Using a stereo amp for movies

Man of Honour
The Beam and the TX-L20D are a country mile apart in terms of what they'll do. Of course the Onkyo is going to take a little longer to set up and get right for you. That's the point. For. You. But once you have done it in the way that works for you, then the Onkyo should respond to TV volume commands and accept sound routed via the TV.

I'm not sure exactly what what you mean by "how do I change my other devices ? Apple TV being one of them" Are you talking about enabling HDMI CEC or switching to the sources? The answer for either is in the manuals for the products. Go online and seek advice on the Apple product. Read the Onkyo manual for TX-L20D-related issues.

Soldato
It would be useful if TV act as a hdmi switch on standby mode.

Another option could be use a dedicated hdmi switch but I guess with hdmi issues need a hdmi matrixed or one with dual hdmi out. But issues with hdcp probably don't allow this.

That's hey I preferred old school component and coaxial audio, one is seperate to the other , to get no audio drop out if TV is off, etc

Soldato
OP
Odd....... I had all the settings suggest on before.. turned it all off and back on and all my devices work. Well tv via by box and 4K do . As do builtin tv apps.

nit tried Apple TV or Xbox yet as I need more plug sockets lol.

Man of Honour
It would be useful if TV act as a hdmi switch on standby mode.

Another option could be use a dedicated hdmi switch but I guess with hdmi issues need a hdmi matrixed or one with dual hdmi out. But issues with hdcp probably don't allow this.

That's hey I preferred old school component and coaxial audio, one is seperate to the other , to get no audio drop out if TV is off, etc

Why this incessant need to make things complicated? HDMI switch... Matrix switches... Oh my.

There's nothing to stop @TALON1973 running parallel connections if required e.g. HDMI and Optical. ut in all honesty, once HDMI CEC is enabled correctly then it really shouldn't be needed.

Any device using a graphical interface for operation will need the TV on anyway. Those with audio-only functionality should either be so simple as to be controlled via their own remote or via an app. In either event, a HDMI switch isn't really required, and a HDMI matrix is entirely OTT.

Man of Honour
Odd....... I had all the settings suggest on before.. turned it all off and back on and all my devices work. Well tv via by box and 4K do . As do builtin tv apps.

nit tried Apple TV or Xbox yet as I need more plug sockets lol.

A reboot will often refresh the handshakes between gear.

Man of Honour
I used the arc from the device and the remote .. tbh the apps a total mess
The HDMI handshakes are nothing to do with any apps on the TV or apps on any other device. That's not what HDMI Control/CEC is about.

CEC is about one device controlling some features of another device by using the HDMI cable between them as a way to send those control signals. For example, you switch on the BD player and the TV comes on and goes to the correct input.

In order for this to work correctly, the communication needs to be established between devices. It should do this when a cable is connected (hot swap) or after coming out of standby. Sometimes though, the "hello world" greeting only happens correctly after all the devices are rebooted the first time after changing some wiring or HDMI CEC settings.

That's what you have done.
That's why it didn't work at first but does now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well.... It's working..... But it might be a millisecond. But I'm conscious of the sound is front of the tv. Weather its the fact I've got to get used to a new device I'm unsure.

Bass is another matter. I can't crank it up as I have a wood floor and live at home. Can't go to far from the basic low setting without it affecting how I can frank the volume up.

Ah the joys of working out a new system

Soldato
for hdmi handshaking , I'd found the sequence you power things up can often be important ... always had to turn on a (retired)Sharp tv before the humax t2 pvr, I still use,
otherwise the tv would never 'see' the pvr

Have you decided on some bass/lfe movie test pieces ? on the back of this thread had clocked the avforums
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...-list-bass-movies-w-frequency-charts-592.html
..... u-571 seems to be recommended, 10000bc mentioned too

Soldato
what sources do you see the loss of sync with ?
all of them internal freeview tuner, and 4k player etc. or, is just the sound delay on one source is always wrong, so can't you adjust that ?

(if you are now buying, again, from Amazon, or even RS, how will you avoid needing another potential future return too)

Soldato
OP
what sources do you see the loss of sync with ?
all of them internal freeview tuner, and 4k player etc. or, is just the sound delay on one source is always wrong, so can't you adjust that ?

(if you are now buying, again, from Amazon, or even RS, how will you avoid needing another potential future return too)

It was on everything.. It was out when I first installed it... fixed itself ... and then went out again... I’m not faffing about on settings to get it right.. it should either work or not.

Soldato
My set top box , pvr -> tv ->sb experience is that lip-sync problems are unavoidable and, if you are taking sound from one device and picture from another,
(with unknown latency), you have to use the controls on one of the boxes to adjust.
its not like there is a master reference clock all devices have access too, to sync them for displaying sound and audio. ...?

Soldato
OP
...... I would have stuck with the sonos lol....

OK picked up a denon rcd m41dab without speakers. For £160

Has a sub preout and 2 optical inputs.

The sub seems to be getting voices out of it ... Now I remember having this back in the very early days of my entire in subs.

Also... It's way to loud when using the sub.. I practically have to turn the sub off.

I like the unit tho so will keep for future projects. Might looked the new Sony Soundbar with dolby atmos... Or still get the marantz av amp.

You live and learn lol.... I hope

Back
Top Bottom