Satellites equally spaced going overhead?

Soldato
No idea what you were seeing, tonights pass isn't until 10.12pm
https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

That site said they were due over at 8.51PM last night.
https://findstarlink.com/ said 8.54PM.

There appears to be several formations of these satellites. The set I saw were very closely grouped together. Perhaps the 10.12PM pass was a different set.

There was one at 20:56 but I couldn't see it, big cluster all tight together

Yup. I was expecting to see several of them go over with a lot of spacing, which most people report seeing, but the group I saw were in a very close 'train'. So I only saw them for 30 seconds or so.

Soldato
That site said they were due over at 8.51PM last night.
https://findstarlink.com/ said 8.54PM.

There appears to be several formations of these satellites. The set I saw were very closely grouped together. Perhaps the 10.12PM pass was a different set.

Yup. I was expecting to see several of them go over with a lot of spacing, which most people report seeing, but the group I saw were in a very close 'train'. So I only saw them for 30 seconds or so.

8.56 was Starlink 6, which has only just launched (April 22nd, evening) and hasn't had time to spread out yet.

10.12 was Starlink 5, which launched in mid March (18th) and has started to spread out.

Soldato
8.56 was Starlink 6, which has only just launched and hasn't had time to spread out yet.

10.12 was Starlink 5, which launched in mid March and has started to spread out.

Thank you, I was trying to find what number it was. Where did you get that info from? I want to read up on this all a bit more.

Soldato
That website is awesome! It superimposes the satellite over google street view from my exact location so I can see exactly where I need to look.

Times though, none of the sites seem to be consistent with the times.

Ah he's turned streetview back on. Just had a notice the last few days saying it was costing him too much money so had to disable it.

Edit:

Just heard that these are a feature on the Jeremy Vine show today, petition to get rid of them already

Last edited:
Soldato
Just heard that these are a feature on the Jeremy Vine show today, petition to get rid of them already

They've been heavily criticised by the astronomy crowd since the initial launches (probably even before) because of their negative impact

Soldato
I dunno, I could understand GMT/BST differences, but there some sites saying a certain time like 9.45 and it doesn't appear elsewhere even allowing for time zone differences.

According to this site there's 43x satellites heading over Lanarkshire at 10:43pm tonight. I'm hoping to see that, so I'll check at 9:43pm & 11:43pm in case it's a time zone issue.

https://james.darpinian.com/satellites/

Soldato
Has anyone worked out why the times are usually wrong, is it a timezone issue?

They’re generally not ‘wrong’. Everything is just being complicated by a combination of multiple sets of satellites to view, a launch of new satellites in the last couple if days which some sites aren’t yet reporting on the occasional mix up due to DST and the fact that conditions aren’t always right for a good sighting (The timing has to be just right for them to still be able catch the sunlight (from below the horizon as we see it) whilst it’s still dark enough for us to see the reflection. Annoyingly we also had cloud to contend with last night so missed the close grouping of the new set, hoping to see them tonight but they’ll be pretty low elevation.

Associate
Had a look on the street view site, then cross referenced against findstarlink.com, the sighting at 22.48 tonight says cancelled there. I guess cancelled just translates to, too dim to see?

Back
Top Bottom