How does this look for a small gaming build?

Associate
Hello,

First time building in a while - last time was a decade ago. I've never built a micro or mini-itx either.

Looking to build a compact system that I can move from office to living room as required. Use will be gaming, media centre and some light video editing.

How does the below look please? Will that GPU fit either case?

ALso, I've not added a separate sound card, but what would I need to add to output 5.1 sound via optical or HDMI to a receiver?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L12S 55.44 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
  • Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
  • Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition Video Card
  • Case: Silverstone SG13B Computer Case with Mesh Front Panel – Black / or
    • CS01B (undecided!)
  • Fan: Noctua NF-F12 High Performance Cooling Fan
  • Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX

Associate
The case specs should mention GPU clearance - just need to check the one you pick doesn't exceed that length. Components look good - I think I have read blower cards can be better in terms of thermals for small form factor systems as they exhaust out the case

Associate
OP
Thank you for the input. Will look at blower versions of the card. Any thoughts on which case is better? Or what sound card would offer 5.1 and work for a smaller case?

The MSI B450I says 7.1 output but I don't see any optical output on it.

Associate
OP
Thanks - good spot!
I think I'm leaning more towards the SG13.

So I could trade out that CPU cooler for Alpenföhn the Black Ridge CPU cooler https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-black-ridge-low-profile-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-05g-al.html

and based on bagel's comments on a blower making more sense for a small case, swap in this card ASUS Turbo GeForce RTXTM 2070 Super Blower EVO https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...d1y2N9Wlui9EaB6pbZYsaAgvnEALw_wcB#description

Card comes in at 268mm, so only just under the 270mm limit.

And then it'd be looking better I think?

Associate
Looking into it a little more, it seems whether or not a blower is better depends on the case you're building in - some may actually be better suited to open air.

For optical out maybe your best bet would be a mobo with it built in as below. You could get an external sound card but not an internal as mini itx only has one pcie slot

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £130.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Thanks bagel - blower does look to be the way to go for the SG13.

Ok understood on the sound card. That mobo seems to have good reviews too so will go with that. Looking at the Silverstone website, they're recommending some parts to go with the case, so think I may as well try and go with the suggestion for PSU. Tweaked build:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,292.09 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Back
Top Bottom