**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
OP8 Pro here - It’s too long and the curved screen is treacherous for false touches. Screen is nice, colour is Onyx Black which has a nice finish and battery seems good.

OS feels a bit unpolished in places and I prefer the Samsung UI and added features. The S20 Ultra’s flatter screen is much better which also makes it feel better in hand. Lack of AOD is frustrating.

Anything you want to know? It’s going back to JL next week.

I thought it had OAD??

Soldato
Negative, it's one feature OP don't do.

Oh, that's a big shame. I am considering getting it but I would miss AOD and it's strange they haven't. I have just read on the web that they plan to.

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/oneplus-8-always-on-display-features-roadmap-oxygenos-2202854

Quote : However, the feature will be coming to OnePlus smartphones - new and old - in the coming weeks and months, thanks to user feedback from the OnePlus community.

OnePlus has confirmed through a tweet that the OnePlus community has been asking for Always-On display as a feature. The company has a proven track record of taking user and community feedback seriously, and recently rolled out a special 'Community Ideas' page for users to submit their own feature ideas.

Soldato
The green tint is present on mine at low brightness but only at the bottom of the screen, I am aware that this is just about normal for AMOLED screens and it's way better than the Pixel 2 XLs P-OLED screen and it's blue shift that I actually just got used to.

More concerning is there is also a visible darker bar across the top in line with the selfie camera at these precise conditions as well - QHD+, 120Hz, brightness under 30% - I also run sRGB but this has no effect. In 99% of use this isn't noticeable, however I had already about screen issues and decided not to go look for them, but last night while in night mode and reading in low light I noticed the green patch.

I'm tempted to hold out a week or so to see what response OP has and then I'll be pushing for a replacement from JL. Sigh, why can't phones just be properly QCd before sending out?! I went through 4 Pixel 2 XLs before I got one with all the pixels working, I really don't want to go through that again as setting the phone up how I like it is just a big massive time sink!

Soldato
Yea I read that too, but also that is causes black crush at lower brightness so not ideal. Will try it and see if it's better.

My GF thinks it's hilarious that I'm moaning about stuff like this, but immediately sticks her fingers in the her ears when I start talking about that Exynos chip in her S20 Ultra...

Soldato
Ah yes, the missus experiences much the same bafflement. I could spot a dead pixel on a monitor at 40 paces or, much like yourself, a defect on a phone screen yet can't see that 'dust' behind the living room door :p:p

Soldato
Yes, although it's plastic and on mine the cutout for the selfie camera was "off" which also annoyed me and wanted any excuse to take it off. My liquid UV screen protector install went wrong though so currently running naked until a replacement arrives.

Associate
Yes, although it's plastic and on mine the cutout for the selfie camera was "off" which also annoyed me and wanted any excuse to take it off. My liquid UV screen protector install went wrong though so currently running naked until a replacement arrives.

Interesting, mine has just arrived and there is not one pre applied??? But 2 in the box.

Associate
8 Pro here. Great phone, came with a pre installed screen protector, no screen issues.

Came from a Pixel XL, so the 8 Pro is lightning fast!

Did you order direct from OnePlus? Seems a bit hit and miss if you get a preinstalled screen protector.

Back
Top Bottom