PPE Equipment Shortage & OCUK Thanks

Soldato
Hi,

As many are aware I began making face visors and handing them out, i made 800 out my own pocket and then it blew up and everyone kept asking me for one

With the help of OCUK i managed to make enough in donations to provide 2000 :), as all monies were put towards materials.

I have since been featured in a newspaper article in Liverpool Echo, which had 6000 shares. Another loval paper, the Big Issue North, BBC Radio Merseyside, Take A Break, Reel News, Smooth FM, Gold, Capital and Heart.

I may have done this from the goodness of my heart, an i still am but without those donations it would not have been possible, so OCUK, THANK YOU :)

A GoFundMe has been set up, which i hope to reach enough donations to provide much more :)

Please consider donating at: https://www.gofundme.com/f/massmasks?

For more info on why i started, what they cost to make and how, see massmasks.co.uk

Soldato
Well done! I've been printing as / when I can, I've got 3 UM2+'s in work and 3 of us with our own have been doing what we can, around 20-30 a day all going to local hospitals.

Apologies for not donating, I'm spending what I can on filament so I'm sure you'll understand.

Anyone wondering whether to donate, please do, 2000 visors costs a fair bit in filament, I don't know how the ops been funding that himself so deserves some help!

Associate
Hi Chris,

I have been making the Kitronik laser cut ones (distributed over 10,000!) and have been 3D printing the Prusa design (done about 350 of those).

What design are you using?

The Prusa one takes about 2 hours per headband - I get 25 visors from a 1kg spool. Where as I can laser cut 100 per hour, using either 0.5 or 0.8mm PP. I have now run out of PVC front sheet and cannot source any. Where are you getting yours from?

I am lucky that I have access to a school workshop (5 3D printers and a reasonable sized laser).

Keep up the good work!

Soldato
Hi Chris,

I have been making the Kitronik laser cut ones (distributed over 10,000!) and have been 3D printing the Prusa design (done about 350 of those).

The Prusa one takes about 2 hours per headband - I get 25 visors from a 1kg spool. Where as I can laser cut 100 per hour, using either 0.5 or 0.8mm PP. I have now run out of PVC front sheet and cannot source any. Where are you getting yours from?

I am lucky that I have access to a school workshop (5 3D printers and a reasonable sized laser).

Keep up the good work!
I've also been unable to source the sheets.
I've only got 600 left :(

I've been talking to Chris a lot on Facebook.

I delivered 180 Shields yesterday to various care homes :)

Man of Honour
Hi Chris,

Keep up the good work!

I have been printing the RC3 Slim, Got the time down to about an hour per visor and also seems preferred over the Prusa RC1. I have been working with a group called Visor Crew and they come and pick up from me every wednesday.

Soldato
OP
I cannot wait until spool prices go down. I have been 3d Printing for years and seems so many people jumped on the bandwagon with these, I am hoping there will be lots of bargains after Covid-19

Big well done to you guys. Shame we even have to be doing this.

Man of Honour
I cannot wait until spool prices go down. I have been 3d Printing for years and seems so many people jumped on the bandwagon with these, I am hoping there will be lots of bargains after Covid-19

Big well done to you guys. Shame we even have to be doing this.

Picked up a kilogram spool of PLA + Carbon Fibre for £15 in the week which I thought was pretty fair. It was basically the only colour/PLA available - Visor Crew are also providing me with Polymaker PLA as well but ive been using my own also. Im fairly new to the 3d printing scene but what should a roll of good quality pla go for?

Soldato
It's marvellous to see so many people using their skills and kit to help out. I've been spinning around so much in my own bubble that I didn't realise all this was going on.

Fantastic.

Associate
The ward my sister works on had all the home 3d printed visors removed by management as apparently 'they didn't meet regulations'. They were told visors are no longer a requirement, just p2 face mask, gloves and disposable apron.

Soldato
Fantastic work!

Just in case we all forget though the NHS isn’t supposed to be a charity it is supposed to be publicly funded. It is only in this mess because those in power starved it of cash and ignored repeated warnings of what would happen in a pandemic situation.

Associate
I have been printing the RC3 Slim, Got the time down to about an hour per visor and also seems preferred over the Prusa RC1. I have been working with a group called Visor Crew and they come and pick up from me every wednesday.

Thanks for the heads up on the Slim version - printed 16 with no issues. 1 hour 9 minutes a print and only 7.5m of filament per print! - a huge improvement.

Back
Top Bottom