• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Seems like i figured out why my Vega was crashing, when i put on the new VRM pad i accidentally left the plastic on the side contacting the vrm's :o

Taken off now and seems to be running much better, can't believe i done that. :o:o

:) well just glad you figured it out. Even the best of us has done some silly mistakes so don't sweat it, let your card do that :D

Soldato
Just looking at the plastic strip, it was making some good contact with the components at least, indentations all the way up it. :p
A+ for the mounting :) that's what I call a job well done. Not your fault that the plastic was poorly at transferring heat, that is a manufacturing defect for sure!

Enough though, just glad you figured it out. I certainly done some silly stuff like frying one of my PCIe power plugs because I didn't read up on the maximum wattage a 8 pin to 2x8pin could support, while also running an overclocked Vega 64 on it.

Caporegime
A+ for the mounting :) that's what I call a job well done. Not your fault that the plastic was poorly at transferring heat, that is a manufacturing defect for sure!

Enough though, just glad you figured it out. I certainly done some silly stuff like frying one of my PCIe power plugs because I didn't read up on the maximum wattage a 8 pin to 2x8pin could support, while also running an overclocked Vega 64 on it.

It was a replacement thermal pad as the one asus supply barely covers the components properly. Took the old one off and put the new one on, was redoing the paste as well so got sidetracked with that and forgot to peel the other side of the plastic off. :D Its an issue with the strix 64 that they sold a good lot of them with a thermal pad along some components that only covers some of them, think it was resolved in later batches.

Associate
I just bought one of the B grade Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64s, and I was having an issue where the fans didn't seem to be working (on TRIXX they were failing the fan health check). I turned on fan tuning in the radeon software and it 'kicked' into working so that now they all show as working in TRIXX.

I've now found the issue is that the fan closest to the front of the PC case is constantly spinning at max RPM while the others can go to 0 as they should. Anyone know of anything I can do to fix this?

Edit: I fixed this by disconnecting the 2 outside fans then swapping them around.

Last edited:
Associate
Seems my vega is struggling with 100fps at 2560 x 1440 in cod warzone etc, guess im due a upgrade suupose it was a steal of a price 2 years ago lol

Caporegime
Anyone have any odd issues with wattman and undervolting? I can run games at 4k etc fine, though sometimes i'll be in windows using chrome or youtube, the screen black out for 5 secs, comes back on and when i open the control panel all voltages are back to defaults. Should be noted it normally takes 2 attempts to open the control panel as the first attempt appears to crash after it black screens. :confused:

Soldato
Picked up a B grade Gigabye Vega 64 8G OC for my birthday which has arrived, but I'm having no joy with it, constantly crashing in games and even just doing nothing, trying to decide if it's the card or my PC.

Screen goes black, can hear audio, have to hard reset.

Screen freezes, can't do anything, eventually goes black and have to hard reset.

Updated BIOS, ran Furmark, BSOD and automatically restarts.

i5 3570k @ 4.4
Asus P8Z68-LX
16gb Crucial Ballistix
OCZ ZS Bronze 80+ 750w

I've tried 20.2.2 and 20.4.2, no difference.
I've removed the OC on my i5, no difference.
Temps never go above 75 on the card so it's not overheating.

Is my PC too old? PSU too crap? FWIW the gtx 970 it replaced never skipped a beat.

Soldato
Picked up a B grade Gigabye Vega 64 8G OC for my birthday which has arrived, but I'm having no joy with it, constantly crashing in games and even just doing nothing, trying to decide if it's the card or my PC.

It's the card for sure. Should do research before a purchase, this card is garbo.

Associate
Yep warzone on my 56 is same, was wondering what setting to target to stay above 60.
yup i have my vega 64 underclocked after a few hours my drivers crash but only when playing warzone pretty sad ( it is a sapphire nitro+ also )

anything from 80 to 140fps with freesync on and its just not very good experience my screen i set to 1080p but it just seems all washed out when like that dont get me wrong its playable but you can notice the frames going up and down crazy

5700xt would be a short term upgrade i guess but ill try hold out a few more months i want to start streaming so the vega would go in my 2nd pc

Associate
Anyone have any odd issues with wattman and undervolting? I can run games at 4k etc fine, though sometimes i'll be in windows using chrome or youtube, the screen black out for 5 secs, comes back on and when i open the control panel all voltages are back to defaults. Should be noted it normally takes 2 attempts to open the control panel as the first attempt appears to crash after it black screens. :confused:
i get this only after a few hours on warzone normally nothing else

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
anything from 80 to 140fps with freesync on and its just not very good experience my screen i set to 1080p but it just seems all washed out when like that dont get me wrong its playable but you can notice the frames going up and down crazy

5700xt would be a short term upgrade i guess but ill try hold out a few more months i want to start streaming so the vega would go in my 2nd pc

What monitor you got?

Could be because its dx12 only? Not looked into this but as they pump out updates all the time its hard to follow up on any driver improvements from AMD until it settles.

I wouldnt get a 5700 and def wait for the new stuff released around big navi.

Associate
Seems my vega is struggling with 100fps at 2560 x 1440 in cod warzone etc, guess im due a upgrade suupose it was a steal of a price 2 years ago lol

I paid £249.99 for my 64 Nitro+ I think for 4k @60FPS is excellent value?

Maybe I am a lazy couch gamer, I don't have an ultra-speedy PC monitor, 60FPS is good enough for me :D I got the game free with my 5700XT so gets played on this GPU.

The ONLY issue I have is coil wine, it's a strange noise ha!

https://imgur.com/a/xALa3PV

Caporegime
Just tried that radeon image sharpening, made quite the difference. For some reason i could never spot the difference in screens but in game its pretty apparent. Gives things a sort of real gritty look. Does seem to hit performance a bit in battlefield v since it only worts in dx12 for that game.

Back
Top Bottom