Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Soldato
I too find the Quest uncomfortable so I bought a couple of things to hopefully help. I will leave reviews when they arrive.

I also needed to do something about the headstrap. I tried some of the DIY solutions like adding a sock as an extra head strap support and also a counter weight to the back but I don't think it made a huge difference. So instead I have ordered one of these halo straps:

https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/halo-strap/

I have ordered the one with the headphones which is quite a new version so there aren't any reviews of it yet. I will be sure to leave a review when I get it but it may be a while before it arrives from China.

Providing you fit the strap to the back of your head properly you shouldnt need to go to these extremes. I just bought the rear padded strap for a bit of extra comfort.

Does not affect the hairstyle, does not press the face
I like on the goquestvr page the benefit it lists above. Does not affect my hairstyle anyway as I dont have much hair!

Associate
Providing you fit the strap to the back of your head properly you shouldnt need to go to these extremes. I just bought the rear padded strap for a bit of extra comfort.

I have always had issues with VR headset comfort. I have tried Gear VR, Rift and now Quest. All have been uncomfortable but Quest is the worst. Too front heavy. I have tried the back of the strap at the base of my skull but you need to have it tight on your face to stop it slipping which makes it uncomfortable. I suppose everyone's head is different so everyone has a different experience.

I like on the goquestvr page the benefit it lists above. Does not affect my hairstyle anyway as I dont have much hair!

I'm the same. Clinging on to what little hair I have left but it's days are numbered!

Associate
I also needed to do something about the headstrap. I tried some of the DIY solutions like adding a sock as an extra head strap support and also a counter weight to the back but I don't think it made a huge difference. So instead I have ordered one of these halo straps:

https://www.goquestvr.com/index.php/product/halo-strap/

I have ordered the one with the headphones which is quite a new version so there aren't any reviews of it yet. I will be sure to leave a review when I get it but it may be a while before it arrives from China.

I've got the V2 Halo Strap and it's a game changer for me, I've got a head that is on the small side so I would have to really tighten the straps on the original set-up to get a decent fit and it really put a lot of pressure on my cheeks that would become painful after 30 mins of play.

Now with the Halo strap there is no pressure on my cheeks/face at all as the weight is distributed from the forehead to the back of the head. I did a 2 hour session on HL Alyx last night which I could not have done before!

It doesn't seem to be the sturdiest thing in the world though so I hope it lasts (I know V1 was plagued with reliability issues) but I couldn't go back to the original head strap now.

Soldato
I am having a little trouble getting the headset into the right spot on my face vertically. Its sitting ever so slightly too low but there is nothing to pull it up a few mm.

Also the top strap has flattened my hair in the centre so it looks like an inverted mohecan now.

I think what it could do with is a mod to somehow rest it on the top of my nose a little. That would help support the weight and push the device up a touch.

On the software side ive just been trying bigscreen. What a weird place! I could join a virtual cinema room with some film or other on and there were other real people in it. One room had Batman Returns on. Surprised its allowed as thought it would be copyright issues?

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the V2 Halo Strap and it's a game changer for me, I've got a head that is on the small side so I would have to really tighten the straps on the original set-up to get a decent fit and it really put a lot of pressure on my cheeks that would become painful after 30 mins of play.

Now with the Halo strap there is no pressure on my cheeks/face at all as the weight is distributed from the forehead to the back of the head. I did a 2 hour session on HL Alyx last night which I could not have done before!

It doesn't seem to be the sturdiest thing in the world though so I hope it lasts (I know V1 was plagued with reliability issues) but I couldn't go back to the original head strap now.

Good to hear other peoples experiences of the Halo Strap. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long to receive it.

Associate
Associate
AnyDVD HD, and the freeware BDMKV3D utility. You can use BDMKV3D on MKV's made with MakeMKV too.

thanks for the heads up , will give those a try, I thought anydvd HD was dead/couldn’t get it any more ?

had a strange problem yesterday, which was partly my fault, had been playing project stardust a lot, anyway, had not realised the battery was low,
Went to check for updates as on version 15, and it said version 16 was available, but then asked me to plug in a cable for update,

before I had a chance the headset died,

plugged cable in, but know it looks like I’ve lost all my menus and home screen, like it’s lost it’s config ?
Anyone else experience this ?

obviously with life continuing I left it to charge, it’s at 100% ow so will see what happens today, but a bit worried it’s screwed itself up:eek:

Soldato
i think you press one of the buttons to on the controllers to bring the menus back. i was a bit confused whent it happened to me as well.

that halo strap looks very decent

Soldato
thanks for the heads up , will give those a try, I thought anydvd HD was dead/couldn’t get it any more ?

If you have MakeMKV you don't need AnyDVD HD. Just create a 3D MKV using MakeMKV, then use BDMKV3D to convert the MKV to a side-by-side version, which works really well in Skybox.

Associate
i think you press one of the buttons to on the controllers to bring the menus back. i was a bit confused whent it happened to me as well.

switched on this morning and normal service restored! yay, but your right i probably needed to press a button to get it back to home display,

on the headstrap front, that halo does look nice and quite polished in its finish, look forward to seeing a review on here from @varkanoid when it arrives , but im also keeping an eye on the one from etsy that was posted not so long ago,,, truth is i was looking at the frankenquest one, and it was in stock, should have ordered it lol, but its a lot of money,
If you have MakeMKV you don't need AnyDVD HD. Just create a 3D MKV using MakeMKV, then use BDMKV3D to convert the MKV to a side-by-side version, which works really well in Skybox.
oh ok, thanks , i have it ready, so will get BDMKV3D and try it,

Associate

i just figured out what the problem was, i had not realised when you connect the link that gives you a different home screen, that was what i was seeing ha ha

Associate
ah think you meant BD3D2MK3D ? sorry not splitting hairs, BDMKV3D search brought nothing up what so ever, so did a search for converting to sbs and BD3D2MK3D came up !

Soldato
Please could someone help me with getting assetto corsa to work?

I have tried launching via content manager and through the native steam app and neither will show in VR on the quest. I have the virtual desktop enabled and working fine, and I can get to within the steamvr home environment fine.

Don't know what to try. I did try googling it but couldn't find a solid guide.

Soldato
All i see is the desktop screen within the headset. I took a screenshot but now sidequest won't recognise the headset either - it was working yesterday!

Ah got it after several restarts. This is what i see:

ZpMoIqW.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom