What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Under Siege - 8/10 - Ah 1992 Steven Segal was an absolute legend :D What was effectively intended as a high budget "B" grade action movie (it's a Segal film after all) was made into a far better one with great casting, great script with "bad-guy banter" so realistic between Busey, Tommy Lee & Colm Meaney that some of it must have been improvised. It also has a tight story which keeps the pace moving and actually semi-believable characters who do common sense things (good and bad) for logical reasons rather than just to advance the plot regardless of reality.

Also, as a military buff I knows there's heaps technically wrong with the film (oh sweet baby Jesus so much is wrong) but it's just so entertaining that those "little" issues really don't bother me.

Associate
Under Siege - 8/10 - Ah 1992 Steven Segal was an absolute legend :D What was effectively intended as a high budget "B" grade action movie (it's a Segal film after all) was made into a far better one with great casting, great script with "bad-guy banter" so realistic between Busey, Tommy Lee & Colm Meaney that some of it must have been improvised. It also has a tight story which keeps the pace moving and actually semi-believable characters who do common sense things (good and bad) for logical reasons rather than just to advance the plot regardless of reality.

Also, as a military buff I knows there's heaps technically wrong with the film (oh sweet baby Jesus so much is wrong) but it's just so entertaining that those "little" issues really don't bother me.

Not even going to mention one of the greatest scenes of topless nudity to ever grace my teenage years?

Soldato
Not even going to mention one of the greatest scenes of topless nudity to ever grace my teenage years?

The cake scene :D

It's almost like they chose a Baywatch swimsuit actress and Playboy centrefold just for that scene! If you look at pictures of her now, she's still very beautiful, and has resisted Hollywood's plastic surgery addiction.

Edit: Ironically, I've just realised that she got implants, so she actually went plastic surgery right at the beginning of her career, though she doesn't seem to have messed with her face.

Last edited:
Associate
The Guilty (2000)

"Callum Crane is in line for appointment to the federal bench, during the same week he rapes a new secretary at his office. It's also the same week Nathan Corrigan (a young, callow ex-con) goes to the city to meet his biological father, the same Callum Crane."

DLLyszc.png

Soldato
Geostorm. 1/10.

Holy moses, where do I start. An absolute garbage train wreck of a movie. What the hell were Ed Harris and Andy Garcia doing in a film that had a plot and dialogue written by a 10 year old. Seeing these people trying to act and deliver their lines made me cringe like youd never believe. I guarantee I will not watch a movie as bad as that in another decade.

AVOID.

Man of Honour
The Great Escape

I’ve never seen this before so I braced myself for an ‘old film’. The first half of the film was enjoyable but I did end up forgetting that I was watching an ‘old film’ during the far more exciting second half, which was genuinely very tense at points.

The ‘ending’, as it were, very much surprised me. I could see where it was going when I watched it, but I mean based on my expectations from being I started watching. I associate the film’s reputation somewhat with the... undue ‘flag waving’ QEII loving ‘boomer generation’ (if you know what I mean) so was expecting a slab of epic ‘dumb cheese’ at the end but I was completely mistaken.

It is long film but I didn’t mind. All in all I’d give this one a thumbs up - exceeded my expectations.

7.5/10

Caporegime
I picked up Disney+ to watch the Mandalorian and then cancelled it, but my wife is away for a bit so I figured I'd rewatch the Star Wars saga from beginning to end while she's away before my subscription runs out. First up, the prequels - of which I do not have fond memories.

The Phantom Menace

I don't think I've seen this since it crushingly disappointed me in the cinema all those years ago. Time has not been kind to the CGI; lots of it looked bad then and it looks worse now. What is this garbage with Anakin? Why do slaves have their own home? Why is Anakin allowed to make his own robot? Just what? Actually, basically the whole film would have been a lot better if Anakin was, say, 12 and they didn't decide to nonsensically stuff C3PO and R2D2 into the film. Jar Jar was actually less annoying than I remember him, to damn with faint praise, but he doesn't make any sense. Why do they drag him around the place with them? In a couple of scenes it looks like this wasn't planned and they CGI'd him in later. The Pod Race is cartoon quality race guff. Have these people ever seen a real race?

But, actually, it's not as bad as I remember. There's a good amount of fine spectacle, the Jedi are fun, and the starships look good. Stop measuring it against Star Wars and it's a middle-of-the-road sci fi movie for kids. I've certainly seen much worse films. 5/10

The Attack of the Clones

OMG, what is this drekk? If Phantom Menace surprised me by being better than I remembered, AotC surprised me by being worse. There's not a well paced scene in the whole movie; and the CGI manages to look even worse than in it did in Phantom Menace. None of the plot makes very much sense. The much maligned romance sequences are actually some of the best in this absolute pile, again damning with faint praise. Seeing the Jedi and the Storm Troopers on the same side is about the only good thing about the movie.

Utter garbage 1/10.

(As an aside: AotC did show up how badly the Mandalorian fits with what we know about Boba and Jango Fett from the movies)

Associate
The last films I watch is the new one from Mortal Kombat Scorpion and the other is from Netflix called Uncorked. They both fascinated me and I recommend them with complete confidence.

Soldato
Code 8 - 7/10 Good film, I enjoyed it nothing special but nice to have a film based on powers that wasnt about being a super hero

Fantasy Island 7/10 Another one i really enjoyed, It reminded be of final destination in how it revealed how the characters were all linked

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Bloodshot 6/10. Expected way worse. Cookie cutter movie for sure, but expected more copy-pasta and didn't mind the unfolding of the story.

Knives Out 7/10. Enjoyed the ensemble cast, and the initial feeling of it being a modern-day whodunnit. Spoiled by it trying to be clever, yet turning utterly predictable.

Ready or Not 7.5/10 Quite a good romp. Stupid premise but worked once you suspended disbelief. Decent ending.

Soldato
This evening I watched Under Siege and it’s sequel. The films are as enjoyably cheesy as ever but the quality on Amazon was quite bad. If I were a naughty boy, or perhaps could have been bothered, I might have been tempted to acquire them from elsewhere as, I expect but have no first hand experience, the quality would have been better.

Back
Top Bottom