PC Gaming Dead?

Soldato
I'm coming from a slightly different angle, I was always into PC gaming but moved away years ago to consoles and used Macs for my work/creative stuff.

Just at the start of the lockdown and in view of all the time I'd have on my hands I thought it would be an ideal time to build a PC, which I did to a pretty high spec.

Since then I've hardly used my consoles, I played Destiny on PS4 but after playing on PC at 144+ FPS his res it's almost impossible to play on the console now as it seems so stuttery. It's the same with everything I've tried, the latest being Assassins Creed Odyssey which I compared on both PC and Xbox X, originally I though the X looked amazing but now the slower FPS and less details is too noticeable.

That plus I am now able to play Sim racing games like iRacing and ACC which I can't do on console.

I'm still really looking forward to the next gen consoles but think my route will be PS5 and PC instead of PS5 and X series, I think that will be best of both worlds... but I am still keeping my to Macs for my photography/creative stuff :)

C64

C64

Soldato
Valleys and peaks, when prices go high and must play games are thin on the ground it's half dead though.

Only game that got me out of bed on pc gaming lately is cod warzone besides that it's pretty boring out there.

There is one thing that could truly kill pc gaming though and that's the vast cheating economy that's getting bigger and bigger when you're dealing with chinese cheaters in every game going online one just doesn't even want to bother playing.

Best thing they could do to boost pc gaming is come with some serious anti cheat software and be very on top of that side of things.It's the first thing people will say "I don't want to game on pc because of the cheaters".And it's true no not every game but popular games are awash with billion dollar cheater economies.

Last edited:
Associate
It's all relative you know.

If things continue with tech as has been where it roughly doubles in power every year (think that's right), then things will be changing quickly (will always I guess).

Soldato
If you're happy to game on a 1080p or 1440p monitor and dont feel you need to have every single setting on max with max AA then you could happily upgrade components every 5 years or so.

If you are somone who games on a 4k monitor and needs 2 of nvidias latest graphics cards in your machine then i guess it can get expensive for you.

Associate
If you're happy to game on a 1080p or 1440p monitor and dont feel you need to have every single setting on max with max AA then you could happily upgrade components every 5 years or so.

If you are somone who games on a 4k monitor and needs 2 of nvidias latest graphics cards in your machine then i guess it can get expensive for you.

I think you just described the lifecycle of a console.

Soldato

Or in my case make that 10 years :p

I sorted my motherboard and CPU last year, bought a PS4 in March for the FFVII Remake and recently purchased a new graphics card as my 5870 was in need of a well earned rest. This current setup should last me a good few years (maybe not as long as before) and with this enforced lockdown I've actually spent more time on my PC gaming in the last month than I have done in the last 5 years.

Here's to another 14 year thread resurrection :)

Soldato
as soon as the consoles adopt native keyboard mouse support for fps game its dead. unless you want to play aimbots with the Chinese.

PC gaming has always had something that 2as going to make it dead. This thread is what, 15 years old?

Ever since consoles became mainstream we've heard the same old line.

Having a PC is a hobby, with consoles, gaming is the hobby.

Finally with solid competition in the CPU space, and the possibility of the same in the GPU space, I can only hope will see a return to sensible pricing. Pc is thriving as a platform, KB&M on a console isn't going to change that.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
PC gaming has always had something that 2as going to make it dead. This thread is what, 15 years old?

Ever since consoles became mainstream we've heard the same old line.

Having a PC is a hobby, with consoles, gaming is the hobby.

Finally with solid competition in the CPU space, and the possibility of the same in the GPU space, I can only hope will see a return to sensible pricing. Pc is thriving as a platform, KB&M on a console isn't going to change that.

Nor do they come with the cheater econmy. Unless something is done about cheating their no reason what so ever to buy a PC unless

A. You cheat
B You can afford the prices
C Solo VR
D Sim racing (also cheaters)
E You cheat

Soldato
Strategy games,I can't see a console playing the likes of Warhammer total war anytime soon.

I enjoy building the pc up,it's fun and as you have spent blood sweat and tears making it,you get that sense of satisfaction.

Telling people you put it together always impresses,well my family and friends anyway ..

Associate
The PC is a multipurpose device and won't be going anywhere as long as customers have a reason to create content, they'll be playing games and consuming all types of media on the platform.

Associate
Strategy games,I can't see a console playing the likes of Warhammer total war anytime soon.

I enjoy building the pc up,it's fun and as you have spent blood sweat and tears making it,you get that sense of satisfaction.

Telling people you put it together always impresses,well my family and friends anyway ..
These days it's the equivalent of assembling furniture from Ikea. Unless you actually create your own themed case etc.

Soldato
Nor do they come with the cheater econmy. Unless something is done about cheating their no reason what so ever to buy a PC unless

A. You cheat
B You can afford the prices
C Solo VR
D Sim racing (also cheaters)
E You cheat

A.I've robably encountered maybe 5 instances of cheating in my life, and I've been gaming for quite a while.

B. I certainly can't. I'm chronically ill. Fortunately the second hand market is absolutely thriving. Very capable machines can be built for the same price as a console.

We have a catalogue of decades with incredible titles to enjoy, and don't have to worry about backwards compatibility. Which means an awesome gaming experience can be had for very little. Games a year or two old are a fraction of the price, hardware a few years old can be had cheaply, and thus for not much money, you've got yourself some epic gaming. Wallet intact.

C.
I had a VR setup for quite a while. It was epic. I sold it because I couldn't use it, and needed money. I don't particularly miss it. I'd quite like to have a HOTAS, a VR setup withour lighthouses, a racing setup. Lots of possibilities if I so choose.

D. Sim racing, Space Sims, Flight Sims, FPS, RTS. Had consoles since consoles became a thing. Never enjoyed a title more on console than PC, but the opposite has often been true. (Also, see point A)

PC is an awesome platform, and an awesome hobby. Any peripheral, any size or dimension screen, any number of screens. Watercooling loops, epic audio solutions, FLAC, USB amps. Not to mention all the other things you can do, from music production to coding to graphic design to image manipulation to video editing.

Consoles have their place, and so do PCs. PC gaming isn't dead, at least not from where I'm sitting :)

I'm not sure why people are so desperate to decry PC, but they always have been, and I've always wondered why.

These days it's the equivalent of assembling furniture from Ikea. Unless you actually create your own themed case etc.

I don't agree. There's a lot of pleasure to be had deciding your platform and spec, with an immense amount of components, cases, fans and coolers to choose from.

PC is certainly easier to build than ever, but there's also more opportunity than ever for making it your own. Case modding, RGB, scratch builds, watercooling kits, custom loops, a wealth of peripherals, monitors, desks, chairs and accessories. We're spoilt.

PC is awesome fun, regardless of your level, and there's so much you can do to make it your own. That's why PC is a hobby, not a platform.

Back
Top Bottom