• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x won't idle it's clocks. Stuck on 4ghz +

Associate
OP
Potential motherboard problem perhaps? It's still under warranty.

I cant' fault the performance of the 3900x at all it's just it's constantly 50 - 60 idle. Using the RGB Wraith cooler which can't be that great and I know how to paste correctly. All my intel chips were in the low 30's idle!

Caporegime
Potential motherboard problem perhaps? It's still under warranty.

I cant' fault the performance of the 3900x at all it's just it's constantly 50 - 60 idle. Using the RGB Wraith cooler which can't be that great and I know how to paste correctly. All my intel chips were in the low 30's idle!
I had the Wraith Prism and Idle was always 40c* with nothing running but it was not that high.

What speed is the fan running at and have you checked it is connected properly and repasted it?

Soldato
Reset bios, then update to latest bios and use default settings.

And use fresh install of windows.

If the issues still remain it's a hardware issue

Associate
Go into the selected power plan and then advanced options. What value have you got set for minimum power state under processor power management?

Associate
OP
Going to return the board. After much googling yesterday, it seems MSI are one of the worst for this.

Found pages and pages of people on MSI x470, x570 and the b series all experiencing the same on MSI boards. Most of them swapped to a different brand and haven't had any problems.

Permabanned
I have 3 ryzen systems in the house and all are the same.

Downloading the chip set drivers from AMD helped 2, but the other just sits at max clocks all the time.

I think Its an amd problem.

Soldato
Same issue here but with a Gigabyte Aorus x570 Elite.

If I change the power options to power saver in windows it clocks down to 2.16ghz & doesn't move from there. Any other power settings & the CPU stays at 4ghz.

Associate
I'll say this just incase people overlooked it or have not tried this as a last resort... no guarantees or anything but just my experience.

Backup everything you need and then do a clean Windows install, set your PC up to use c-states and install the barebone drivers with AMD Chipset stuff. Install Ryzen Master and no other monitoring software or additional programs and see if you have similar issues.

When I had my AMD build, I noticed similar issues when I would even have just Discord in the background. Discord even doing miniscule stuff such as I guess checking if people are still online is enough to not trigger idle status and boosts happen. Having just discord open increased idle temps iirc. Now I think about it, if you install Windows with that auto online account stuff, it's probably sending so much data home constantly that having the cpu idle would not happen. Use an offline W10 account (unplug Ethernet on install) then run O&O Shutup10 to disable call home stuff. If all of that still fails then yes I guess either the CPU or motherboard is weirdly faulty.

Back
Top Bottom