Loft conversion and height

Associate
I am contemplating a loft conversion.

I measured from to the top where the joins meet in the rafters to the joist/floorboards I had laid years ago and it came to approx 2.32m.

I have read you need between 2.2 to 2.4 to make it worthwhile but not really able to see any local jobs from builders so wanted opinions on whether the height I have is worth it to gain a bedroom with ensuite and walk in wardrobe and maybe a study of some sort?

I imagine the usable height would be around 2.1 to 2.2m?

Anyone done a conversion with a similar height?

Man of Honour
I've viewed a few houses with loft conversions. Unless one is a midget, or going to use the loft as a children's bedroom, 2.1m height is very stifling...feels trapped in with the reduced ceiling height.
Might be worth visiting a few houses with loft conversions when the lockdown eases and see.

Soldato
I am contemplating a loft conversion.

I measured from to the top where the joins meet in the rafters to the joist/floorboards I had laid years ago and it came to approx 2.32m.

I have read you need between 2.2 to 2.4 to make it worthwhile but not really able to see any local jobs from builders so wanted opinions on whether the height I have is worth it to gain a bedroom with ensuite and walk in wardrobe and maybe a study of some sort?

I imagine the usable height would be around 2.1 to 2.2m?

Anyone done a conversion with a similar height?

How much have you looked into it? Apologies if you have already considered the Building Regulations implications, but in case you haven't, working out isn't as simple as it may seem. I've designed loft conversions as a structural engineer.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/36/loft_conversion/3

Your loft floor is unlikely to be suitable for a habitable space in terms of loading (25kg/m2 loft storage vs 150kg/m2 domestic). That usually means the loft joists will either need replacing, or new deeper joists (creating a raised floor) installed in between the existing ones, the latter being more common. With that in mind, you could be looking at losing 50-100mm through the new raised floor. So that needs to be factored into your space planning.

Associate
OP
Feeling trapped and claustrophobic is one of my concerns as it will be the master bedroom to allow the kids to get separate rooms on the first floor. Trying to imagine the space is very difficult. Wanted to try and get planning permission or some plans drawn up but guess will have to ride out being at home like everyone else.

Associate
OP
How much have you looked into it? Apologies if you have already considered the Building Regulations implications, but in case you haven't, working out isn't as simple as it may seem. I've designed loft conversions as a structural engineer.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/36/loft_conversion/3

Your loft floor is unlikely to be suitable for a habitable space in terms of loading (25kg/m2 loft storage vs 150kg/m2 domestic). That usually means the loft joists will either need replacing, or new deeper joists (creating a raised floor) installed in between the existing ones, the latter being more common. With that in mind, you could be looking at losing 50-100mm through the new raised floor. So that needs to be factored into your space planning.

Thank you for this. Prior to being stuck at home I had two architects out and one said it was possible whilst the other wasn’t so sure. When ringing around loft firms in the area they seem to think it is possible but not sure if that is to simply get the work or payment towards some plans being drawn up and submitted.

The house is quite wide and would want to use all the attic for habitable space but the height sounds like it could be a stumbling block at around 2m 32cm? Who do I need to speak to see if this is a goer without being led up the garden path or going around in circles?

Thank you.

Associate
OP
2.1m is about the height to the top of a door frame
just do a full stretch with your arms above your head whilst standing in your door frame and you'd see what i mean about feeling trapped

When you put it like that is does feel low but it was more to imagine seeing or being able to experience walking around in an existing job to get an idea.

There are houses in my street who have done conversions but their house style is different to mine. Am I being naive but the guys who do a conversion are their attics giving them more vertical space or are they just accepting lowered ceilings such as 2.1m?

Man of Honour
more sqft living space = higher house price//value, despite having lower headroom
if you know your neighbours, just ask them to let you view their loft?
or alternatively
Might be worth visiting a few houses with loft conversions when the lockdown eases and see.

Man of Honour
this was a property i went to view that had a dormer loft conversion to a master en-suite

wJDqqIw.jpg
outside

e5IIn35.jpg
inside
if you look at the top right of the image, you'd see where the door frame literally meets the ceiling. that's a 2.1m ceiling.

Soldato
more sqft living space = higher house price//value, despite having lower headroom
if you know your neighbours, just ask them to let you view their loft?
or alternatively

AN alternative, especially given you want to have minimal social interactions at the moment, is to go to your local planning authority planning portal. Put your street name in and look for houses along your street which have had a loft conversion put in. It may be tricky to identify them but an hour or so should yield some results - their conversion may not be as simple as you intend though. If you find any, look at the submitted drawings, and see if you can find any drawings showing dimensions.

Ultimately, if you want a viable solution, approach a RIBA accredited architect who has some loft conversions in their portfolio, and pay them to draw you up a viable scheme, just detailed enough for costing by a builder. If financially viable, then appoint the architect, and a structural engineer to do drawings and calculations for Building Control approval, and eventually construction.

Soldato
this was a property i went to view that had a dormer loft conversion to a master en-suite

wJDqqIw.jpg
outside

e5IIn35.jpg
inside
if you look at the top right of the image, you'd see where the door frame literally meets the ceiling. that's a 2.1m ceiling.

I can't believe Building COntrol didn't insist on a balustrade across that glazing!

Soldato
Actually, you are right. Just found the BS reg that allows it if designed as a balustrade. It's from 2011 but surprisingly I hadn't come across it till now.

I think it was in the 1999 version of BS6180 too (and by reference the building regs AD part A).

Soldato
to the OP did the house keep its original roof line when they "converted" the loft? I wouldn't be surprised if they raised the roof to create more space. As others have said you will need to check the existing loft floor for capacity. The newer the building the less likely there is spare capacity, but older properties (older than the pictures above suggest) can, occasionally, be pleasantly surprising in how generous they were put together. My loft has enough grunt in it to carry a full domestic load if it had to. Weigh up how much the works will cost vs what putting that money towards a deposit on another property will get you, or how much extra value your property will accrue as a result of you adapting it in this way. Sometimes just because something can be made to work doesn't mean it is a good idea.

Soldato
You lose a fair bit of space in a loft conversion. You have to allow for the steel beam to make the new floor, that's 200mm easily, and then you need to insulate the roof so 100mm there, and of course you need to dedicate space below it for a staircase.

Maybe think about an extension instead?

Soldato
You lose a fair bit of space in a loft conversion. You have to allow for the steel beam to make the new floor, that's 200mm easily, and then you need to insulate the roof so 100mm there, and of course you need to dedicate space below it for a staircase.

Maybe think about an extension instead?

Whether a steel beam is needed depends on the existing structure below and size, arrangement of timbers in the loft floor to start with. Even if a steel beam is needed there are different options and a good engineer will aim to size the beam to suit the project rather than throw in 200mm deep just-because. I can recall projects using 152 deep UC and UB, coupled with 150 deep PFC and projects using a clever system of timbers with no steels whatsoever. Like most things though to get a customised design costs money so people often default to cheaper "off-the-shelf" solutions and those designs invariably have to allow for unknowns and incorporate redundancy etc and are often not as efficient as a result.

Soldato
Depending on the ceiling height below, you could potentially drop the ceilings to create extra height in the loft.

yes, potentially, but you have to be careful with interaction with door and window lintels, etc. Even worse is when you do need to drop it but someone has installed full-height glazing...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom