Macbook pro 16 or a gaming laptop

Soldato
Yeah, there's talk of the 16" model recieving an upgrade to Mini-LED later this year and supposedly the upcoming 14" MacBook Pro will also feature the same tech.

It'll be interesting to see how it compares with OLED. Whilst I agree OLED displays look glorious I'm still not convinced the tech is a good fit long term for a monitor due to issues with burn in.

I agree.

Doesn't take away from that the current MBP outside of marginally managing reflections better than previous generations, hasn't really improved dramatically in last 5-6 years.

Permabanned
My main apprehension with buying a macbook is:

1. GPU power not being as good as the competition - easy to accept, its apple.
2. Display being inferior to the competition - this one I find harder to accept. Apple have really rested on their laurels display-wise and I don't think they compete well enough with the 144hz or OLED screens which the competition offer.

Target audience.

Most Apple users wouldn’t want the extra power draw of 144Hz

And the screen is very good.

OLED will make it in when more proven for desktop use

Soldato
Target audience.

Most Apple users wouldn’t want the extra power draw of 144Hz

And the screen is very good.

OLED will make it in when more proven for desktop use

The iPad Pro has a beautiful high refresh rate screen which is slightly more relavant with the times

I just can’t look past the fact that the mbp screen seems outdated. Rather than improving pq or contrast or refresh rate, they just added an inch and aspect ratio.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking of getting the MBP for work for several reasons. The main one is that I need a Mac to develop iOS and macOS software, the battery life of my current Windows gaming laptop is awful and I can run Windows on the MBP anyway if I need to. Cost is a bit of a concern though.

Associate
I got myself one of these 16" last month and honestly the keyboard alone makes it worth it over my 2018 13" with butterfly. The larger screen is amazing and the extra RAM and graphics make it a doddle to edit 4k video.
and the battery is still class given the massive screen running at 70%+ brightness

Back
Top Bottom