LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Folks... people who own this panel, can I confirm do you see a "vignette" effect at the top and bottom, ie getting darker at top and bottom, especially against brighter backgrounds?
Sometimes when you stare in the middle of the screen it looks quite dark at the top/bottom edges?

Can't say I've noticed anything (although my prev screen had 'IPS Glow' at the corners so may be used to ignoring differences)

Soldato
Can't say I've noticed anything (although my prev screen had 'IPS Glow' at the corners so may be used to ignoring differences)
Really not even like this? https://ibb.co/F0tYrgw

Mr G - I don't know of one, but if there were one available I'd use it. Don't think it's required tho.

Cavallino - I took a pic of my screen with a solid white desktop background so you can judge for yourself, as I'd say not really but technically the answer is yes and the panl uniformity shows variances in the TFTCentral review too.

Cheers Sibbers. So Im not imaging it, what you showed is similar. Is this a normal phenomenon of IPS panels?

Ive got another request and Im not sure if I am imaging it... but is it me (maybe just eye strain) or is there the faintest of flicker that seems to crop up when you move your eyes across from one part of the screen to the other? (Response time and variable backlight are both off).

Associate
I would say its common amongst most (all?) panels and this screen is, for me, a good example. I'd suggest having a look through various other reviews at TFTCentral and checking out their panel uniformity section to see what is typical. I think IPS is better known for poorer blacks and backlight bleed rather than poor uniformity.

I don't see the flicker that you do even on faster mode, but I suspect if you looked at my screen you might so I reckon your eyes could just be better than mine!

Associate
Thx a lot for the test mate.

My energy options in Win10 are "classical" : high performance mode with "by default" settings.

In fact after a few minutes of inactivity the screen goes in sleep mode by itself and it is when I re-use my computer that sometimes (50% of the times I would say) when I check the screen settings using the screen OSD I can see that GSYNC is at "OFF" and Hz at "100". If I then switch off and on the monitor I have the 144Hz / GSYNC mode ON back as intended.

OK so for the ones here having the problem. I set "deep sleep" at off in the panel OSD and since 2 days had no issues anymore. (Normally it happened 10 times per day).

SO far so good, it seems to work for me

Soldato
Apparently the LG 38WN95C is being listed in some countries for as high as 1585 euros... The hell is LG thinking, pricing it near the same as the GL950G with no module?!

My guess is the lack of competition. If you look at the TV market there are big players such as Samsung to contend with. Not so much in this big IPS display market where they are all LG panels I think?. But I agree the price is bonkers.

Soldato
My guess is the lack of competition. If you look at the TV market there are big players such as Samsung to contend with. Not so much in this big IPS display market where they are all LG panels I think?. But I agree the price is bonkers.

It is really bugging me as if the refresh was cheaper I was going to go for that, avoids the issues with the fan in this one and stuff like that.

The fact they're asking the same money for a technically worse product (it will never come close to the input lag and response time of the module) is really grinding my gears.

Soldato
It is really bugging me as if the refresh was cheaper I was going to go for that, avoids the issues with the fan in this one and stuff like that.

The fact they're asking the same money for a technically worse product (it will never come close to the input lag and response time of the module) is really grinding my gears.

There are several Freesync/adaptive sync monitors with as good input lag as those with a Gsync module. Problem is that there are almost none with proper variable overdrive even though it's more than possible without a Gsync module. It seems like lazy implementation after lazy implementation of VRR which annoys me to no end as Freesync can offer the same in this regard as Gsync module enabled monitors can. So I understand why people sometimes look at Gsync and want to go with that cause there is nothing more annoying than excessive blur or overshoot from a panel that should have none of it due to improper overdrive.

Soldato
There are several Freesync/adaptive sync monitors with as good input lag as those with a Gsync module. Problem is that there are almost none with proper variable overdrive even though it's more than possible without a Gsync module. It seems like lazy implementation after lazy implementation of VRR which annoys me to no end as Freesync can offer the same in this regard as Gsync module enabled monitors can. So I understand why people sometimes look at Gsync and want to go with that cause there is nothing more annoying than excessive blur or overshoot from a panel that should have none of it due to improper overdrive.

I was specifically referring to the GL950 with the v2 module, which has the lowest rated input lag on the market based on what TFT has been able to get out of it.

The downside from what I can see of said module is that it doesn't allow for the sRGB mode for some dumb reason, so you're stuck with the oversaturated colours on the wider gamut, is that right?

Associate
I was specifically referring to the GL950 with the v2 module, which has the lowest rated input lag on the market based on what TFT has been able to get out of it.

The downside from what I can see of said module is that it doesn't allow for the sRGB mode for some dumb reason, so you're stuck with the oversaturated colours on the wider gamut, is that right?

sRGB is a mode that's available on this panel, although 'emulated' its still sRGB. Beyond that you can set to custom and modify RGB values for calibration etc. Unless I'm missing something, but what I read from TFTCentral was I thought pretty kind. Your'e deffo not stuck with oversaturated colours.

Associate
NvbVbeI.jpg

Spent last night on it. I've come from 60hz 9 year old Dell monitors to this... Wow. Just wow.
Gaming on this yesterday was immersive.

Associate
Still tempted by one of these, that higher refresh and slightly larger screen keeps tempting me to pull the trigger and replace my AW 34".

Associate
NvbVbeI.jpg

Spent last night on it. I've come from 60hz 9 year old Dell monitors to this... Wow. Just wow.
Gaming on this yesterday was immersive.

Looks the biz! Those monitors too, crikey they must thump.

Yeah, feels like an end game panel for a long time this. Glad you’re enjoying it dude, there’s really nothing I don’t like about this screen. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom