How to stop Windows 10 Home installing feature update?

Soldato
Is there any way to stop Windows 10 Home from installing feature updates? I tried disabling updates using ShutUp10 but it keeps turning them back on.

I've got an old laptop that just gets stuck in a loop of it taking all night to install, the update then breaks windows as the display drivers stop working properly and no driver updates are available. I then roll back the update which takes ages and it then works again until Windows forces a feature update install.

It's an old machine that doesn't need any new features and works fine on the current install, I can understand security updates being forced but is there really no way to stop feature updates?

Soldato
Which version of Windows is currently on the laptop? Also, what is the make and model of the video adapter?

Before anything, use Macrium Reflect to take an image of the system as it is now. If things don't work out, you know you can just restore this image back.

The first thing I thought of was to try a fresh install of the current (1909) version of Windows 10. If you still get problems with the drivers, try using Snappy Driver Installer Origin to see if it has any other drivers to offer. Failing that, completely uninstall the driver and choose to delete the files, restart the laptop and let Windows 10 install the driver again.

Perhaps a search might also reveal other people having identical problems with the same video adapter and have found a solution or workaround.

I find Microsoft's way of forcing "feature" updates a little frustrating. I'll never quite understand why they very much insist that users have the latest version of Windows, no matter what the cost is.

Back
Top Bottom