Audi owners in here!

Associate
Can anyone who has owned a D3 A8 tell me if the stock suspension system can lower the car to this height if you select the lowest setting in the MMI? A friend of mine has one and it looks like this on its lowest setting - seems broken to me but I don’t know much about them.

I had a D3 A8 W12 and no the stock air suspension does not go that low on its lowest setting, no where near.

This is stock lowest:
25830845543_d81d06a587_c.jpg

You can however plug in VCDS and adjust the overall level so each of the settings will sit that bit lower but still nowhere near that picture you posted and if you screw it up it's a pain to fix.

Soldato
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. Looks a bit dull to me.

In any other colour I'd agree with you. To be fair, I've not been a massive fan of the TT. Kinda reminds me of the ford puma where that was basically a fiesta in a new dress.

Does look good in that blue colour though.

Soldato
I had a D3 A8 W12 and no the stock air suspension does not go that low on its lowest setting, no where near.

This is stock lowest:
25830845543_d81d06a587_c.jpg

You can however plug in VCDS and adjust the overall level so each of the settings will sit that bit lower but still nowhere near that picture you posted and if you screw it up it's a pain to fix.

Thanks - that’s what I thought. It’s been dropping at night as well so it definitely has a problem. Not surprising really given the age of the car - glad it’s his problem and not mine :p

Man of Honour
It shouldn't have been replaced though. There was place for an S6 and a (for example) D6.

If it sold well it wouldn't have. There is a very small market for practical, comfortable executive saloons with really thirsty petrol engines and its already catered for by the better RS6, isn't it? Most people buy these type of cars to drive them quite far, and for these people a diesel S6 is far more appealing than a petrol one.

Soldato
The diesel S6 is more a replacement A6 BI-TDI which didn't sell in great numbers either. I was more surprised they made the S4 a diesel especially with BMW dropping the twin turbo diesel in the 3 Series all together in the UK. Someone looking for a high performance petrol without the M/RS/AMG servicing costs only choice now is BMW or Mercedes.

EDIT Scrap that M340d is coming to the UK. Still would have expected Audi to offer a petrol S4 to market it against the M340i (which is superb)

Last edited:
Caporegime
If it sold well it wouldn't have. There is a very small market for practical, comfortable executive saloons with really thirsty petrol engines and its already catered for by the better RS6, isn't it? Most people buy these type of cars to drive them quite far, and for these people a diesel S6 is far more appealing than a petrol one.
I must be in the minority then unfortunately as I don't do the annual mileage to warrant a diesel of any kind (and would be happy to fuel a petrol S6 across Europe once in a blue moon), but I wouldn't want the upkeep costs of the RS6, it's another level entirely.

Man of Honour
Nope - they still do a 55TFSI S-Line. With 340bhp it's basically an S6 in everything but badge. You just hardly see them as the market is astonishingly small. I understand paradigms point - I'll soon have a 2 mile each way commute and a 540i would be far more suited than my 530d - but people like us are in the minority as most people with low mileage and a desire for a powerful petrol car buy a sports car or something.

The S Series Audi's always were a triumph of marketing - an S4 was no different to a 340i M Sport but because it had S in front of it the market seemed to lose sight of the fact it was roughly the equivalent car in terms of price and performance. This is probably what pushed BMW into the 'M Performance' area.

Soldato
Well that escalated quickly. Now my etron order is confirmed and I know 100% I'm getting it at the agreed silly price, I've been looking at a weekend toy. Don't think I'll keep it yonks, maybe 18-24 months. We'll see.

anyways. I've been looking at the following:

Audi Approved Used:

2015 '65 Audi TTS
Auto, Glacier White, Red Leather
1 Owner, 22,500 miles

Options

20" Alloys
Matrix LED
Comfort & Sound
Technology Pack
Extended Leather
Electric Seats
Quartz interior highlights
Advanced Key
Side Assist
Storage Pack

Tyres are nearly new, not long been serviced and MOT

before I tell you the price, what's everyones thoughts on what I should be paying

Soldato
A far more useful car as a diesel though.

Basically true. I'd have said it should be called an A6 S-Line somethingty-diesel, but I'm not AUDI and I'm sure it sells far better as an S6. It is still a petrol outside of Europe.

I dismay to see manufacturers cashing in their desirable performance brands as a glorified trim level. S-Line, ///M badges everywhere, Efficiency Blue AMG, even QV-Line now. I suppose it's no different to impractically large wheels, most people want form without function and shareholders want their money.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
before I tell you the price, what's everyones thoughts on what I should be paying

Around 20k at a guess, thinking it would be a few quid more than a similar age S3/Golf R.

As something that’s more a weekend toy not fancy the previous model TT RS?

More dated granted, but that engine makes it far more of an occasion to drive.

Back
Top Bottom