VRM Temps out the roof OcUK binned 8700k

Soldato
I have a binned delidded 8700k from OcUK sat on a Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 board, all been fine running it @ the sold 5.1 state.

Being Furlough just thought I'd bring up prime95 and stretch her legs to find I got BSOD after 15 mins. Rebooted checked the temps and I noticed in HW Monitor to find TMPIN4 sitting at 62C and shooting up to 120c soon as the second round of tests start in "Blend", soon as this happened I noticed the CPU clocks flicking between 800/3700/5100mhz so I presume this is VRM throttling the system.

In bios I'm running 1.37V, Turbo LLC, VCCIO 1.15v most other things set to auto. I got the lazer temp gun out whatever you call them and the base of the VRM sinks are showing 50c.

Guessing this is why my overclock is becoming unstable, is there any other setting I should add?

I also got my pet dryer out which I use to touch less dry my car and used the low setting on the VRM and blasted air at the VRM's during the 2nd stages of the test, this dropped the temps from 120c to 68c. The throttling stopped but I still got another crash at 20mins

Associate
Any reason for using prime? it is a very synthetic test that puts a lot of unrealistic load on your system especially the newer versions.

Try running Realbench, Aida or Cinebench

Soldato
OP
I've ordered some thermal pads to replace the older stock ones, hopefully this might help, can't say its something I've noticed before.

I'll try your suggestions and report back, this well may be only a prime issue 3 hours of Warzone see's the temp hit 62C. I only use prime to test heat and a little stability when first O/Cing

Man of Honour
If I remember right wasn't the VRM's on the Gigabyte Z370 boards pretty poor which is why they got it so right on the Z390 boards? A quick search certainly throws up several results of that board throttling due to high VRM temps. Even after some people swapped the thermal pads for better ones the VRM's were still in the 90's and that's with overclock settings in the bios tweaked to keep temps as low as possible.

Soldato
Direct some airflow near the vrm's on the earlier gigabytes. All you need to do if they're hot. Large air cooler no issues compared to using aio. Gigabyte bobo.

Back
Top Bottom