diet tips: willpower?

Caporegime
So your only drinking water for 10 days? You will have to let us know how much weight you lose

Assuming a sedentary lifestyle, you lose at least .25kg a day, closer to .4kg if your a large build, active, or more significantly overweight. Not something I would ever contemplate doing for 10 days, even with complete vitamin and electrolyte supplementation. The body cannot synthesise a number of essential amino acids needed to create proteins which results in a breakdown of muscle tissue.

I found that it tasted innocuous, but I wasn't paying much attention to the taste. It's food as a fuel, not food as a taste. It's likely to taste inoffensive to everyone, but since taste is extremely subjective then the only true test for anyone is to try it.

It doesn't mix easily, so if you want it completely smooth you'll probably want an effective mixer. I didn't care - a quick whisking with a fork and I drank it down with a few lumpy powdery bits in it. I ought to get some more and use it for breakfast. I tend to either not eat breakfast or get something on the way to work and both are bad for me in different ways.

Doesn't sound like something that would work as a meal replacement for me then, especially considering how expensive it is, it costs much more than an actual meal! I would just rather buy a 400cal sandwich which would actually be satisfying.

Man of Honour
Huel is excellent. Nitefly endorsed. It is filling IMO.

I have a couple of scoops for a late breakfast and 3 scoops for a late lunch, setting me up for a normal dins (and an easy calorie deficit).

And it is cheap, not sure how you can say it costs ‘more’ than a meal.

Associate

I have a couple of scoops for a late breakfast and 3 scoops for a late lunch, setting me up for a normal dins (and an easy calorie deficit).

I’m using Huel too - the ready to drink bottles.
They are very filling and taste decent.

Just cutting down food wise, I’ve lost a stone in 5 weeks.

Half a bottle of Huel in the morning and the rest at lunch then a normal meal in the evening.

Recently told that my cholesterol was slightly raised so decided to lose some weight and exercise a little more.

Man of Honour
[..] Doesn't sound like something that would work as a meal replacement for me then, especially considering how expensive it is, it costs much more than an actual meal! I would just rather buy a 400cal sandwich which would actually be satisfying.

If you buy Huel as a flavoured pre-mixed pre-bottled ready to drink thing, it's £2.79 for 400 food calories. Which is similar in cost to a decent sandwich but better nutrition. Sure, you can get a sandwich for £1. If you want crap quality damp cold bread and crap quality high fat filling.

If you buy Huel as the standard powdered form, it's £1.29 for 400 food calories. Which is only slightly more expensive than the crappiest sandwich, which would be neither satisfying, tasty, appealing in any way or healthy.

I think you're wrong about the cost of Huel.

Caporegime
Thanks Screech and others so far, find the feedback and responses very positive and it's interesting hearing other peoples stories as i know i am not the only person who has been in this boat

Intermittent fasting

Don't listen to anyone saying that fasting isn't healthy or good for you. Load of bull.

Basically for 20 straight hours a day you can't have anything apart from water. 4 straight hours per day you can eat whatever you like within moderation. So you can still have a nandos, etc.

As an example. Between say 3pm and 7pm is your feeding time. You can have 2 small meals say one at 3pm then another at 6pm. 7pm until 3pm the next day nothing but water.

A structured diet like this means if someone brings in cake you can take a slice but can't eat it until 3pm. By restricting the time you can consume food you will eat less calories so long as you don't resort to just eating crap.

Caporegime

I guess you don't do much home cooking then?

If you buy Huel as a flavoured pre-mixed pre-bottled ready to drink thing, it's £2.79 for 400 food calories. Which is similar in cost to a decent sandwich but better nutrition. Sure, you can get a sandwich for £1. If you want crap quality damp cold bread and crap quality high fat filling.

If you buy Huel as the standard powdered form, it's £1.29 for 400 food calories. Which is only slightly more expensive than the crappiest sandwich, which would be neither satisfying, tasty, appealing in any way or healthy.

I think you're wrong about the cost of Huel.

If you are talking about buying powders in bulk rather than something that's ready to just grab off the shelf, then you really need to compare that to the cost of just making a sandwich etc. at home yourself, which is far less than £1 and is much more appealing than an artificially flavoured powder mix I would wager.

Bulk nutritional powders cost next to nothing to make compared to a sandwich in a shop, much less making your own so they have to be priced accordingly for me to have any interest.

I mean I can buy 1kg of pasta for 99p, that's 10p for 400 calories, yes by itself it's not 100% nutritionally balanced, but that's a bit of a red herring for weight loss as unless you're trying to lose loads of weight you are not going to suffer from malnutrition in the space of time it takes to reach your target. Especially if you are taking a multivitamin supplement costing pennies.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eat nothing all day and eat a large doner kebab every night.

Seriously though, I've had my last kebab tonight and not going to eat anything tomorrow and start Huel diet on Monday.

Caporegime
@WantoN I tried that Rudeboy tea stuff. Yuck! Bought a whole box of the stuff and gave it away soon after :p

Sadly the only tea that doesn't make me retch is the real deal :p Clipper or Cafe Direct. Delicious, evil, delicious caffeine.

Caporegime
Should be easier to lose weight during lockdown. No binge drinking at the pub, no late night kebab, no nipping to McDonalds at lunch etc.. no regular food trips where you just quickly nip to the Tesco express and grab some snacks.

I guess takeaways are still running but generally shopping trips are fewer and planned. Cutting down on snacks, sugary drinks and junk food + doing some exercise is probs sufficient to make a big difference for most.

Doesn’t really require dieting, just a lifestyle change that can be sustained. Lockdown is probs the perfect time for people to start as lots of motivations to slip up aren’t there or are reduced. You’ve got to actively go out of your way to eat junk food now!

Soldato
@WantoN I tried that Rudeboy tea stuff. Yuck! Bought a whole box of the stuff and gave it away soon after :p

Sadly the only tea that doesn't make me retch is the real deal :p Clipper or Cafe Direct. Delicious, evil, delicious caffeine.

Hahaha? Redbush tea? It's definitely not a normal tea replacement, but it's bloomin' lovely (to me at least).

It needs brewing for a longer time, and I like to have it with milk and honey, or black with a lemon slice.

Herbal tea is definitely not essential mind, maybe stick to clipper decaff :D

Soldato
IMO it's not about diets, it's about lifestyle changes. The word 'diet' has a negative connotation and is often temporary.

I lost about 20KG 7 years ago, initially by making key lifestyle changes. No more chocolate or sugary drinks was a start, along with looking at the traffic lights on foods and ignoring everything with amber or green for saturated fat.

I've since moved on to regular running and visits to the gym (when open), but my initial 20KG weight loss was primarily due to key lifestyle changes as above.

Soldato
Whilst I entirely agree, it is about a lifestyle change... I would say the thing that lost you the 20kg looks to be the change in diet? I personally would say your 'lifestyle' change when you also started exercising?

Soldato
I agree, there was a change in diet - that was a lifestyle change. But it wasn't a 'diet' diet. I never once said to myself "I'm going on a diet', and never followed a prescribed diet.

The weight loss was before I joined a gym and kicked on to the next phase of my recovery. I now run ultras and OCR, providing me with goals to continue running and going to the gym.

Soldato
Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying, if I said to someone that they need to change their lifestyle and they just cut out chocolate and sugar drinks (I don't mean to make that sound small and I know there will be more than that...) to me that's not it. That's cutting some things out. Tbf, that's not even 'trying to eat healthy' as you might still be on pizza and kebabs. :)

14 months ago I changed my lifestyle. I ate better (so not that I cut things out, I tried to change what I ate. Healthier generally, like you, not a set diet, just eating better and counting calories. I've probably eaten more fruit and veg in the last 12 months than I did in the rest of my life!) and started to exercise a lot. In my opinion that is changing lifestyle. (I lost about 40kg in 7 months)

Again, I don't mean to be a douche about it, I guess I thought it just rather contradictory that you said it wasn't all about diet, then explained how the big change happened when you changed your diet :)

Soldato
Not at all. It's good to have a discussion about it, and I can talk about it until the clouds come home regarding what worked for me.

There's a difference between your diet (everyone has a diet, be it good or bad), but going on a diet is different. I did not 'go on a diet', I changed my diet through lifestyle changes.

Soldato
I did not 'go on a diet', I changed my diet through lifestyle changes.

No, I never said go on a diet. I never really say I went on a diet either aside maybe just to simplify it for people asking what I did. I guess we'll agree to disagree though, but well done all the same. I do find it annoying when people moan about not being able to lose weight, but then you see they simply aren't prepared to put the effort in. (Or can't control their urges)

Soldato
Let's not argue over semantics chaps.

The difference between a diet, and a lifestyle change is that of duration. A diet is temporary, a lifestyle change is permanent. The former may lead to the latter though, and that's awesome.

Cutting our crisps, chocolate, caffeine etc will net results, more for some, less for others. A small step for someone, may be a huge step for someone else, it's all relative.

With diet (not dieting!) alone, you can transform your body and your health. What we call it doesn't really matter, it's sticking to it that makes all the difference.

If you've lost weight, you've done great, and we should all applaud that, regardless of a difference in method.

Soldato
A diet is temporary

Again, I'll happily simply agree to disagree with you guys. 'A diet' might be something you do on a temporary basis, but 'your diet' is what you eat. @Bonjour has said he didn't diet, he changed his diet. Two different things. I do get your point though, that a long term change in diet could be considered a change in lifestyle. Again, my point was simply around from 'Its not about diet' to 'I lost the most weight when I changed my diet' seem to contradict. :)

I don't want to cause a big argument though, as we all seem to agree and I don't want to be the cause of negativity. It's a great achievement to be proud of to change lifestyle for the better, through diet and exercise, so I will step out of the conversation. Keep it up and be an inspiration to others :)

Back
Top Bottom