Anyone use a magnetic car phone holder?

Soldato
Been looking at these on the rainforest and wondering if anyone here has any experience with them? Obviously my main concern is how securely the phone is held in place but also whether or not it's possible to still use a case on the phone without it looking like it doesn't fit with the metal thing under it.

Thanks

Soldato
I bought something from Halfrauds the other day. 1 side connects to my air vents albeit badly and then a 3m sticky side stuck on my phone rear. Connects the 2 together however I don't use a case so it's pretty strong. I wish I had a better HU though as sticking a power cable and 3.5mm aux cable every day does grate a bit.

Associate
I use one a fairly cheap one off Amazon paired with a case with built in magnet spot on the back I got off aliexpress (for oneplus 6).

Had it since about 2 months after the one plus 6 launched and never had an issue. Only other thing I'd say with it based on when I got one for my last phone was check how strong the magnet is with the case, I ended up putting it on the outside of the case to ensure it was strong since I had doubts it would hold during bumpy times inside the case.

Soldato
I use one a fairly cheap one off Amazon paired with a case with built in magnet spot on the back I got off aliexpress (for oneplus 6).

Had it since about 2 months after the one plus 6 launched and never had an issue. Only other thing I'd say with it based on when I got one for my last phone was check how strong the magnet is with the case, I ended up putting it on the outside of the case to ensure it was strong since I had doubts it would hold during bumpy times inside the case.

Is that the carbon effect case, I think it's by Nilkin, I bought the same on from Amazon before realising it was cheaper on AliExpress.

Use mine with a mpow magnetic holder and there is no danger of the phone falling off.

I wish there were more thin cases with built in metal plates.

Soldato
... coinicdentally showing these on hotuk this morning ?....

but no - I thought camera mechanism may have some metallic parts .. hence would never use one.

even though mangetic field is a square law - no ?
edit: not forgetting the neodyium/cobalt magnets in the speakers

edit2 qed:
This is something that Apple considers in case and accessory design. In Apple’s Case Design Guidelines, there are sections on Sensor Considerations and Magnetic Interference, including the line, “Apple recommends avoiding the use of magnets and metal components in cases.”

Manufacturers have to ensure that the built-in magnetic compass is not affected by their cases. There’s also specific mention of the iPhone 6 Plus, because of potential problems magnets can cause for the autofocus rear camera with optical image stabilization.

Last edited:
Associate
I like how you call it "halfrauds" but you shop there . Have the Mpow one myself, adhesive with the pad isn't brilliant so I use the vent holder, holds quite securely I've found.

Associate
Is that the carbon effect case, I think it's by Nilkin, I bought the same on from Amazon before realising it was cheaper on AliExpress.

Use mine with a mpow magnetic holder and there is no danger of the phone falling off.

I wish there were more thin cases with built in metal plates.

It's not branded, it's just a slimline black rubber case with the plate and a ring on the back, but does the trick. Thought if I were doing it again I'd probably grab that case, it does look mint compared to mine.

Soldato
I use the anker air vent one, £8 on amazoon, comes with a couple of flat metal plates that you stick on the inside of your phone case, works a treat.

Soldato
I use the Yosh air vent one in my car and a stick on Wuteku in the wife's Tiguan as it doesn't have suitable vents. Both had great reviews and were cheap enough from Amazon.

The very thin metal plates are virtually unnoticeable inside a case. On my beat up M9 I stuck it to the back of the phone itself as I use a flip case which would be no good in a car. On the wife's I simply slipped it between the phone and gel case, not sticking it to either, and it's been fine.

Brodit offer some very good solutions tailored to specific cars if you don't mind spending the cash, but cheapy universals are good enough for me.

Soldato
Phone position - From a reception perspective is its best to mount the phone above the dash, as opposed to air vents, although sun reflections maybe worse. ?

I don't have a car with an inbuilt sim/aerial,
so am currently trying to find a new phone that will best deal with the poor rural 2g/3/g/4g reception areas I often drive through.

Soldato
Had this one for a year or so now and has been absolutely fantastic.

Old thread I know. I need a new car phone mount. I'd buy a gravity one but you can't do landscape.

I have a vinyl book/wallet type case on my Samsung S7 Edge. Do you think the Yosh disc would fit under it and also stick to the magnet with enough strength ? Maybe I could put the disc on the case instead?

Edit: scratch that. I don't think magnetic will work for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks SGF. I've got this in the basket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YOSH-Unive...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Decided to stick to a traditional holder. Had similar in my previous car but this one is much better and nicer looking. My old one had two crappy spring loaded vent clips which hook around the fin of the vent that eventually I couldn't remove. This Yosh one has a single vent holder and seems to have a push down locking lever.

Back
Top Bottom