Which non-X570 Mobo for 3900x

Soldato
Story for my previous PSU Corsair AX860i taken as an example: Most of the time the fan did not spin up at low load; however, after 21 months of usage, the fan developed noise whenever the fan was in the transition state of starting to spin and stopping to spin. This was particularly annoying when I was starting/stopping games or even web browsers, as I'm fussy with noise. After that, I got rid of all my PSUs with fans, and have been using only fanless PSUs since then.

Simple rules: I never trust unnecessary moving parts again, including watercooling pumps, mechanical hard drives etc. Only two moving parts are allowed: 1 fan for CPU and 1 fan for GPU.

Sorry to say this, but you are making the wrong decisions with your parts, you need to do your homework, study parts, watch reviews, and ask questions.

Although this video is really about wattage, they also talk about Corsair AX PSUs https://youtu.be/MPvj1cs77qA

I've have a superflower leadtek 1000w PSU now for about 8 years and it's still silent, my PC is on 24/7, although about 2 years ago it did start making a clicking noise on the fan, I opened it up, removed the fan, gave it all a good clean and it's been fine since, if I ever need a new PSU, I'll be buying the same again.,

Last edited:
Soldato
although about 2 years ago it did start making a clicking noise on the fan, I opened it up, removed the fan, gave it all a good clean and it's been fine since
Not sure what you are trying to tell from that video. PSU efficiency is a pretty basic concept. I used Corsair 1000w and Corsair 1200w before then downsized to that Corsair 860w.

I believe you completely missed my point. PSU fan is just an example, same as noise from RAM fans. You may enjoy trying to fix noise from fans, but I certainly have long lost that patience.

Associate
3950X on paper is not more power hungry than 2700X so I wouldn't worry. The same B450 motherboard ran fine for my 2700X without a single glitch. All the trouble just came with the unnecessary PCI-E 4.0.

Point of failure by non-standard chipset fan is far worse - it's a guaranteed ticking bomb. You'll end up having burning temperature when the fan fails without you noticing crippled performance until you smell something funny :)

I would never tolerate more than two moving parts in any of my rig (e.g. one fan for CPU and one fan for GPU and everything else fanless), especially those poor non-standard fans.

I do agree with you that the 3950x will be fine in a high quality B450 motherboard. It's an efficient chip & will be fine in ANY high-quality compatable board.
But I completely disagree with you on considering x570s active cooling fan some kind of crippling potential failure point.
My 3950x is on an Asus x570 prime-p : the lowest-end board they do. The active cooler is 50% covered by a founder's edition 1080ti. I'm a CG artist & regularly render for many hours with either GPU at 100% or CPU. I have 1 NVE drive - my main OS drive. After hours of rendering nothing goes anywhere near out-of-spec - not the board VRMs, not the GPU, not the CPU, not the storage drives, not the PSU, nothing. None of them get even anywhere near concerning temps even though the ambient temp in the UK this weekend is quite high.
TLDR: People saying don't go x570 because of chipset fan are silly & wrong. People saying you have to go x570 for high-end chips are also silly & wrong - you just need a high-quality board of whatever chipset.

Soldato
The thing is, I'd rather have x570 than 450 or 470 range and maybe even the 600 series too, the chipset on x570 is made by AMD / GloFlo, it's the only one so far and comes with loads of features, unlike previous am4 platforms that were outsourced to companies like asmedia, the 600 series chipset is also going to be outsourced, it may not be as loaded as x570.

The fans on X570 are guaranteed to run for 60,000 hours, which is 6.7 years 24/7, the fans are not on all the time, so in real world, its probably closer to 10 years, most people upgrade anyway every few years, but already there are 3rd party solutions coming though.

"X570 motherboards adopt a high quality ball bearing fan which guarantees 60,000* working hours. * MTBF, A standard measurement that continuously operates under certain criteria with 90 % of confidence level. 6.8 years at 24 hours /day. 6.8 years at 24 hours /day."

Last edited:
Associate
Maybe you've had better experience than I had with fans. All the best wishes :)
Fair enough. With working from home, I' going to be rinsing it on a daily basis, so I'm certainly first in line to find the failure points. That said, my work doesn't depend too much on rapid I/O like a compsitor would & my Storage drives aren't likely to be the fastest. I'd heard some suggestions that the chipset fans were mostly for high-speed NMVe drives.
Anyway, I promise to update if the whole thing blows up :)

Soldato
Fair enough. With working from home, I' going to be rinsing it on a daily basis, so I'm certainly first in line to find the failure points. That said, my work doesn't depend too much on rapid I/O like a compsitor would & my Storage drives aren't likely to be the fastest. I'd heard some suggestions that the chipset fans were mostly for high-speed NMVe drives.
Anyway, I promise to update if the whole thing blows up :)

And that is only if the fan is running. Mine doesnt seem to turn on other than at POST. Then it turns off.

Plus its a fan with a heatsink. Super easy to mod if ever needed.

Back
Top Bottom