Beef suet pudding?

Soldato
Wondering if anyone has made one of these. We have some leftover beef shin and Guinness stew on the menu for tomorrow night. Usually do suet dumplings but I fancy blingin' it up a bit and making a couple of individual suet puddings.

I've seen some recipes that call for raw ingredients to go in the puddings. Would putting a cooked stew in there work ok? :confused: They seem to steam for 2hrs ish which does seem a long time although I guess it's a gentle-ish heat no?

Any pointers or decent recipes out there to follow? :)

Soldato
easily 2 hours, you need the heat to melt and cook through the suit granules ... maybe you have fresh (ended with mad cow ?)
pre-cooked/browned w/kidneys better imhop, otherwise w/raw increase cook time.
you can pressure cook, but if its bubbling in the monitored pan, that's fine - steam temps, steam temp, like a bain-marie,
usually put a couple of skewers to keep the basin off of the pan base. and grease proof at base of basin.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure I followed your post 100%. But I was planning on using leftover stew (ie already cooked). Wondering how well that would go in the steamer for 2hrs usb, or if I could or should reduce the time at all? Don't want undercooked suet...

Soldato
steam is a gentle way to cook something. so 2 hours is not going to overcook it.

You need to do it in a saucepan ... I don't think one of those vegetable steamers would work .. not vigorous enough ... and the bottom of the basin is usually in the water.

I've always cooked them with a pudding-cloth tied on the top (just eating pic) .... don't know if an impervious piece of foil would work.

Soldato
I read it and was a bit like
ok , some additional notes for GenX .. tell me if you need GenY

easily 2 hours, you need the heat to melt and cook through the suit granules ... maybe you have fresh (ended with mad cow ?)
pre-cooked/browned w/kidneys better imhop, otherwise w/raw increase cook time.
you can pressure cook, but if its bubbling in the monitored pan, that's fine - steam temps, steam temp, like a bain-marie,
usually put a couple of skewers to keep the basin off of the pan base. and grease proof at base of basin.
easily cooks in 2hrs - what suet do you have
better to pre-brown and prepare meat in gravy
can be pressure cooked, keep pan bubbling don't let it burn dry ... steam temperature if it's not under pressure is not going to vary much like a baine marie (use wiki)
support the (pudding!) basin off the bae of the saucepan, put grease proof at base of basin.

Soldato
I always get my filling cooked to just under before filling a suet pudding. I’m normally using chuck, brisket, shin or similar so tough meat that I like to cook for 3 or 4 hours at low heat. So I’d definitely cook the stew first.

Soldato
OP
I always get my filling cooked to just under before filling a suet pudding. I’m normally using chuck, brisket, shin or similar so tough meat that I like to cook for 3 or 4 hours at low heat. So I’d definitely cook the stew first.
I did, I said I had leftover stew ;)

Anyhoo. It worked really well. I read a few recipes (mainly one of the Hairy Bikers ones) but they are all essentially 2:1 flour-to-suet and add enough water to make a dough. Roll it out, leaving a quarter for the lid, fill your container, do the lid. There you go. Very easy.

bM3noEY.jpg

The only thing I didn't have (due to using leftover stew) was extra sauce to make gravy. So there's just instant there. Nevermind. It was all lush.

Back
Top Bottom