Has anyone had a Bitfenix PSU fail?

Soldato
Hi.

I have a Bitfenix Formula 650W that is about two years old. It has been very lightly used in that time and at the moment it is powering only an Athlon x4 845, r7 260x and a few hard drives.

About a month ago my PC started to shut down randomly for no reason. A few times it was when It was loading quake champions and another few times it was when I was browsing the web. I uninstalled QC and Bethesda Launcher and it seemed fine after that but tonight it has just shutdown when I was playing PUGB Lite (I had some good guns too pah).

I've been checking my temps when gaming and it is all running cool so it is not a thermal shutdown of the CPU.

So I'm just reaching out to see if anyone else has had any issues with Bitfenix as they are a pretty small fry sales-wise when it comes to PSU's and there is not much info on the web when I search for my PSU model and any associated issues with it.

Soldato
Even very expensive stuff can fail very spectacularly.
But would suspect that no doubt old motherboard more than PSU.
For start failing PSU would be most likely to cause shut downs during heavy load and not randomly.

Soldato
OP
Nice vid dude.

I don't think it's the mobo - it's Biostar quality man! hehe.

On a serious note I have a feeling it is something either to do with a windows update (I had an update kb4541335 the day before this started happening) or it's something to do with AMD Radeon Adrenaline drivers.

The thing is I dual boot with Linux and I have never had a crash with Linux at all and I use that at least 70% of the time.

I've updated windows so I'll see how it goes from here.

Man of Honour
Bitfenix may be fairly small as a company but like most other brands they do not build their own psu's. They use CWT as the oem for the Bitfenix Formula series and CWT are one of the biggest oem's of psu's in the world. Quality varies across platforms but the Bitfenix units are generally very good psu's. Your pc components will only be very lightly loading the psu so it's not a capacity issue. If everything works in Linux then it's more than likely a dodgy Windows update that's causing this especially as you had a update the day before it all started.

Soldato
OP
When I bought the Bitfenix I knew it was a decent buy and if it did turn out to be the PSU I would be surprised.

I'm hoping it's windows but I've never had an issue where the OS just shuts down in a split second in all my years using it. The evidence points to it being Windows and I just hope it is - there is nothing worse that an unknown hardware issue when you have a PC full of 2nd hand parts hehe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom