• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Caporegime
Not really, those locked in to Z370/Z390 have no upgrade path to these, thanks Intel.

Whats new there? Intel release new chipsets and pinouts on the cpu like they're going out of fashion. For the most part it seems like they make minor changes and then claim it was needed for "xyz" reason, then someone mods a bios and makes their new cpu's magically work on an unsupported platform.

Soldato
Those are great prices. We should see some of the top bins being daily ran at 54x and 4700+ ram with tight timings. That will be really fast.

Just something I didn't notice at first but it's obvious - Intel slides are always commercial pricing for trays - the actual retail prices will be higher than these slides, the prices in these slides is what Dell pays when they order 10 thousand units at once.

I think I've already seen a all core 5.3ghz 10900k on a benchmark a few weeks back drawing 325w on 1.28v - no idea about the binning we won't know until reviews

Last edited:
Soldato
So they fixed the issue with the Z490 Ethernet but that does not fix the stuff already made right? the stuff sitting currently in warehouses etc? from what i understand they are now manufacturing with the fix... would hate to get one of those non fixed mobos, especially at the price they are likely to end up at. Hopefully this is the last iteration of 14nm from Intel, none of this looks appealing in all honesty, high ghz numbers so what, not at that price they are charging. Go home Intel your drunk.

Soldato
So they fixed the issue with the Z490 Ethernet but that does not fix the stuff already made right? the stuff sitting currently in warehouses etc? from what i understand they are now manufacturing with the fix... would hate to get one of those non fixed mobos, especially at the price they are likely to end up at. Hopefully this is the last iteration of 14nm from Intel, none of this looks appealing in all honesty, high ghz numbers so what, not at that price they are charging. Go home Intel your drunk.

Spot on, no mobo vendors are going to change ethernet chips on boards already sitting in warehouses. Because it's a dead end platform as well, those same vendors more than likely will never sell all the stock they already have. The upshot of which is, all the Z490 boards will have to be set manually at 1GbE.

Soldato
Intel's presentation slides have leaked including retail pricing.

Ibtel is pushing frequency hard, their main marketing push is their claim that half of games prefer single thread clock speed

To be fair that claim is probably accurate across the entire PC game library.

Associate
The 10900k could actually be quite good, if - as some rumors suggest - you can get 10 cores at 5.2-5.3Ghz. That will push the 3900x all the way on the highly threaded workloads. Of course concerns will be about cooling for it, and for me personally I wonder if it can operate AVX loads at those frequencies. But sounds like gamers are eyeing up that CPU purely because of the high clocks.

Intel was always going to push the frequencies as far as they could.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 10900k could actually be quite good, if - as some rumors suggest - you can get 10 cores at 5.2-5.3Ghz. That will push the 3900x all the way on the highly threaded workloads. Of course concerns will be about cooling for it, and for me personally I wonder if it can operate AVX loads at those frequencies. But sounds like gamers are eyeing up that CPU purely because of the high clocks.

Intel was always going to push the frequencies as far as they could.

No is not. Just normal boost clocks and hits 325W. Trying to push all core 5.2Ghz and would go over 450W easily. And even with 360mm AIO the temps are hitting boiling point (100C).

Thats why 11 series is out in just 6 months from now with new Z590 motherboards and top chip 8 core CPU.

And for what? Is already slower than the 3900X let alone the 3950X and won't be able to compete against the 4000 series in just 4 months time.

10000 series is not good as the rumours suggest and going to be very short lived also. Anyone buying it knowingly full well that 11th series is just 5 months away isn't a consumer.

Soldato
When are the chips physically available, and when is the review embargo?

Saw the answer, tomorrow, late tomorrow
Interesting.

Now the K and KF versions, F used to refer to ****** up integrated graphics, so chips that had the GFX cut, as the die was damaged but they could salvage the rest.
What does the F refer to now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom