Your experience with OLED burn-in

Soldato
would be interesting to know to what extent there is a form over function trade-off ... customer wants a wafer thin, or rollable oled, versus something that's an inch thick and less burn-in susceptible. (.... like mobile phone form factor)

Associate
Vertical lines are NOT burn in. Unless of course you've had something on your screen shaped like a vertical line displaying constantly and I bet you did not. That's how burn in works, you can't get burn in in a shape that you have not had on the screen - I can't watch a movie about surfing and then get a Ferrari burnt into the screen.

these vertical lines is a hardware failure and will need fixing, you'll need to RMA it

edit: looked at your picture, yeah that's unlikely to be burn in - it looks like something behind the panel is visible through the screen, could be related to the look up table issue maybe? This line may have been there since you got the panel and you only realised now.

Tonight put a 5% grey image on the screen in a pitch black room and take a picture so we can see

I did a fair bit of testing when the new panel was installed. There was the tiniest bit of banding on grey but an acceptable level knowing this to be normal for oleds, extensively checking red green and blue screens were completely clear and content was flawless. Now it's visible in day to day watching.

I just tried the grey test again, I'm pretty sure it has worsened on grey in line with how it has degraded on the red pixels, but I'll grab a pic of grey when dark tonight.

Here's how it looks on orange and yellow. I won't be watching mad max fury road in a hurry!

https://imgur.com/a/cqtGfCt

The lines are more like columns.

Soldato
I'd still rather replace my OLED every 3-4 years than put up with the downsides of LCD, even the ones with a high number of dimming zones still have issues of bloom, loss of detail (star fields etc)

£1200-1500 every 3-4 years isn't a massive amount of cash when you see what people spend on phones or graphics cards every year.

Soldato
My first year of OLED ownership has been a breeze, let's hope for many more - though with a 5 year warranty that's gauranteed anyway

Pug

Pug

Soldato
I've had OLEDs for years now currently on a 65 LG, and whilst I'm cautious I've never had anything more than mild retention.

My father has a 55 LG OLED and as he leaves TV channels on all day (even if not being watched) I'm afraid to say he has suffered quite bad burn-in, in parts.

Worst case he left a log fire YouTube video on for hours on Christmas day, a d now the centre of his screen shows really dark on reds/oranges

When mine dies I'll buy another in a heartbeat, love 'em, but it is an issue. I also wonder if different gen panels have better/worse luck with it. I have a 55 older than my dad's in one room, and a 65 newer in another room and neither have shown anything of concern...

Soldato
i get some brief (maybe 2 minute image retention if i left a static image too long, usually only visible on a grey background,
Very minor, not even worth mentioning.

On a LG b7 i've had about 18 months

Soldato
i get some brief (maybe 2 minute image retention if i left a static image too long, usually only visible on a grey background,
Very minor, not even worth mentioning.

On a LG b7 i've had about 18 months

It's very common, but not a serious issue. I have a C7 and have experienced the same thing. A great culprit, if anyone wants to test it, is the YouTube app. Switch to a 5% grey scale after being on the YouTube app and you'll see the logo. It fades away over a couple of minutes though.

As for burn-in, I play both PS4 and PC games on mine, plenty of static HUDs, but it's still great. I don't deny it's a problem, I just think that people are overly worried about it. That being said, I wouldn't leave a news channel on for 6 hours a day though.

Associate
I watch sky news for approx 30 mins morning and evening and that damn ticker tape is burnt into the screen after 4 years on a 55 E6.
It was too late before I realised and now i change from 16:9 to cut the ticker tape from bottom of screen on news channels but the damage is done unfortunately.

Not to mention i also have a visible Netflix logo in bottom right of the screen and that is only displayed when browsing Netflix menus so not on screen that long!

Soldato
Been speaking to LG about some lines that have appeared on our TV, They have said it's a fault and even though it's out of warranty they are offering a repair once COVID-19 lockdown is over.

They are unable to do it onsite and said they'll need to collect it and take it away to fix it.

Associate
Been speaking to LG about some lines that have appeared on our TV, They have said it's a fault and even though it's out of warranty they are offering a repair once COVID-19 lockdown is over.

They are unable to do it onsite and said they'll need to collect it and take it away to fix it.
Is that a free repair?

Soldato

Out of curiosity, what sort of lines?

Associate
What's this I keep hearing that LG are now repairing burn in for 200quid?
A lot of us have this green blob issue (google it and or look back at my posts in here) where LG/retailers say it’s not covered under warranty but LG UK are offering a repair for a price of £200.00 - this is a fixed price covering parts, labour, all packaging and carriage fees, VAT and comes with a 90 day service warranty on the exchanged panel.

Soldato
what is the rationale, as to why it is not 'notionally' covered under typical 5/6year original seller warranty ?
apart from the 90day warranty on the exchanged panel, that seller could/should have offered a refund with deduction for usage folks have had,
£200 in lieu of that deduction sounds reasonable.
... well apart from the 90day risk, if folks are suffering a new failure, after 90days it is less of a gift horse, impacting potential resale too.

Like you have commented in the other thread if they have, as well, given you a reduction on a new set that would offset the risk

Back
Top Bottom