MSI b450m Mortar Max Lan Issue, i/o shield tab?

Soldato
I recently put together a build with this board.

The other day I noticed the internet would disconnect, then instantly reconnect for no reason.

Not sure if this is the culprit, but when installing the IO shield it was a bit of a pain to line up etc. Anyway I assumed it was sorted but once I had complete the build, I noticed a tab was inside the Lan port. Same as this picture (picture isnt my own)

Screenshot-20200102-094140-Chrome.jpg

I assumed this wasnt an issue as it was connecting etc... but I'm now guessing this is wrong and could it be the cause? If it is I'd assume it wouldnt connect at all which is odd

Soldato
Yeah you need to flick that metal tab back in the opposite direction.

USB C and the USB3 beside it aren't lined up correctly either.

Soldato
OP

USB C and the USB3 beside it aren't lined up correctly either.

Damn, looks like I'd need to remove everything just to do it?

Mine are lined up fine I think, this picture was from Google as I couldnt be arsed to pull it all out :D

Soldato
Damn, looks like I'd need to remove everything just to do it?

Well, take the GPU out for sure. Then just take off the mobo screws and shift the board gently and carefully off to the side a bit. Fix the I/O shield, and shift the board back and screw in again. May not even need to remove any cables (other than GPU cables).

Mine are lined up fine I think, this picture was from Google as I couldnt be arsed to pull it all out :D

Ah, my bad.

Soldato
I was wondering this. What does it actually do?
They keep dust out, and gives extra bracing so when putting in jacks you cant push so hard it rips the socket housing from the board.

If it was only the little metal tab, I would push it in or bend it out, but none of it really looks very well lined up, I would redo it and find out why.

Soldato
Personally, i would remove the motherboard and position it properly.

Think it is supposed to push against the outside edge of the LAN port to act as an earth. (i may be wrong though)

Soldato
Been meaning to say thanks for that.

I had my ethernet randomly drop out and thanks to this I had a shufty at the ethernet port on my Mortar Max and that tab was popping out like in the OP's picture.

Tucked back in and it's worked a treat ever since.

Soldato
Been meaning to say thanks for that.

I had my ethernet randomly drop out and thanks to this I had a shufty at the ethernet port on my Mortar Max and that tab was popping out like in the OP's picture.

Tucked back in and it's worked a treat ever since.

Nice. :)

Back
Top Bottom