Live Stream of my Bird Box - Bluetits Nesting - Chicks Hatching Now

Caporegime
I had one come and take a young sparrow last year. Couldn't believe it either.

I believe it would probably have been a female to go after a pigeon? The males are smaller and stick to comparatively smaller prey sparrows / finches / **** etc.

Believe so as well.
I might never get a photo of that again.

Soldato
Bull finches?

That's amazing.

We get gold finches 24/7, sometimes 11 at a time.
We also get beautiful green finch. My favourite finch.
We also get green finch

It was amazing as they are stunning but sadly they only appeared a couple of times and we have not seen them at all yet this year. I’ve not seen a greenfinch since I was a kid, we don’t seem to get those near us unfortunately. There is something quite calming about watching the birds, I just hope we get a few more different species come and visit us.

Soldato
OP
Last time our local sparrowhawk missed it's target and ended up stuck in the hedge squaking away. It managed to wriggle free and drop down to the ground, where it sheepishly extracted itself and flew off :D It made a hell of a racket though!

That sounds ridiculous :p

David Attenborough Voice:
"Here comes one of natures most agile and cunning hunters. Watch as it........oh.......CUT!!"

Believe so as well.
I might never get a photo of that again.

Maybe but at least you were lucky enough to witness it in person.

There is something quite calming about watching the birds, I just hope we get a few more different species come and visit us.

Couldn't agree more. Been getting more in to gardening and attracting wild birds and watching them go about their own business is very rewarding. Very interesting to watch and as you say calming.

Soldato
OP
Another illustration of where the name scruffy came from :D

Look at him in comparison!!

Box1-20200506-095845910-1.jpg

Man of Honour
Both of mine above my study are in and out of the loft with food. I wondered whether the eggs have hatched, but I can't hear any chirping yet. It's amazing how many caterpillars they find, but then there is a huge oak tree next to the house.

Associate
My Bluetit chicks have started hatching. Seven eggs laid so see how it goes. Last year they successfully fledged all 5 of the eggs that hatched.

Soldato
OP
All quiet here. She is patiently sitting on the eggs ready for potential hatching approx Tuesday - Thursday this week.

Still enjoying the peanut butter.

Fingers crossed.

Box1-20200508-162022470-1.jpg

We've now got separate families of blackbird fledglings in our front and back garden. Both doing well. They're now becoming reasonably independent.

Also spotted a Robin this morning bringing a fledgling to the feeders and feeding it. Seen it a couple more times since following the adult very closely. I will try to get some photos.

Found two sparrow chicks which had fallen out of a nest. Think they had probably died in the nest and been pushed out.

Soldato
OP
My Bluetit chicks have started hatching. Seven eggs laid so see how it goes. Last year they successfully fledged all 5 of the eggs that hatched.

How are they getting on now?

Didn't want to get too close, but got a new picture.

That seems quick for a second brood! How many are there? Three?

I think the fledgling blackbirds are my favorite this year. Probably because they're quite a lot bigger than most and so a bit different but still have the cute proportions/appearance and behavior.

Associate
How are they getting on now?

Four out of the seven hatched and seem to be doing ok. Its getting busy in the garden now, 2 blackbird and 1 robin nests under construction. Fledgling blackbirds and goldfinches about and a blackcap constantly singing in a holy tree. I did see a female blackcap a couple of weeks ago but the fact the male is still singing suggests she wasn't too impressed!

Soldato
OP
A quiet but cooler day today spent keeping the eggs warm and sleeping. More fluffing up required than the last few days.

Reminder than all being well the eggs are due to hatch between Tuesday (12th) and Thursday (14th) but realistically it could be any time now so if you're interested in seeing it happen then its time to start keeping an eye out.

Box1-20200510-104845130-1.jpg

Box1-20200510-185738910-1.jpg

Caporegime
A quiet but cooler day today spent keeping the eggs warm and sleeping. More fluffing up required than the last few days.

Reminder than all being well the eggs are due to hatch between Tuesday (12th) and Thursday (14th) but realistically it could be any time now so if you're interested in seeing it happen then its time to start keeping an eye out.

Box1-20200510-104845130-1.jpg

Box1-20200510-185738910-1.jpg
I was having trouble getting the live feed on YouTube today. It said live, but it was from hours earlier.

Soldato
OP
Yeah sorry about that. It was the POE switch in the shed. It dropped the cameras. Got a text from family letting me know about an hour ago.

I'll have it open in the background all day while I'm working (weekday 8-5) but outside of that I might not notice straight away so if you do see any problems please message me.

Caporegime
Yeah sorry about that. It was the POE switch in the shed. It dropped the cameras. Got a text from family letting me know about an hour ago.

I'll have it open in the background all day while I'm working (weekday 8-5) but outside of that I might not notice straight away so if you do see any problems please message me.
Ok, no probs. Thanks for doing it, the whole family is eagerly awaiting the appearance of the chicks :)

Soldato

Is POE a polite way of saying POS?

Piece of excrement vs Piece of ****? :D

Back
Top Bottom