Got a good deal on a phone - but want to confirm before rushing in.

Caporegime
Hi all,

Sorry for another spec me thread - but honestly, aside from seeing headlines from youtubers on current flock of latest and greatest phones, I am pretty out of the loop. So, forgive any ignorance displayed here :)

Currently, I have a Samsung S8 - and until the last couple of months, its been absolutely fine, only now am I beginning to see a lag of performance, so feeling the need to upgrade. I have had this phone for roughly 2 years now.

I don't consider myself a heavy phone user. Just have a lot of apps installed for odd and occasional functions when needed.

Also another thing, I hate hate hate big phones, really the S8 is about as big as I would want to go. I have small hands, using these phablet style phones that is the current trend is honestly just a chore to me. I find it uncomfortable. I can just about use the S8 with 1 hand, so dimensions as close as possible is a big requirement for me. I also don't need

Anyway, that lot aside. I need something with more umph. Now a colleagues sister works at Samsung, and has offered me the S10 128gb for 550eur - around 480gbp - its just over my personal limit of 500eur on a phone, but looking at it, this seems like a stonkingly good deal. The S10 is currently discounted on Amazon to 640eur/560gbp (240 off its RRP) - but without that, either way its an excellent price for this phone.

It also seems to tick my boxes

- More RAM & CPU horsepower
- Pretty much the same size as the S8
- It is close enough to my personal budget limit that I can forgo the extra.

So, OcUK phone experts - taking in the above? should I be considering anything else? or just go for it? :)

Thanks in advance!
Jake

Soldato
Since you're talking in Euros I'm not sure which market you're in (Portugal?) and what prices are generally like there but wouldn't call that a particularly stonking deal.

Also assuming this is a brand new handset price, it's not a bad but seen better deals in UK and you can get a second hand one in excellent condition for closer to £400.

Also if you like smaller handsets then S10e may be worth checking out, lacks the telephoto lens and under display finger print reader (side mounted) but has the same performance and regular + ultrawide cameras at an even smaller size than your S8.

Caporegime
OP
Market wise - lets focus on the UK but purchasable off the interwebs - IE, if you can get a better deal by going into a Carphone Warehouse and giving them a secret code, thats not very applicable to me :p :D

Portuguese market isn't too different to the UK, in terms of tech, generally speaking.

Yes its a brand new headset, direct from Samsung. I would prefer to buy the phone new as well. I've had second hand phones in the past, not had issues, so nothing against it, just not my preference :)

Had not considering the S10e - I'll take a look, thank you :)

Soldato
Another option worth looking into would be installing Lineage OS on your existing phone. It'll be a damn sight snappier for sure, although you'll lose out on some of the camera functionality (not that that bothers me much in a phone)

Caporegime
OP
Another option worth looking into would be installing Lineage OS on your existing phone. It'll be a damn sight snappier for sure, although you'll lose out on some of the camera functionality (not that that bothers me much in a phone)
I can't change that - company device also enrolled in company intune etc - I can do anything with it, as long as its all above board :)

Soldato
Ah knackers, that's a shame as Samsung devices have been some of the best Lineage devices I've used.

I'd have a look at both the S10 and the 10e. I don't have massive hands (just stubby fingers!) but am using a Oneplus 7 Pro which is larger than the S10 and I don't have too many problems.

Caporegime
OP
If I could handle big phones i'd be all over a Oneplus device tbh. But yeah - I find it incredibly frustrating. So its really a firm no go from me :)

Will check out the 10e :) thanks!

Back
Top Bottom