Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Quest lenses and rendering creates a focal point of about 1.5-2m away, so if you can see things clearly in real life at that distance, you don't need glasses with a Quest.

I am -3.75 and -3.5, so can't see beyond 1 foot, sadly.

cheers for the advice, yes thats probably why then, i had to have my prescription adjusted so i can see up close like reading texts but also looking at pc screens about .75 meter away, but things after that get a lot clearer!

on aother not, managed to finally get trials of tatooine to work and project stardust, trails of tatooine was interesting, 1st time stood in a VR enviroment, was brilliant,

project stardust was on another level thou,. when the screen went blank and then there i was sat in an X wing Fighter WOW just WOW, incredible experience, , was flying around trying!¬ to shoot tie fighters, amazing experience, was starting to wonder what all this VR dizziness is about! that was until i selected to play the dearth star attack, eeek i played for about 10 minutes, but the dizziness lasted for 20 minutes after that, lol

going onto vader immortal next, just slowly working my way up to the better games until i get to ALYX!!

Soldato
Mine has arrived!

Now to find a comprehensive set of instructions for getting it working wirelessly with the pc. the video posted a few posts back was a bit quick for me.

follow this and either get ALVR or virtual desktop
https://uploadvr.com/sideloading-quest-how-to/

It depends on your glasses but generally they're pretty comfortable in the Quest.

The Quest comes with a glasses spacer which gives you a bit more space between the glasses and the lenses. Unfortunately this also reduces the FOV slightly. However I wouldn't risk scratching the Quest lenses, so I bought prescription lenses. You can also get 3D print lens protectors which replace the existing lens plastic ring surrounds (they're intended to be detachable) to stop glasses from hitting the lenses.
i have had no trouble when using sopecs in both standard and franken modes

Soldato
Bit stuck. Im following the video guide and have installed the Oculus Quest PC software, but it won't detect my device. I have the supplied cable plugged into the USB-C port on the back of my PC and into the headset. Does the supplied cable not work for this? I only need it to enable set up of the wireless software, wasn't planned to run wired anyway so haven't bought the recommended Anker cable.

Am I right in thinking I have to buy the virtual desktop application actually on the quest device but not install it, then go into the sidequest app on the PC and install it from there?

Last edited:
Soldato
you can't use the supplied cable, it's only for charging.

You need a proper USB 3.0 or better cable, or the expensive official link cable... if you want to just connect to the desktop for sidequest then I guess any USB-C cable should work (as long as it's a proper one, not a charging only cable).

Yes, you buy the virtual desktop app on the quest (important that you buy it for quest specifically) and then sideload. You also install the desktop streamer app on the desktop you want to stream from.

regarding comfort I hated the stock facial interface. Replace that with a softer PU leather one and it's both more comfortable and more hygienic as you can just wipe it clean. There are lots out there so you are spoiled for choice really! Other than that the easiest mod is to strap a small battery pack to the rear strap which acts as a counterbalance and pulls the weight off your face. Bonus points for longer play time thrown in.

Last edited:
Soldato
the usb cable is for charging only
I think im going to need to get some comfort mods for the Quest fairly soon. Its hurting my forehead even when i try and use it lying down watching a film.

What strap and facepiece improvements have you done?
allot of people use either the Vr cover or AMVR i have the AMVR one and it helps. as for strap mods having used a friends quest with das that it the best one to do but its hard to get hold of one even a 2nd hand one off fleabay fetches a premium i have this week fitted the MVHStudios strap its one fugly thing but even without the powerbank i have found it very comfy so much so that its been the first time in my ownership of the quest that i have gone from 100% charge to a drained headset

Soldato
The supplied USB cable works for the sideloading in side quest (I was able to load a video file onto it). But the Oculus software doesn't recognise it that way.

So do I still need to buy a proper cable or if I'm only using virtual desktop can I leave the cable?

The version of virtual desktop showing on the quest device itself is £14.99 but the version showing on the Oculus PC software's 'store' is £10.49??

Do I have to buy the version directly on the quest or can I buy the version on the store?

Soldato
you buy the app from oculust quest store. then side quest unlocks the feature that lets you stream your vr games to it. you need to buy it from the oculus quest store.

Associate
have a question about sky box player, if anyone can help great, in the past i when i ripped my 3D films, i renamed them with .sbs at the end, they would then be picked up by my LG tv and play in 3D, so i ripped a movie, if i rename it to .sbs the skybox player seems to know its 3D but it plays wierd, like im seeing cross talk, i tried the L:R thing in the settings but it doesnt help, if i dont rename the film it just plays in 2D ?

Soldato
@MaDMaX** sorry can't help much with ripping films but I did manage to get a couple of downloaded 3D bluerays to work straight away. I think they were already configured in side by side view as when i opened them on the pc first they showed this way in media player. Its not what I expected as the 3D is very good but they are displayed on a virtual cinema screen rather than completely filling your field of view like a VR game does.

Ive got virtual desktop working now as well and its pretty good. Not tried with a game yet, just browsing the desktop but the connection seems solid over my virgin 5Ghz router. Just giving the quest a charge up and then am going to try assetto corsa.

Ive watched some of the VR video experience films that come with the quest and it is a weird feeling when the camera moves and you don't! I also get a bit of vertigo when Im in the space environments and look down!

I didn't think Id be interested in novelty games like beat saber but I just played the demo and its amazing!

Associate
@MaDMaX** sorry can't help much with ripping films but I did manage to get a couple of downloaded 3D bluerays to work straight away. I think they were already configured in side by side view as when i opened them on the pc first they showed this way in media player. Its not what I expected as the 3D is very good but they are displayed on a virtual cinema screen rather than completely filling your field of view like a VR game does.

Ive got virtual desktop working now as well and its pretty good. Not tried with a game yet, just browsing the desktop but the connection seems solid over my virgin 5Ghz router. Just giving the quest a charge up and then am going to try assetto corsa.

Ive watched some of the VR video experience films that come with the quest and it is a weird feeling when the camera moves and you don't! I also get a bit of vertigo when Im in the space environments and look down!

I didn't think Id be interested in novelty games like beat saber but I just played the demo and its amazing!

Ripping films isn’t my problem I’ve done a few 3D and 4K lol, it’s just working out what the skybox player wants to see, I will muddle thru, to be honest I have a pretty decent home cinema set up with Dolby atmos and Dolby vision along with one of the best 3D tv.s , I just thought 3D in VR might be something to see, but as you pointed out, it’s actually a virtual cinema !, lol which I didn’t realise

glad your getting to grips with the quest, and glad you got the cable situation sorted, I bought a 3m usb c to A and a 5m extension , can send you the links to them, but i haven’t really used them, I used the 3m cable to setup everything and for firmware updates, but using the wireless connecting to VD is just the bomb , so like me I don’t think your gonna worry about bing connected to a cable even if it is 8m long!

which virgin router have you got ? Mines the super hub 2, considering it’s in my living room, my pc is in a room upstairs on opposite side of the house with the quest, but had no connection problems,

Associate
Didn't know whether to make a thread for this or not but do any of you guys use gun stocks? I've been smashing Onward over link with my quest and was just wondering if any of you guys use a gun stock for FPSs.

There's a few for around £50 on eBay that look alright but was just after some opinions really.

Soldato
Ripping films isn’t my problem I’ve done a few 3D and 4K lol, it’s just working out what the skybox player wants to see, I will muddle thru, to be honest I have a pretty decent home cinema set up with Dolby atmos and Dolby vision along with one of the best 3D tv.s , I just thought 3D in VR might be something to see, but as you pointed out, it’s actually a virtual cinema !, lol which I didn’t realise

glad your getting to grips with the quest, and glad you got the cable situation sorted, I bought a 3m usb c to A and a 5m extension , can send you the links to them, but i haven’t really used them, I used the 3m cable to setup everything and for firmware updates, but using the wireless connecting to VD is just the bomb , so like me I don’t think your gonna worry about bing connected to a cable even if it is 8m long!

which virgin router have you got ? Mines the super hub 2, considering it’s in my living room, my pc is in a room upstairs on opposite side of the house with the quest, but had no connection problems,

Is it the codec? Ive been reading that the quest doesn't like playing h.265 and they need to be h.264 coded. I've not much clue about video codecs so might be saying something you're already on top of.

The virtual cinema is really amazing, its very life like and the 3D is very good. Ive been watching some of the 180/360 videos today and they are very clever. I guess I thought 3D films would be like that but now realise that a 180 film is different to a standard 3D film.

I will need to spend some money on some accessories for sure. I will want a case, lens guard, good quality cable or two, and I would like to try a softer facepad but the reviews are not the best on the rainforest for these so it would be nice to find out exactly which one people here are buying and getting on well with.

Other than that Im loving it, being inside a real 3D environment is amazing.

I have noticed a loss of sharpness detail when looking far away though, or when looking to the edges of the field of view. But its not detracting much from the experience at the moment as its all so new.

which virgin router have you got ?

Superhub 3 cos my 2 broke so they sent me a new one end of last year. Works great.

Soldato
Is it the codec? Ive been reading that the quest doesn't like playing h.265 and they need to be h.264 coded. I've not much clue about video codecs so might be saying something you're already on top of.

The virtual cinema is really amazing, its very life like and the 3D is very good. Ive been watching some of the 180/360 videos today and they are very clever. I guess I thought 3D films would be like that but now realise that a 180 film is different to a standard 3D film.

I will need to spend some money on some accessories for sure. I will want a case, lens guard, good quality cable or two, and I would like to try a softer facepad

Save your money on the lens guard just use the cardboard insert lens protector that came with it. Works just as well and saves you money.

Didn't know whether to make a thread for this or not but do any of you guys use gun stocks? I've been smashing Onward over link with my quest and was just wondering if any of you guys use a gun stock for FPSs.

There's a few for around £50 on eBay that look alright but was just after some opinions really.

See if this guy will make you one ! :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/zee-modular-vr-rifle-v2.18871234/

Associate
I think im going to need to get some comfort mods for the Quest fairly soon. Its hurting my forehead even when i try and use it lying down watching a film.

What strap and facepiece improvements have you done?

I too find the Quest uncomfortable so I bought a couple of things to hopefully help. I will leave reviews when they arrive.

First of all I need glasses and wearing glasses in a VR headset is a major no no for me regarding comfort. My original plan was to get one of the 3D printed lens adapters and glasses from Zenni Optical like I had for my original Rift. Unfortunately that plan didn't work out as Zenni are not posting to the UK currently and also 3D Hubs who I used in the past to organised 3D printing have a high minimum order now which prices them out. Instead I went with VR Optician's lenses:

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-quest/

Approximately £65 shipped to the UK. I bought it 2 days ago and it has been posted already. I think they are based in the EU so no import taxes. In the meantime I am using nerf darts to stop my glasses touching the lenses and scratching them (type nerf into the Quest subreddit to see examples).

I also needed to do something about the headstrap. I tried some of the DIY solutions like adding a sock as an extra head strap support and also a counter weight to the back but I don't think it made a huge difference. So instead I have ordered one of these halo straps:

https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/halo-strap/

I have ordered the one with the headphones which is quite a new version so there aren't any reviews of it yet. I will be sure to leave a review when I get it but it may be a while before it arrives from China.

Back
Top Bottom