Gamers, What's Your Audio Set Up?

Associate
It's a dual purpose 3.5mm connection that is selectable between 'line out' and 'optical out'. There is another for 'line in' and 'optical in'. For those who want to use optical, they'd use a mini toslink cable. Some sounds cards have same connection, such as Xonar D1/X.
Got it - thanks Marsman :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Having had Xonar STX, SoundBlaster Extreme and various other gaming/pc entertainment geared cards and then analogue standalone amps with floorstanders over the years, my experience has been that I got the most enjoyment and the purest sound once I went with a stereo solid state amp with bookshelf speakers for music, media and gaming.

I have, and will forever continue to have (until they die):
Amp: NAD D 7050
Speakers: KEF Q300
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650

Associate
Yamaha RX-V373 fed via optical from onboard soundcard (I was using HDMI from the 5700 XT but as it detects 2 screens it would not ramp down the card when idle). Speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 220's. Headphones: AKG 712 Pro with a ModMic 4 with the mic using a cheap USB card, JVC HA-RX900 (modded) closedback. No filters, surround processing or anything added on for gaming. Sounds great to me in games and for music/movies.

The AVR was surplus after going Atmos on my home theatre.

Soldato
I do play some games but I've never really focused much on gaming audio so no multi channel or anything like that. Just pair of Pro X7s on my desk, an SMSL A2 driving them, and a sealed 10" subwoofer to back them up, the main source being my PC using an xonar d2 which is pretty old now but still very capable. I also have a pair of HD650's :)

Caporegime
Creative X7 to AKG Q701

That's my day to day gaming setup with a nano yeti premium mic on a boom arm.

I also for gaming use my hd700 when I can be bothered getting them out the box.

I also have hd600 for music use and dt770 if someone else is in the room

I recently bought a Sound Blaster card, not had one for years. It's the Zx model. I have paired this with some new speakers. They are Logitech Z906.

The sound quality is very good indeed. I dare not turn it up to full volume, I can manage about half when things start shaking.

It can be a bit buggy though. Sometimes sound channels will shift, ie centre sound might start coming for rear right. Switching to headphones and then back again resolves it. It is using both DTS and Dolby Digital.

Soldato
Schiit Fulla 2 > Hifiman HE4xx
SMSL SA-50 > Dali Spektor 1

I'm tempted to add the Beyerdynamic DT177x GO, all the reviews for them are glowing and it would be nice to have a choice between open and closed back.

Soldato
Schiit Magni 2U, Modi 2U (using toslink) and Loki. Sennheiser HD660S and an Antlion Modmic 5.

It's obviously more geared for music, but it's great in gaming.

Associate
Yamaha RX-V373 fed via optical from onboard soundcard (I was using HDMI from the 5700 XT but as it detects 2 screens it would not ramp down the card when idle). Speakers are Wharfedale Diamond 220's. Headphones: AKG 712 Pro with a ModMic 4 with the mic using a cheap USB card, JVC HA-RX900 (modded) closedback. No filters, surround processing or anything added on for gaming. Sounds great to me in games and for music/movies.

The AVR was surplus after going Atmos on my home theatre.

Heh I'm using the same amp (also after upgrading the AV amp in the living room), the same speakers and switched from HDMI to optical for the same reason :D Being a child of the seventies I felt it right to go quadraphonic though and also have two rear speakers (they were lying around, it seemed a shame not to put them to some use). I'm using an Asus Xonar u7 external soundcard with a pair of Philips fidelio X2 for listening to music. For online gaming (when I'm on discord and people are usually swearing at me) I recently got myself a HyperX Cloud Orbit headset after discovering they were rebadged Audeze Mobius (minus the wireless bit) - I've been wanting to try out some magnetic planar headphones for ages and this seemed the cheapest way to do it at a little over £200.

Soldato
Now have had that B-stock Sound BlasterX G6 couple days.
While box has few scuff marks, sound card itself is like it came out from factory.

Certainly one of my better buys with that price.
After doing configuration control software could be closed and even has option for choosing does it start automatically with Windows or not.
Also excess lights on top and behind volume dial can be configured to be off.
And headphone output sure has beef.
At low gain 8-10% gives plenty of volume with 250 ohm DT990 Beyers.

Soldato
How would you rate the 4xx? Have heard they can sound good, but mixed qc/comfort

Quality control has been good on mine, they feel solid and robust. I've owned them for a couple of years now and the pads are the thing that looks most tatty, they're just starting to get a bit loose and the foam is starting to show a bit. I think the HE4xx are hard to beat for the money, my only criticism about the sound would be that they're a bit light on the low end.

Soldato
Today i had the JDS Atom Amp delivered and would like to get it connected up while waiting for the JDS OL Dac to arrive.

Can i go Line out from my pc to the 3.5mm IN on the Atom AMP and then use my AKG K702 headphones into the AMP as usual?

Back
Top Bottom