Zotac 1080Ti mini getting too loud

Soldato
Well finally settled on a case. I wanted to get the Meshify C but cramming a 360 and a 240 aio in there, whilst some of done it just looked to cramp and bit of a nightmare. The Meshify S2 was just to big, kinda of needed something in between.

Ended up going with a Corsair Obsidian 500D. I ripped out the fans that came with it. Put the 360 in the front, 240 in the top and stuck a Noctua NF-P12 fan at the rear. Cable management on this case is not good at all. Far worse then the Phanteks P400a it replaced. That was a really great case to be fair, if only it would accept a top rad setup properly it would have been perfect.

Everything is all set up and left it running overnight for stuff to settle.

Temps are pretty good now.

AjhMxIf.jpg.png

Associate
OP
My R6 is now all up and running, with a total of SIX 140mm fans, all running on low-ish settings, however the VRM heatsinks from china for the GPU AIO mod, despite being the perfect size, are of no use as the thermal tape just does not stick :mad: Also, I've now noticed that the pump head on the H115i platinum does NOT match the fans any more, I saw and posted about something similar in another thread saying I'd not seen it... well now I have!!! #gutted

I opted to keep the 280mm rad up front as an intake, on a side note the Fractal R6 WILL easily hold the H115I platinum up top, as long as the RAM is low profile, I just did not like the look, it looked... cramped?

Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent double sided heatsink tape, I only need a very small amount and loathe to pay for a full pad...

DB

Associate
OP
I officially give up. New thermal tape arrived from OcUk today, and it also does not adhere to the VRM's, I've cleaned, re-cleaned and cleaned them over and over using IPA and solvent cleaners, NOTHING seems to want to stick. I think my options now are to:

A: Give up (most likely option here now)
B: Obtain a faulty 1080Ti mini and butcher the heatsink to cool the VRM's, allowing the use of the G12/AIO
C: Obtain a tri-fan 1080Ti (not looking likely as costs are rising again it seems)
D: Swap out to a 9700XT
E: wait till the 3x series gets released, and pray the second hand 1x/2x markets flood

Bit gutted now, really wanted to get this going.

Associate
OP
Do you need heat sinks ?

I don’t have any on my 1080ti with the G12 fitted. Just using the fan it came with. Everything is nice and cool.

I've asked this in another thread, glad I've found someone that's actually done it!! I'm going to go for it but not tonight, far too tired, thank you for confirming!!!

Soldato
Yeah it’s fine mate. Saw one vid on YouTube where they tested with and without. Made no difference. My 1080ti idles mid 20s and under stress test tops out at 54 fans running in silent mode. If it was necessary the g12 would ship with them.

Associate
OP
Yeah it’s fine mate. Saw one vid on YouTube where they tested with and without. Made no difference. My 1080ti idles mid 20s and under stress test tops out at 54 fans running in silent mode. If it was necessary the g12 would ship with them.

Well, I went for it, got up early and thought I'd just do it. It did not go well. THe G12 install was fine, but with being a mini card, the cooling fan only covered maybe a 3rd of the VRMs and they got super hot, SUPER fast. Hard locked PC after a short while, couldn't touch the VRM's at all, actually burnt my finger :( The cooler seems to be doing it's thang, the rad got warm and temps were around 57 degrees on teh core, the VRM cooling appeared to be the issue. I've officialy given up for now.

Thanks everyone for the input, can't wait to get access to the MM, got a ton of now unused and brand new hardware to shift :(

Soldato
That sucks, if the fan isn't hitting them at all then even adding the tiny heatsinks surely wouldn't fix it either. It would help but you gotta have airflow to dissipate the heat.

One last thing to try before you hand in the towel.

Have a look on the rainforest for "Gelid" PCI Slot Fan Holder with two slim 120mm UV Fans

If the G12 fan isn't hitting the VRM then maybe this would. Just an idea.

Associate
OP
That sucks, if the fan isn't hitting them at all then even adding the tiny heatsinks surely wouldn't fix it either. It would help but you gotta have airflow to dissipate the heat.

One last thing to try before you hand in the towel.

Have a look on the rainforest for "Gelid" PCI Slot Fan Holder with two slim 120mm UV Fans

If the G12 fan isn't hitting the VRM then maybe this would. Just an idea.

I've sat yet another 140mm fan directly under the GPU to feed it some cooler air, temps under load now a few degrees lower, and have set the GPU fan to an auto profile it's a little better than what it was, an acceptible trade-off I guess :)

Back
Top Bottom