• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x won't idle it's clocks. Stuck on 4ghz +

Soldato
All I know is uninstalling it made the system ideal instantly

a little while ago a windows update broke some of my software and uninstalling the update fixed it. Some you tubers did a video on it, common issue/ that's why I suggested you do a clean install to check if windows is your problem

Soldato
Check this. In windows power plan set it to high performance then go into advanced power plan setup and go to processor. Have a look at the percentage speed i cant remember of the top of my head but there is 2 percentages there. The minimum one should be set to 5 percent and the highest one should be set to 100 percent.
Its possible your having software issues and both these settings are at 100 percent so the cpu does not downclock.

Soldato
If I change the power options to power saver in windows it clocks down to 2.16ghz & doesn't move from there. Any other power settings & the CPU stays at 4ghz.

May be same issue as i described above. In power save mode advanced power profile settings will have processor max speed capped at 50 percent like on laptops when power saver mode is activated.
Im pretty sure thats where you issues lie. I cant get the correct profile info since im posting from the toilet.

Soldato
Soldato
Check this. In windows power plan set it to high performance then go into advanced power plan setup and go to processor. Have a look at the percentage speed i cant remember of the top of my head but there is 2 percentages there. The minimum one should be set to 5 percent and the highest one should be set to 100 percent.
Its possible your having software issues and both these settings are at 100 percent so the cpu does not downclock.
Somewhere I read that this minimum should be set to 99% as this then allows the chipset/CPU to control downclocking. Seems to be working on mine now

Soldato
this is the setting area im on about:
power.png

also on a dual core haswell cpu iv noticed using a wall plug meter that minimum clock at 5% vs 100% has a 0.2w difference from the wall. so not really beneficial on dual core haswell to downclock seeing as how the system felt considerably more snappier when at 100% minimum state.

also on an haswell xeon if the plan was not set to high performance it would not boost to max single core turbo speed.

Soldato
on intel it seems to do exactly what it should do. not sure why amd are having such issues but more threads like this are popping up on this and other forums. im probably gonna hold off on a ryzen upgrade for 2 years. let the platform mature more, who knows maybe intel will be back in the game then.

Soldato

Yeah that is one of the first things I checked processor power management. Always used to do that on my Intel CPU.

Still the same with all the different options people have suggested.

[Edit:- I've gone through all the power options in windows, Setting them all to 5% min & 100% max, restarted & that seems to have finally sorted it!]

Associate
It's pretty much normal on default for the vcore to idle at 1.5v~1.375v. If you want lower temps try set vcore offset to -0.0625 from default auto (best balance between reduced heat and performance imo). Global c-states from my experience doesn't power down the cores it just temporarily drops their usage from 1.4v or whatever you're running at normally to about 1.1v for a few seconds before going back up.

Caporegime
Yeah that is one of the first things I checked processor power management. Always used to do that on my Intel CPU.

Still the same with all the different options people have suggested.

[Edit:- I've gone through all the power options in windows, Setting them all to 5% min & 100% max, restarted & that seems to have finally sorted it!]
If this is the case then you likely have something installed in Windows which is kicking the cpu frequency up.

Associate
I had a problem this morning where CSGO was running like crap
(35fps)

Noticed that neither my CPU nor GPU (3600 +v56) were boosting to max clocks.

Changed power plan from "performance" to "ballanced" and it was back to 300+ fps and normal clocks.

Something is messed up with windows power management.

Soldato
If this is the case then you likely have something installed in Windows which is kicking the cpu frequency up.

Not a clue to be fair, I did have SIV (some gigabyte software) installed which controlled the fans. But since I did the power options it has been fine, Its now stepping down & up just fine.

Caporegime
Not a clue to be fair, I did have SIV (some gigabyte software) installed which controlled the fans. But since I did the power options it has been fine, Its now stepping down & up just fine.
I just tested the Ryzen power profile at min 99% and the CPU does idle down as it should so something is causing it to stay locked at a higher frequency on your system.
q7rrJ0a.png

Associate
This is an very good thread. I had no idea Coretemp etc read Ryzen CPU’s incorrectly. I was getting just over 50c idling in coretemp after installed Ryzen master and now even lowering the Volts I’m sitting at between 32-37c.

Soldato
Dont know if its a thing or not, but Ryzen master reports different speeds when side by side to Windows task manager performance tab. Ryzen master reports im idleing @ 500-800mhz while at the same time task manager says im at 4ghz.

Back
Top Bottom