Show Us Your Motors!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
And replaced it with this as the new family wagon:

49833814316_67d1e43a54_b.jpg
Good choice, I have a B9 A4 Avant and love it. The S4 is a lovely machine and I think the B9 looks better than the facelift version. I'm still hovering over the order button to add a tune to my A4 to bring it up to 330ps.

Haven't posted pics of mine in a while.

7WWTl8ph.jpg

KF9dpeBh.jpg

JkSFh7Ah.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there

So I probably purchased S2000 at worse time possible and best time possible, just before lockdown, so worse as I am sure I could rebuy it now for £1000 less, but best time because during this lockdown and glorious weather, driving, restoring and modding this has kept me really entertained over last month and still plenty to do, but am happy with how clean it is looking after machine polishing, undersealing etc.

s2k1.jpg s2k2.jpg s2k3.jpg s2k4.jpeg

As per all the cars I own I like to restore them to as near new condition as I can so I can experience how good the car was when it left factory and of course its not the fastest car, far from it but it is such an entertaining car to drive.
Goes for an alignment / bush check tomorrow so then I can replace bushes/bolts as required to dial in alignment, once lockdown is eased got another set of AP2V1 wheels going for a full diamond cut refurb and will then fit a set of PS4 or F1AS5's all round, then am considering some Ohlins DFV coilovers for the car and shall drop 15-20mm.

Feel it is getting there and certainly is now looking spotless for its ages, it did have a few dents but local dent guy came out and repaired them all for £50 on the drive last week so body work is pretty much spotless now. :)

Glorious looking machine that. Can't believe you got the dents out for that cheap, how bad were they? Was the finish decent?

Yeah, all it needs is a little drop and it'll be a stunner. Fair play Gibbo.

OcUK Staff
Glorious looking machine that. Can't believe you got the dents out for that cheap, how bad were they? Was the finish decent?

Yeah, all it needs is a little drop and it'll be a stunner. Fair play Gibbo.

Well he lives in same village as us, there was a dent in each door and a crease in one door, we did not spot the crease until I moved the to second drive and had it on axle stands, so messaged him on FB and he came following morning and removed the crease for free on the basis that the picture of the 458 on his FB got him 23 new enquiries so guess it was like a thank you. But still £50 for two dents was a bargain, no marks were left in the paint and he had them all done within an hour as no trim was removed.

Yep just shopping around for best deal on a set of Ohlins DFV at moment, down to £1700 so far, seeing if I can get better but pretty much decided on those and then a 15-20mm drop.

Soldato
Well he lives in same village as us, there was a dent in each door and a crease in one door, we did not spot the crease until I moved the to second drive and had it on axle stands, so messaged him on FB and he came following morning and removed the crease for free on the basis that the picture of the 458 on his FB got him 23 new enquiries so guess it was like a thank you. But still £50 for two dents was a bargain, no marks were left in the paint and he had them all done within an hour as no trim was removed.

Yep just shopping around for best deal on a set of Ohlins DFV at moment, down to £1700 so far, seeing if I can get better but pretty much decided on those and then a 15-20mm drop.
I rate my ohlins, not sure what else I'd swap them for, not that there's any need.

gold shinning under the car is #pron

OcUK Staff
I rate my ohlins, not sure what else I'd swap them for, not that there's any need.

gold shinning under the car is #pron

Well I want something that is in par with factory for ride quality or better, but I don't mind a little firmer if the damping is better. It is quite an expense but same time they also hold resale value better than other brands. Very rarely ever see them for sale second hand.

Soldato
Well I want something that is in par with factory for ride quality or better, but I don't mind a little firmer if the damping is better. It is quite an expense but same time they also hold resale value better than other brands. Very rarely ever see them for sale second hand.
yeah easy sell if you decide to take the mods of the car.

my idea is if I do ever get to selling it, I'll try it as is with modifications.

if it doesn't sell for a month or so I'll get it back to standard(Got all the parts bar the wheels) and sell it standard.

OcUK Staff
yeah easy sell if you decide to take the mods of the car.

my idea is if I do ever get to selling it, I'll try it as is with modifications.

if it doesn't sell for a month or so I'll get it back to standard(Got all the parts bar the wheels) and sell it standard.

I am keeping all original parts, coilovers are a doddle to fit and remove on these cars, it is literally three bolts, though helps if you remove front upper arms. So if I ever sell I'd rather sell as close to original as possible as I feel listed at 13-14k with good history is more likely to sell than say listed at 16k with mods. They are such easy cars to work on (when not seized) they are quite a joy as the car just seems so well designed to be worked on, everything is so easy to access.

Soldato
Good choice, I have a B9 A4 Avant and love it. The S4 is a lovely machine and I think the B9 looks better than the facelift version. I'm still hovering over the order button to add a tune to my A4 to bring it up to 330ps.

Haven't posted pics of mine in a while.

7WWTl8ph.jpg

KF9dpeBh.jpg

JkSFh7Ah.jpg

I was looking for something bigger with more toys than the R32 that still had a V6 (VR6) and 4WD. The C43 felt a little bit too aggressive for me so opted for the S4 instead and yeah, really glad I did as it is a great car.

My only dislike so far is that the exhaust note is a bit meh, especially low down in the revs it just drones....but then it is up against stiff competition! Say what you will about the R32, but it’s exhaust note was epic all through the rev range. Then the 65 Mustangs got that classic flowmaster V8 burble which is hard not to fall in love with.

Man of Honour
I was looking for something bigger with more toys than the R32 that still had a V6 (VR6) and 4WD.

I'm struggling though I am looking more mid-size SUV - was a big VR6 fan and like my current V6 for all it's a truck. But stuff like the VW Touareg just leave me dead.

Soldato
I'm struggling though I am looking more mid-size SUV - was a big VR6 fan and like my current V6 for all it's a truck. But stuff like the VW Touareg just leave me dead.

I know what you mean! When I was looking around, there was very little VW that was even mildly interesting. Wanting a petrol V6/VR6 limits choices massively, and even if you accept a diesel V6 that doesn't really open up the choices too much. Clearly evident that the larger displacements engines are on the decline in favour of turbo'd 3/4-cylinders, PHEV's and full electric.

Having said that, have you considered an Audi Q7?

Man of Honour
I'm curious as to why you'd expect to find lots of interesting engine choices in mid size SUVs. It's about as generic and uninteresting a car as you can possibly buy, which is why there are 8 billion Nissan Qashqai for every 1 Audi RSQ5.

Just buy a good estate car if you want to enjoy driving it.

Associate
T6 transporter 4motion which is a works van and a focus st250 running about 330bhp :)

I can’t take pics of the van as it’s sign written and it would be a dead give away who I work for but I’ll post pics of the focus when it’s back on the road

Soldato
Soldato
I'm curious as to why you'd expect to find lots of interesting engine choices in mid size SUVs. It's about as generic and uninteresting a car as you can possibly buy, which is why there are 8 billion Nissan Qashqai for every 1 Audi RSQ5.

There's probably about 8 billion E220d to E63/S as well :p

Man of Honour

I'd be curious as to why anyone would expect to find lots of interesting engine choices in mid size SUVs as well - wasn't what I said - even just finding something at all mildly interesting is a struggle - the Touareg on paper could be but so far I've just not clicked with it.

Estate car doesn't work for me.

I know what you mean! When I was looking around, there was very little VW that was even mildly interesting. Wanting a petrol V6/VR6 limits choices massively, and even if you accept a diesel V6 that doesn't really open up the choices too much. Clearly evident that the larger displacements engines are on the decline in favour of turbo'd 3/4-cylinders, PHEV's and full electric.

Having said that, have you considered an Audi Q7?

I'd take a diesel V6 as a second choice possibly - I'm mostly driving a Nissan Navara with a 3L V6 diesel at the moment anyhow but that is backed with 550nm torque and a decent power delivery through the range which makes it at least somewhat interesting to drive - there is a very similar configuration for the Touareg but it just isn't the same and I'm not feeling it at all. (Though there is a touch of turbo lag sometimes the Navara feels responsive to me while for want of a better way to put it the Touareg feels too much like it is "thinking about it" in response).

Haven't given the Q7 any thought at all - I've never really rushed to Audis.

Man of Honour
It is effectively what a mid size SUV is though. So how doesn't it work? It has largely the same if not more load space on a similar footprint. It's also much easier to find a more interesting engine setup.

I dislike being lower down when driving generally. Not really sure why but it is something I've never been comfortable with and since driving a pickup even harder to go back to.

Soldato
It is effectively what a mid size SUV is though. So how doesn't it work? It has largely the same if not more load space on a similar footprint. It's also much easier to find a more interesting engine setup.

It works for a lot of people who want (1) a higher driving position, (2) easier access, etc. Also it's not the same footprint at all. Estate cars can be overly long for manoeuvring in car parks and the like, and can be physically longer than parking spaces sometimes.

While I personally prefer saloons/hatches/estates, but suggesting that they are the same as crossovers, and that an estate works in all situations is simply not correct.

Back
Top Bottom