• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
20.4.2 is out

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta/win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.2-apr23.exe

Fixed Issues
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system hang or black screen when running Folding@Home while also running an application using hardware acceleration of video content.
  • A system crash or hang may be experienced when using Edge browser to play Netflix™ content.
  • XSplit™ may experience an application hang or freeze when performing a scene switch.
  • Minor stuttering may occur when performing a task switch with performance metrics overlay open in some games.
  • Overwatch™ may experience an intermittent crash while entering a game or during extended gameplay sessions.
  • Radeon RX 5700 series graphics product system configurations may intermittently experience a display loss or black screen while gaming or on desktop with a limited number of displays.
  • Radeon Software may experience an application crash when playing games with non-alphanumeric characters in the game title.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience an application crash with Microsoft® Teams when hardware acceleration is enabled.
  • An ‘Unable to get requirements’ error message may intermittently occur when viewing the Upgrade Advisor tab in Radeon Software.
  • Radeon RX Vega series graphics products may experience a system crash or TDR when playing games with Instant Replay or Record Desktop enabled.
  • Resolved an install issue where Error 1603 could occur when an installation prerequisite for Visual C++ was not correctly detected as installed.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-4-2

Working good, had 1 crash in the 1st run of cod warzone, I took it as a "crash to adjust" and then after that is being fine.. gonna report back in couple of days

Soldato
Looks like this update has fixed my hardware acceleration black screen/reboot issue on my Radeon VII, 6 hours in so far with no black screen :) This is the first time I've been able to enable it without crashes, since the 2020 drivers were first released. Will need a few days testing to be 100% sure, but promising signs so far!

I really hope AMD will further test new driver releases going forward, as breaking existing working features should never be a thing.

Cheers for your help fixing this issue, @LtMatt

Feeling more confident now in purchasing big Navi on release, as long as it's in the same ballpark as the 3080/3080ti!

Confirmation of plans to support Freesync over HDMI (VRR on the new LG OLEDs via HDMI 2.1) would be icing on the cake :D

Caporegime
Looks like this update has fixed my hardware acceleration black screen/reboot issue on my Radeon VII, 6 hours in so far with no black screen :) This is the first time I've been able to enable it without crashes, since the 2020 drivers were first released. Will need a few days testing to be 100% sure, but promising signs so far!

I really hope AMD will further test new driver releases going forward, as breaking existing working features should never be a thing.

Feeling more confident now in purchasing big Navi on release, as long as it's in the same ballpark as the 3080/3080ti!

Confirmation of plans to support Freesync over HDMI (VRR on the new LG OLEDs via HDMI 2.1) would be icing on the cake :D
Thanks for the mini dumps. ;)

Associate

Haven't been following this thread recently, but is your reboot issue that it takes ages to actually do it?

I've been crashing and black screening so much with the 2020 drivers and 20 seconds of black screen before a reboot actually happens that I rolled back to 19.4.3 a couple of weeks ago. Everything works properly on those drivers except Warzone which refuses to launch.

Would be nice to be able to play Warzone with my friends again...

Soldato
Haven't been following this thread recently, but is your reboot issue that it takes ages to actually do it?

I've been crashing and black screening so much with the 2020 drivers and 20 seconds of black screen before a reboot actually happens that I rolled back to 19.4.3 a couple of weeks ago. Everything works properly on those drivers except Warzone which refuses to launch.

Would be nice to be able to play Warzone with my friends again...

Yes, that was the issue. Black screen occurred first, this is actually when Windows starts writing the mini dump (crash debug file located @ C:\Windows\minidump), followed by a reboot after 15-20 seconds. This occurred when I was using applications that made use of hardware acceleration. This only started on my Radeon VII since the 2020 drivers, and has now been fixed with these 20.4.2 drivers :)

Associate
Yes, that was the issue. Black screen occurred first, this is actually when Windows starts writing the mini dump (crash debug file located @ C:\Windows\minidump), followed by a reboot after 15-20 seconds. This occurred when I was using applications that made use of hardware acceleration. This only started on my Radeon VII since the 2020 drivers, and has now been fixed with these 20.4.2 drivers :)

That's good to know, thanks!

Associate

We appear to have different issues - at least maybe.

I just updated to the 20.4.2 drivers, and now again I have the 20 seconds of nothing between the screen going off after the restarting screen and the system actually rebooting. There is no minidump folder in my windows directory and the event viewer claims the system shut down cleanly.

I'll need to test for a while to see if it's stable at least.

Associate

I might be writing a full, active or kernel memory dump, which is saved as c:\windows\memory.dmp by default. Usually ends up being around a 1.5GB file for me. It would normally create a crash dump alert entry in the windows events logs if it did this though.

I think there is also an application specific crash dump folder for the amd app too. In fact seems to be a few within c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\crashdumps too, as well as some in steam folders. A search for *.dmp brings up various files.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys, i just joined because I stumbled upon this thread. I have had the Radeon VII since launch day currently on BIOS v105 with UEFI support currently on 20.4.2 also water cooled.. Since launch I have had issues running dual monitors. I get random flickering on my primary Asus XG32VQ Freesync monitor. It can be recreated and only occurs in 2D environments. I have played with clock speeds,. voltagages, XMP profile disabling, different DP adapters 1.4 DP cables same results. Seems like a multitude of other people seem to have similar issues. working through AMD support is like going in circles. their support model absolutely sucks.

I've tried a number of mitigation strategies all have seemed to fail. If anyone has found a solution i am all ears.

I'm at work right now but hopefully I can post a little more detail about what I have tried later in the day.

Awesome thread btw!

Soldato
Hi guys, i just joined because I stumbled upon this thread. I have had the Radeon VII since launch day currently on BIOS v105 with UEFI support currently on 20.4.2 also water cooled.. Since launch I have had issues running dual monitors. I get random flickering on my primary Asus XG32VQ Freesync monitor. It can be recreated and only occurs in 2D environments. I have played with clock speeds,. voltagages, XMP profile disabling, different DP adapters 1.4 DP cables same results. Seems like a multitude of other people seem to have similar issues. working through AMD support is like going in circles. their support model absolutely sucks.

I've tried a number of mitigation strategies all have seemed to fail. If anyone has found a solution i am all ears.

I'm at work right now but hopefully I can post a little more detail about what I have tried later in the day.

Awesome thread btw!

I had this issue when I had my old 2nd monitor connected.

Setup was is BenQ XL2730Z (Displayport) as primary monitor (144Hz)
NEC 24WMGX3 as secondary, connected via HDMI (60Hz panel)

I since replaced the HDMI 60hz monitor with a LG27GL850-B (Displayport, 144hz panel) and no longer get the flicker. The HDMI monitor works fine on it's own, no flicker, so not a panel issue.

From reading through forums, NVIDIA users have had similar issues when mixing DP, HDMI monitors with different refresh rates. Going forward I'd never mix different refresh rate monitors together, as it seems to mess with GPU drivers, regardless of if AMD/NVIDIA.

Associate
Anyone in here playing Warzone? Reason I ask is I'm seriously considering moving from my current 4k 60hz monitor to a 1440p 144hz and wondering what sort of FPS you are getting? Mainly playing modern warfare/warzone at the mo, hence me asking.

Would be pointless if the vii cant push enough frames to make it worthwhile.

As a side note, has anyone else made this switch? Interested to hear your thoughts if you have.

Last edited:
Associate
I do ...I get around 110 FPS sometimes more mostly maxed out
I had a 4k 144hz screen but downgraded to 1440p suits this card better tbh

Thanks mate. I did wonder if the vii would be able to actually do 144hz......

Not sure now whether I'll bother at the mo then. Not an easy thing to be able to test is it really without actually taking the plunge and buying a monitor to test it with.

Associate
I miss the clarity of 4k slightly but 60 FPS Vs 144 is night and day to me.
Of the next gen cards can push 100fps 4k il buy another 4k 144hz but for now this is fine.

Depends what u play tbh

Associate
I miss the clarity of 4k slightly but 60 FPS Vs 144 is night and day to me.
Of the next gen cards can push 100fps 4k il buy another 4k 144hz but for now this is fine.

Depends what u play tbh

Mainly shooters or RPGs really. I think it would be a benefit in things like MW to have the higher refresh rate but given theres probably a fairly major jump in graphical grunt imminent I might just hold off rather than spank money on a 1440p 144hz if my current set up is going to struggle to push enough frames to make it worth it.

Associate
Hi all,

What are the aftermarket cooler options available for the R VII? Finding that the fans are getting very noisy now that I'm pushing the card with the new monitor. Delta between gpu temp and j temp is around 30c+, and playing Control game the fans are often ramping up to around 3500 range and considerably noisy. Hitting 105c j temp which seems make the fans ramp up that high.

Card is already undervaulted to 970mv. I've tried limiting fan speeds but that just means card hits the 110c limit and throttles. Tried with side of case off too, although airflow in my Corsair 540 case doesn't appear to be an issue.

Checked the screws holding the heatsink clamp on the back as some others have noted they sometimes aren't tight, but they seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom