What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
@chroniclard don't get me wrong, not a big BP fan...I just really detest IM3 :) I also feel Doctor Strange is fairly poor, in fact most of the newer phase 3 movies aren't great, I don't get the love for Ant Man at all.

In it's favour, Black Panther at least had a villain I could really understand and almost want to succeed.

Soldato
Coach Carter - as good as a real life high school basketball film could be. Samuel L. raises the standard but as usual with films featuring teenagers they are all played by people in their 20s (30 in one case) which detracts a bit. 3/5

Associate
Hitchcock is fantastic. I have the dvd box set and many of his films are utterly brilliant. Rope, Vertigo and Rear Window are my favourites.

Just had a look at his filmography, surprised that I've only seen the following: Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds. :o

I still need to go back and watch the rest of "North by NorthWest".

Watched the Oceans movies last week. 11, 12, 13. They are good for background watching and some very light entertainment while chatting. Obviously not intense but just what we felt like at the time.

I think I seriously over-rated the first one when it came out. Watching it again, the movie was only OK. I also re-watched "Oceans 12" recently. I thought it was a very poor followup at the time -- it's still a poor movie.

I can't remember much about the 3rd one. I'll probably end up watching it soon.

Have you watched the original '60s movie?

Associate
Just had a look at his filmography, surprised that I've only seen the following: Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds. :o

I still need to go back and watch the rest of "North by NorthWest".

I think I seriously over-rated the first one when it came out. Watching it again, the movie was only OK. I also re-watched "Oceans 12" recently. I thought it was a very poor followup at the time -- it's still a poor movie.

I can't remember much about the 3rd one. I'll probably end up watching it soon.

Have you watched the original '60s movie?

Didn't realise it was a remake! might have to check that one out.

Caporegime
Inception - 8/10

Not sure why I've never watched this, starts out very confusing but as long you stay focused you can sort of get the gist of it. The acting is rather good but that's as to be expected looking at the cast! Some beautiful shots as well that look superb in 4K HDR :cool:

Soldato
Inception - 8/10

Not sure why I've never watched this, starts out very confusing but as long you stay focused you can sort of get the gist of it. The acting is rather good but that's as to be expected looking at the cast! Some beautiful shots as well that look superb in 4K HDR :cool:

I enjoyed it more on a second watch. Once you get that it's a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream, you just have to keep track of what's happening in each layer. As is often the case with this kind of clever sci-fi, the fantastical elements are really just a vehicle to tell a story about people in a way that's not otherwise possible. It's really a modern classic.

Don
I enjoyed it more on a second watch. Once you get that it's a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream, you just have to keep track of what's happening in each layer. As is often the case with this kind of clever sci-fi, the fantastical elements are really just a vehicle to tell a story about people in a way that's not otherwise possible. It's really a modern classic.
Yep.

The "kick" that travels down the dream layers is quite a clever concept, the hotel corridor scene and the ambiguity around whether Leo's character is still in a dream with his children gives a superb open ending as well

Nolan's best film for me.

Soldato
@Jokester there is quite a tell about the open ending of Inception...

His children appear to be the same age and are wearing very similar/maybe the same clothing as when he had to go on the run, although he's been on the run for many years. Nolan has stated they are older and are in different clothes but on rewatches, they look very much the same to me

Back
Top Bottom