Upgrade Options Advice

Associate
Hi I'm looking to upgrade my current Build in line with some more modern components to help performance and give the PC a new lease of life but I feel I'm at a fork in the road:

Current build:
Mobo
: Asus H110M K D3
Ram: HyperX Fury Ddr3 1600 2x8gb (×2)
CPU: i5-6400
GPU- AMD RX480
PSU: EVGA600
SSD: Hyperx Fury 240gb
HDD: Toshiba P300 2 TB
Monitor: Samsung LU28H750UQUXEN
Case: Game Max Nero MATX ( Happy to increase size)

Looking to keep the SSD / HDD and Monitor.

Budget £500-650 ( potentially more due to resale of old parts)

Unsure what to focus on first, the obvious choice seems to get my Mobo and Ram to DDR4/ ATX
Then I can focus on CPU/GPU, or if there is still life within these and I should focus on something else.
Predominately used for gaming, Triple A titles, RTSs and Total War ect

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll need an ATX case, I've just picked one that's new out and got some good reviews, however it's entirely personal preference.

My suggestion for an upgrade path, then focus on GPU next dependant on budget for that.

Be aware the new B550 motherboards are due to release 16th June onwards, which just brings PCIe 4 as far as I'm aware for the mental M.2 speeds of 4000Mb+ read/write which are incredibly overpriced still.

If you're not bothered, crack on as the B450 is a great chipset still. If you think you may get a PCIe 4 NVMe drive, then you might want to hold on for about ~5-6 weeks. :)

What do you use the rig for btw? Just gaming or anything more CPU intensive like video editing, rendering etc at all? If so then you'll want the 3700X which is an extra £130 on top of the 3600 CPU price. If just gaming then the 3600 is perfect.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £529.92 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Y

What do you use the rig for btw? Just gaming or anything more CPU intensive like video editing, rendering etc at all? If so then you'll want the 3700X which is an extra £130 on top of the 3600 CPU price. If just gaming then the 3600 is perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions, predominately gaming, storage and movie watching so nothing too CPU intensive. Would my current PSU be compatible with the suggestions above ?

Soldato
Would my current PSU be compatible with the suggestions above ?

You haven't given the exact model other than EVGA 600w, but I imagine it would be fine. Check the model number and can see if enough amps on the 12v rail, expect should be ok though. Over the years GPUs have become much more power efficient than older generations.

As @Quartz mentions though, how do you think your PC falls short atm, is it purely FPS in games? What do you play atm or plan to in the future?

Have you thought about just upgrading the GPU first, something like the Powercolor 5700XT (£380) or Gigabyte 2070 Super (£500)? The 2070S is marginally better than the 5700 XT but there's a big difference in price. Personally I have the 2070S as I've not been a fan of AMD's graphics drivers. But the 5700XT is a fantastic card for the money.

The i5-6400 may be a slight bottleneck on either of these GPUs, but you'd see a good FPS boost - then later on when £££ allows get the base upgrade as suggested?

Edit: You might need to check what clearance you have to fit a new graphics card as well in that mATX case, if you went for GPU first...

Back
Top Bottom