Road Cycling

Soldato
Had my first ride with the Shimano S-Phyre this evening... wow! Smashed many a PR. The route I've done 20+ times with a previous best of just under 1hr 4 mins, I did just under an hour! Very impressed with them.

:D Glad you like them pal and that you're not calling me a knob for recommending something that you didn't like :p

No cycling for me :(

Mrs is positive, I have to isolate for 14 days. :o

Farm simulator is gon' be hammered.

Sorry to hear your Mrs is unwell Jonny.
I hope she doesn't suffer too much with it and gets shot of it swiftly pal :)
Don't worry about the cycling. Going to be **** all this year. CX Scottish series cancelled already which is after all the stuff we'd be interested in so that's gonna get canned I imagine. No hint of bunches or that being OK any time soon either so smash the beers, food and games.
I'm a secret farm simulator nerd btw, shhhhhh.

Soldato
:D Glad you like them pal and that you're not calling me a knob for recommending something that you didn't like :p

Don't worry about the cycling. Going to be **** all this year. CX Scottish series cancelled already which is after all the stuff we'd be interested in so that's gonna get canned I imagine. No hint of bunches or that being OK any time soon either so smash the beers, food and games.
One of the CX series down here has cancelled which I don't get with the fact nobody knows what's going to be going on so far in advance and no costs will have to be committed until at the earliest a couple of months before. Best not be cancelled as it's the only thing I've got to look forward to, oh apparently I've got to get married this year but that's already been postponed...

Soldato
I would be doing my first vets criterium this week if it wasn't for C-19.

My fitness is reasonably good too, I feel quite strong. Ah well, will probably just hit the roads Sat or Sunday and just empty the tank & see what sort of watts & mph I've got in me, **** all else to do.

Serious question though - are we all best to revert back to winter training for the next month or so? Endurance work? Or maybe SS work just to try keep things ticking over in case some racing does actually materialise?

Soldato
Had my first ride with the Shimano S-Phyre this evening... wow! Smashed many a PR. The route I've done 20+ times with a previous best of just under 1hr 4 mins, I did just under an hour! Very impressed with them.

Also, heard back from Halfords and they're giving up on sending me the eBike and sending me a Cycle2Work voucher... for £2750, with accessories for £275! Wow!

Your shoes saved 5 mins? :rolleyes:

Seems unlikely unless the previous were absolutely awful?

Soldato
One of the CX series down here has cancelled which I don't get with the fact nobody knows what's going to be going on so far in advance and no costs will have to be committed until at the earliest a couple of months before. Best not be cancelled as it's the only thing I've got to look forward to, oh apparently I've got to get married this year but that's already been postponed...

To be honest, I get it. If you are an organiser sitting now wondering if you should organise something and put so much time and effort in only for it to be wasted.... then I think them letting you know now so you have some sort of solid clarity for once is a good thing.

Social distancing is going to be around for way beyond this year in some form so any sort of mass start/participation events are highly unlikely. So I think they are all as well as following suit and canceling stuff now so that all the entrants and organising people/clubs know. Rather than months of limbo and uncertainty only for it all to be announced close to the dates that nothings actually allowed to happen.

Are BC going to refund everyones memberships/race license fee's? Or are they going to thank everyone for their "continued support during difficult times" and keep all the money under the nonsense of keeping them afloat through this?

I was holding out for HC season still being alright come October and had admitted defeat in thinking I'll be TT'ing or road racing this year. But I think I am now slowly thinking I won't be competing at all outside this year which is total ****.
It's worse here than France and they are not allowing any sporting event until at least September now over there..... So it's not looking great here for anything at all this entire year at this point.

Soldato
Your shoes saved 5 mins? :rolleyes:

Seems unlikely unless the previous were absolutely awful?

Let's start with your maths. 1:04 - 1:00 is 4 minutes :p I think I missed the one that was 1:03:30 ish, so it's about 3½ minutes.

Lets move onto - I didn't claim it was all because of the shoes. I just stated the facts. First time in these shoes, lots of PR's smashed, 4 mins off this route.

It looks like I've only done this route about 14 times... which doesn't seem enough, but anyway, here are some results -

mdjJ7iW.png

Clearly some of it is just my progression and I guess I've not ridden this route as much this year (fitter and faster, oh, and faster bike) as I've found many new routes with Strava's new auto route planning. Also, I was pushing it last night.

Some of the segments I got PR's on, I've ridden 70+ times... again, yes I was pushing it and perhaps I'm currently at my best, but to get so many PR's and my fastest outdoor average speed ever (of a ride over 5 miles) will be helped by even a 2% or 3% gain in power aided by the shoes perhaps?

Soldato
New kit effect.
This is what I thought :p

Let's start with your maths. 1:04 - 1:00 is 4 minutes :p I think I missed the one that was 1:03:30 ish, so it's about 3½ minutes.
"just under an hour" suggested something like 59:xx so I rounded up to five minutes.

Unless it's an uninterrupted hour loop ridden on same day it's really hard to compare this sort of stuff. There's countless variables.

Soldato
Unlucky, plus hope the Mrs boots it into touch quick sharp.

Hopefully you got your hands on that indoor trainer in time? Zwift ahoy.

They seem quite mild compared to what some people have to be honest. She woke up coughing on Sunday morning and phoned in sick to work(care home), they arranged for a test on Tuesday and got the result Wednesday. She felt fine until today where she's coughed quite a bit and felt some pain.

I've had a weird feeling which I think is my heart, I just know my heart is there and when it beats it's with proper force. I can feel my pulse quite strong when lying in bed etc but it's more than that. Also have to cough a few times a day but no long episodes and I seem to be quite dehydrated without doing any exercise.

I'm going to be cautious with training as I did read warnings of going too hard when you have this virus and causing myocarditis. Having went quite hard for nearly 3 hours last Saturday I feel a bit silly.

She's fine, hopefully doesn't get too much worse. She's to go back to work on Monday and probably catch it again!

Someone she works with the same ages as us had a some sort of stroke or Bell's palsy which is scary.

All the smokers congregated at the one point before/during/after their shifts until a week or so ago they were told to split up.

All of this could have been avoided but between the lack of PPE and owners of homes being dumb as **** it has taken hold quite well. A nurse was saying not to worry about PPE just wash your hands, residents were allowed to wonder around the unit, staff were moved between units that had cases to ones that didn't have cases and they had to remove masks etc when working with a positive case and not use it around other residents. Result of that is getting coughed on loads by someone who wasn't tested, they come back positive and you now get to wear PPE around them but the damage is done :confused:

Sorry for the rant :o

On one hand I'm sad as I was relatively fit and keen for it but in the grand scheme of things we can race next year.

They could in theory do TTs just with remote sign on or something - it is the cycling community so they are never keen to get with the times. Increase the time gaps 2 minutes also?

Soldato
They seem quite mild compared to what some people have to be honest. She woke up coughing on Sunday morning and phoned in sick to work(care home), they arranged for a test on Tuesday and got the result Wednesday. She felt fine until today where she's coughed quite a bit and felt some pain.

I've had a weird feeling which I think is my heart, I just know my heart is there and when it beats it's with proper force. I can feel my pulse quite strong when lying in bed etc but it's more than that. Also have to cough a few times a day but no long episodes and I seem to be quite dehydrated without doing any exercise.

I'm going to be cautious with training as I did read warnings of going too hard when you have this virus and causing myocarditis. Having went quite hard for nearly 3 hours last Saturday I feel a bit silly.

That sounds like blood pressure - if you're feeling stressed you're most likely seeing a temporary upward bump in your blood pressure, also high levels of training bumps up cortisol - lots of cortisol will **** you up:

https://www.premierhealth.com/your-...re-high-levels-of-cortisol-the-stress-hormone

Cortisol is part of the reason why a lot of training programmes/coaches prescribe rest/recovery weeks once every 3, 4 or 5 weeks.

Soldato
Yeah my BP is up slightly, 137/83 47bpm.

Usuall I'm 120ish over 70ish I think.

I'll do the staying out the way thing anyway and give it a few weeks until I feel whatever I'm feeling is away to be safe.

Soldato
Shorts report! So a couple of weeks back I took advantage of Endura’s very kind offer of 50% off for NHS staff and got some of their Pro SL bibs. I think they might be the comfiest shorts I’ve ever worn. Did 90 minutes on the turbo this evening to really test them out and they’re superb. The pads in them are specific to different saddle widths, so maybe that’s why they’re so comfy?

Soldato
Shorts report! So a couple of weeks back I took advantage of Endura’s very kind offer of 50% off for NHS staff and got some of their Pro SL bibs. I think they might be the comfiest shorts I’ve ever worn. Did 90 minutes on the turbo this evening to really test them out and they’re superb. The pads in them are specific to different saddle widths, so maybe that’s why they’re so comfy?

I've used the pro sl 2 long in medium for the past year or two and will be trying out the 2020 model this weekend. Really decent bib shorts. Don't spin them in the wash btw, or just low speed.

Took a gamble on some fizik Aria R3 in the colour I wanted for £180, just hoping the size is good.

Soldato
I don't wear anything else tbh! They did me a 50% off when I attempted the 24hr zwift ride and so I bought a ******** and still wearing them. Great things!

My kid has decided he's loving zwift at the moment, been pushing some great numbers as well for a 12yr old! He's got such a ****** old decathlon bike, so I've sourced him a planet X frame which will fit him. Second hand but carbon job! Comes with stem and 380mm handlebars, so will be perfect. I found a set of SRAM red shifters here, so might just cobble together some stuff off eBay! I've got some spare Zondas that can go on it too. Will be a wicked bike when I'm done!

Soldato

I never paid attention to their saddle width stuff but I like Endura. I have a few pairs of the FS260 Pro and actually prefer them to the Pro SL though they aren't bad either. Often can find them around £55-60.

Soldato
I've gotta sell some Le Col I've had for 4 or 5 months but worn only 3 or 4 times - they're amazing quality but for some inexplicable reason they just don't suit my backside. I can't put a finger on it - the pad quality is amazing, it just doesn't seem to give me comfort that I get from other shorts. Ebay jobbie, amazing how quickly good quality used shorts shift on there - people don't give a **** about them being used so long as they look in good condition.

Soldato
I've gotta sell some Le Col I've had for 4 or 5 months but worn only 3 or 4 times - they're amazing quality but for some inexplicable reason they just don't suit my backside. I can't put a finger on it - the pad quality is amazing, it just doesn't seem to give me comfort that I get from other shorts. Ebay jobbie, amazing how quickly good quality used shorts shift on there - people don't give a **** about them being used so long as they look in good condition.

it's probably a lot easier if you dont have to look at the seller. It just arrives in a bag like a new one would....

Back
Top Bottom