Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Quest using Virtual Desktop wirelessly was performing badly but I finally solved it by swapping a Netgear router(7400) on a DD-WRT firmware to an Asus (RT-AC66U) on stock firmware - both fairly old routers by modern standards I know. Night and day performance, so much so I can play Pistol Whip and Beat Saber via VD as I don't have the Quest versions of these games.

Going wireless for VR is a game changer IMO. I have a CV1 pretty much unused because setting up the cameras was tricky. Yes, the tracking was excellent but unless you have a dedicated space, it's a faff.

Caporegime
After getting VD working streaming from my 1060 laptop, yesterday I set up my desktop (5700) with Relive.

Desktop is wired to my router (BT Smart Hub 2) and my Quest is connected to the 5ghz channel. Holy crap that was impressive!

I haven't tried anything fast paced as all my games are native Quest jobbies, so will probably pick up Robo Recall as it is crossbuy and I enjoyed the demo.

Soldato
After getting VD working streaming from my 1060 laptop, yesterday I set up my desktop (5700) with Relive.

Desktop is wired to my router (BT Smart Hub 2) and my Quest is connected to the 5ghz channel. Holy crap that was impressive!

I haven't tried anything fast paced as all my games are native Quest jobbies, so will probably pick up Robo Recall as it is crossbuy and I enjoyed the demo.

Plenty of free VR stuff on Steam to try. I use Trials on Tattooine as a benchmark as it used to flicker badly when the module came down from the millenium falcon and you looked around. Now with latest version of VD its smooth.

Same hardware setup as me. I`m getting about 500-800Mpbs connection on 5ghz according to WIFI settings on Quest with 20ms latency on VD settings panel. Have you checked what you are getting ?

Quest using Virtual Desktop wirelessly was performing badly but I finally solved it by swapping a Netgear router(7400) on a DD-WRT firmware to an Asus (RT-AC66U) on stock firmware - both fairly old routers by modern standards I know. Night and day performance, so much so I can play Pistol Whip and Beat Saber via VD as I don't have the Quest versions of these games.

Its strange I have read people switch to the ASUS routers or the TP Link Archer one and it improves Virtual Desktop no end. Luckily the BT Smart Hub 2 is decent so I dont need to change.

Caporegime
Bah, my hands are too big (3.5" knuckle width) for the Kiwi Design knuckle straps :(

The only way for my grip to be correct for the controller was to have only my bottom 3 fingers in the strap, it was hella uncomfortable.

Off to MM you go!

Soldato
ended up buying the MVH head strap someone on ere linked from etsy. using it without the power bank but its the best thing i got for the quest its ugly but very comfy

Soldato
What headphones do you use for getting really immersive sound? Are you able to use the same wireless desktop to transmit sound over the 5GHz wifi link? Headphones would only need a very short cable to go straight to headset?

Associate
ended up buying the MVH head strap someone on ere linked from etsy. using it without the power bank but its the best thing i got for the quest its ugly but very comfy

yeah i seen that post, i kinda like it, has a kind of madmax feel to it !! would be interested in your thoughts, and photos if you have any, only had my quest a week, and while i think ive got the fit sorted it seems to slip a bit and weigh on the eyes n cheeks,

might be because i have no hair!! but if i cant get it sorted, the MVH might be the way to go,

Soldato
What headphones do you use for getting really immersive sound? Are you able to use the same wireless desktop to transmit sound over the 5GHz wifi link? Headphones would only need a very short cable to go straight to headset?

I tried some of the suggestions and mods like the Koss KSC75 Clip-On Stereo Headphones mod but I still cant find them bettering the onboard Quest sound. To me I just get flat stereo out of the headphones whereas the Quest inbuilt speakers give me a better surround sound experience. Even tried the seperate earbuds but they kept falling out.

Soldato
OP

Settled on using TB VR headphones as they have a built-in amp and yes they are Turtle Beech but sound awsome in Beat Sabre and Audica :D

Also got

-Koss Porta pro with magnetic clip printed thing, not bad.
-Xiaomi Piston IIs modded to be separate L/R buds and with Comply tips so they stay in. Just use these when travelling.

Soldato
yeah i seen that post, i kinda like it, has a kind of madmax feel to it !! would be interested in your thoughts, and photos if you have any, only had my quest a week, and while i think ive got the fit sorted it seems to slip a bit and weigh on the eyes n cheeks,

might be because i have no hair!! but if i cant get it sorted, the MVH might be the way to go,

my hair is number 1 all over, i find it a very good fit along with the amvr face attachment. zero movement when i play boneworks and beatsaber over virtual desktop. when the kids use it they can adjust it for the perfect fit for them. only down side is i need to source a new case as the hardcase i got from the rain forest is now too small

i use elcheapo ones from the rain forest search for spectralshell . i have kids who use it as well so i am staying with these ones in case the break em

Associate
Are any of you wearing glasses with the quest? I believe they come with a glasses attachment. Just wondering how it affects the overall comfort?

My order has been processed, just no despatch note yer.

Soldato
Are any of you wearing glasses with the quest? I believe they come with a glasses attachment. Just wondering how it affects the overall comfort?

It depends on your glasses but generally they're pretty comfortable in the Quest.

The Quest comes with a glasses spacer which gives you a bit more space between the glasses and the lenses. Unfortunately this also reduces the FOV slightly. However I wouldn't risk scratching the Quest lenses, so I bought prescription lenses. You can also get 3D print lens protectors which replace the existing lens plastic ring surrounds (they're intended to be detachable) to stop glasses from hitting the lenses.

Soldato

Works fine with the spacer dont have any problem with the lenses being scratched plenty of space in there. Was worried at first but had mine now about 6 months lens on Quest still perfect.

Dont see point in special lenses as need to change them everytime I need new glasses which is a lot lately. Plus if someone else wants to use it have to remove them.

Only problem I find is because the glasses I use dont have the anti-glare/relfection backing on them then I get reflections in my glasses of the lenses. It can be distracting at first then I forget about it as my eyes settle focus on the screens. Unfortunately the ones that do have anti-glare on them dont work with the quest because they are not intermediates.

Associate

I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 45 due to the usual old age thing, so just need them for reading and pc work, but strangely I tried the quest without my glasses and actual don’t think I need them

Caporegime
I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 45 due to the usual old age thing, so just need them for reading and pc work, but strangely I tried the quest without my glasses and actual don’t think I need them

Quest lenses and rendering creates a focal point of about 1.5-2m away, so if you can see things clearly in real life at that distance, you don't need glasses with a Quest.

I am -3.75 and -3.5, so can't see beyond 1 foot, sadly.

Back
Top Bottom