Spec me a new modem / router

Soldato
Morning all,

Just changed ISP to Utility Warehouse who run on TalkTalk.

Didn't go for their "super router" as I use mesh anyway, but the router they provide is shocking.

Can anyone recommend a good reliable stable modem router I can replace with?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
What’s wrong with the device they provide? What feature(s) are you missing?

Thanks, it's just very basic, it needs a reboot quite often which seems to take forever it's a Technicolor modem router.

I'm thinking an upgrade might give me a better/more stable experience.

Ta

A

Soldato
OP
Anything TP-Link is generally fine in my experience. What brand is your mesh? It might make some sense to get the same?

Thanks I've had a decent TP and a bad one, maybe ill just get the TP link one I was looking at on the auction site, refurbed for £59.

Mesh is Tenda MW - I've not used their routers so would probably stick to a more popular brand

Thanks
A

Soldato
If I was using a mesh system I'd be connecting it to a modem, or at very least a router with a 'modem mode'.

If it's VDSL a secondhand HG612 is a cheap and effective option.

Soldato
OP
If I was using a mesh system I'd be connecting it to a modem, or at very least a router with a 'modem mode'.

If it's VDSL a secondhand HG612 is a cheap and effective option.

Thanks hadn't looked at that, tbh I just use my mesh in bridge mode to get decent connections around the house.

Its just standard 70meg fibre here.

Ta

Soldato
The BT devices have been consistently good at wireless LAN since about the Smart Hub 4. They had 3x3 MiMo very early on and then actively finding low utilization channels and they one of the very first with 4x4 MuMiMo in a 'giveaway' hub.

Associate
draytek 2762ac has a stronger WiFi signal than two of my asus routers ( rt ax and au88).
I can get wifi in the last 10 metres of my garden which the asus routers cannot do.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments guys,

WiFi not an issue as mesh takes care of that just wanted a more functional and potentially stable router / modem

A

Back
Top Bottom