Sold Nokia 3 without resetting Google account

Associate
I'm a complete novice with mobile phones, I sold my old Nokia 3 on ebay after doing a factory reset to erase my data, I thought that was enough. The buyer has got back to me saying they can't use the phone because it's asking for original linked google account and password. Done a quick bit of googling and they are right. Is there an easy way around this without giving them a refund ? Maybe I could give them the original google password and change it on mine so they can't access my account, or any other way ?

Soldato
You'd be putting a lot of trust in the buyer if you went down that route. The safest way to do it is to have the phone returned, you sign out yourself and return to the buyer. Given the timescale involved in this it's unlikely the buyer would go for it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply, they went over the ebay 30 Money back guarantee so can't return it if I refuse, but I aren't that sort of person, it was my fault in first place but they should have tried it sooner I would like to get it working for them with the least hassle and cost.

On second thoughts that might be the best way, let them send it back and me reset the account and return it.

Soldato
Can this not be removed via your Google account through a web browser on your computer? I seem to remember seeing something about this a while ago but my memory might have been scrambled slightly.

Soldato
I'm a complete novice with mobile phones, I sold my old Nokia 3 on ebay after doing a factory reset to erase my data, I thought that was enough. The buyer has got back to me saying they can't use the phone because it's asking for original linked google account and password. Done a quick bit of googling and they are right. Is there an easy way around this without giving them a refund ? Maybe I could give them the original google password and change it on mine so they can't access my account, or any other way ?

Just log in to https://www.google.com/android/find?u=0 and choose secure erase or get them to do a factory reset from recovery https://www.hardreset.info/devices/nokia/nokia-3-ta-1032/

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, I went to my google account and it didn't give me the option to remove as shown in link by joey1211, it gave me option to sign out on that account, whether thats enough don't know, will let the buyer know and see if it works now.

Associate
OP
There is no easy way around so they sent the phone back. There are some video's on YT of how to bypass the Google Acount but it's a bit long winded and probably beyond the average non tech savvy person. I have removed the Google account and just to make sure there are no more problems regarding locked networks, I have tried a PAYG SIM in the phone from EE and Vodaphone and am able to recieve texts and calls without topping up, does that mean 100% that the phone is unlocked ? was originally a Virgin Contract. I was under the impression that Virgin contract phones were all unlocked, but just want to be 100% sure before I return the phone in view of the mess up already.

Back
Top Bottom