Power cut forces ryzen build check

Associate
Unfortunately a power cut killed my somewhat aged i5-2500k system - at 9 years old it had done well, only recently struggling with RDR2.

So now need a replacement with whatever is currently in stock. Will be salvaging from the i5 system:
250gb OS SSD
3tb HDD
RX-480 AMD graphics card
Raijintek Themis Direct Contact CPU Cooler

Thinking of purchasing the following, needing a new high airflow case with front ports and dust filters, although not sure if psu is overkill. Have I missed anything? Cpu paste?
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £635.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Got one rather frustrated teenager as well now - lol!

Soldato
Here's already overkill for that CPU+GPU 10 year warranty PSU.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...w-80-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-06v-ss.html

While using absolute top chips that memory is rather price for basic 2x8GB.
Though 3200MHz CAS16 kit prices have jumped.

Arctic MX-4 is good level paste at good price.

Quarter TB SSD is really misreably small by today's standards with very little games fitting on it.
Also if it's original drive it's no doubt slower than todays drives.
Though SSD caching would be option if not wanting to pay for SSD space for more games.

Soldato
Looks like a good spec. Swap out the RAM for the 3600 stuff which is actually the same price: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08q-tg.html

Your PSU choice is great, it's a good quality PSU. Case is a fairly personal choice, but I would recommend you look as this for a nice high airflow case: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/frac...ase-black-light-tempered-glass-ca-080-fd.html

Thermal paste, you will struggle to buy anything that's bad these days. I personally use this: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...formance-thermal-paste-1-gramm-th-020-tg.html

My only other recommendation would be a larger SSD, possibly an NVMe drive to go into your motherboard for some more OS and program space.

Associate
OP
Good shout on the memory as had wanted corsair vengeance lpx memory which isn't currently available - will switch to 3600

Found some artic mx4 paste - no idea how old though, does it go off?

Agree on the drives, but that's not critical - they were swapped out a couple of years ago, so can sort that out at a more lesurely pace.

Soldato
A 750w psu is overkill and quite pricey for those components which would use only about 350w, even with a 3950x and rtx 2080ti a 650w unit would still be enough.

The 8 pack ram is exellent stuff and binned b-die but unless your into manually tuning up ram it won't give you a huge amount more at xmp settings over ram that is a lot cheaper.

Associate
OP
The XFX RADEON RX 480 GTR 8GB recommended PSU was 550W, hence thought 750W PSU would be adequate for now and the future, when adding power for components.

650W PSU saves £30, and the 3600 8 pack ram is cheap and available - don't forget I'll probably need to order today

Soldato
PSU is overkill but 650w should last a while. Corsair has same 10yr but prefer to seasonic as before replace with new units, Corsair cones from UK warehouse, Seasonic from Germany (Corsair has UK warehouse, Seasonic is EU) . Both have their EMA units fixed in Germany though (Seasonic make higher end Corsair units ) and then resold via B-Grade stock .

Save more on ram , and overclock to 3600hz

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...-ddr4-3200-udimm-gaming-memory-my-20c-cr.html

Same as your budget

Total: £645.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Ryzen 3700

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Nice suggestions orbitalwalsh - cheers

Torn between cases now - was about to pull the plug with Fractal's Meshify C, but then that BeQuiet Pure base ARGB just come in stock

Going for a walk to decide!!!

Soldato
Why such rushed case changing?
I'm still on 2008 Lian Li PC-A71B.
Though modded in few places starting from internals to change of top panel to successor model's one with bigger I/O panel and four USB3 port panel in it.

Down sized to Johnsbo case, have the size and days gone by for needing 1200w PSU and 60mm quad rad to cool quad SLi cards haha .
Such a beautiful case, pushing Silverstone to update and release . Was such an icon !

Associate
OP
Went with the BeQuiet Pure base ARGB - couldn't ignore the 3 fans on the front.
And the Tomahawk board because the Mortar one sold out.

Let's see if my bored teenager can build it (or muggins on the weekend)

Soldato
Nice suggestions orbitalwalsh - cheers

Torn between cases now - was about to pull the plug with Fractal's Meshify C, but then that BeQuiet Pure base ARGB just come in stock

Going for a walk to decide!!!

Slightly more, 6 cores not 8 but 5600xt ...

Total: £735.10 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Sorry, just saw you ordered :)

Associate
OP
Graphics card can wait - disks and monitor will be next planned upgrades

Have my eye on these S2719DGF monitors - decent upgrade from my current 22" Dell 2209WA!

Associate
OP
Not sure if I can amend order... status is "Order received - not yet shipped"

Will see what state of play is tomorrow morning

Back
Top Bottom