in a couple of years a next gen comes along Ill have a much better idea of what I want and hopefully the tech will have taken a leap forward too by then.

Im going to use it for a range of games from sim racing to half life to more basic (but probably just as fun) games native to the device. Im also going to watch movies on it.

Back
Top Bottom